The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Joyo JE-307 barndoor pre-amp mini-review

I just finished restoring/rescuing a neglected Martin DRS1 that had a hole in the side.

So, I squared off the hole and installed a Joyo JE307 (super ultra cheap) pre-amp, mostly because it had a built-in tuner and covered the hole nicely.

I just fired it up and played a little. I am very surprised. All the controls give a great deal of tonal variation and the output is quite loud and clean and sounds pretty true.

I have a viscerally negative reaction to piezo quack and this didn't have any of that.

Look, it's not even a modest quality audio part - the thing cost me $17 on Amazon, but I could not believe how respectable it was.

Totally, totally, surprised and impressed.

The piezo pickup wire was quite thick so it might cause a saddle to sit a little higher and the plastic is delicate and breaks easily. So, typical low-cost stuff but, again, totally pleasantly surprised. Even the tuner accuracy and response is tolerable (in a pinch).

If looking for a cheap barn door option (which I never would unless I had a hole in a guitar) this one is OK.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-02-2017, 11:29 PM

Not that surprised. I have a couple of their pedals. They're quiet and seem to be well made. That and if you read the reviews of their products on Amazon, you'll find they are broadly liked. Don't think they'll be threatening Strymon any time soon but for basic gear, they seem to be working out pretty well for their customers.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:54 PM

I know this is an old thread but I have this pickup installed and cut the piezo off, soldered a JJB Prestige 330 (just like a K&K) and it's amazing. No quack, resistant to feedback, super natural sounding, ipeadance seems to match well, 5 band eq, with tuner, phase.
Been using it professionally for years .
Just ordered another JJB but I'll try it in a fishman version with the mic for my other guitar!
Old 07-24-2020, 03:40 AM

Good to know, thanks for that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification