The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-29-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Ever heard Trance Audio pick ups?

I played a guitar with this system a few weeks ago and I thought it had a really great sound, much more like the guitar that is was installed than I've heard other systems able to replicate. Anyone have experience on their guitars with Trance pick ups?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Trance is building quite a following on here. There is something to the hype.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaster View Post
I played a guitar with this system a few weeks ago and I thought it had a really great sound, much more like the guitar that is was installed than I've heard other systems able to replicate. Anyone have experience on their guitars with Trance pick ups?
Yes, I have experience with Trance products and like them. Trance Audio Amulet systems are really good and for more information check them out here: Trance Audio
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-29-2016, 01:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaster View Post
Yep.

Here's a short video from a session we did a few years ago.

Since then, I've uploaded several other videos recorded in the studio, in our store, in small restaurants & on big stages.
I compiled a sample of them in a Trance Audio YouTube playlist if you'd like to see (and hear) more. I simply love this system.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 12-29-2016, 02:40 PM

They seem to be the AGF flavor of the month. (Like K&K was a few years ago)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Use the Trance Mono in a D-35, and love it. Had the Stereo Trance in a 12 fret Gibson a few years ago, and loved it. I put a K&K in my '57 Gibson J-50, and wish I'd have put in the Trance. They aren't hype.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrlrZlLUAY
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 12-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Trance has been around for ages, so I wouldn't quite label them as flavor of the month. The FRAP, which is basically the same thing, came out in the 80s, and has been legendary ever since. People like Neil Young, Michael Hedges, and Jackson Browne have been using one or the other forever.

There has been a bit more attention to Trance lately here on AGF because the new Trance-M module has taken it out of the realm of a boutique "custom install". The Amulet was always considered to be at the top end of pickups sonically, but not too many people were going to go for the earlier stereo system when it meant a special cable, special breakout box, high price + high price install (my first Trance system ran me about $700 installed, if I recall), plus probably sending your guitar somewhere to have it done. The new M model eliminated all those barriers, so now it's a very feasible option for anyone. Price competitive with other systems, and easy enough for any guitar tech to install, or even to do yourself.

I'm checking out the newest rev, the phantom powered version, which is very cool. No batteries in the guitar, which makes the install even easier!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Trance has been around for ages, so I wouldn't quite label them as flavor of the month. The FRAP, which is basically the same thing, came out in the 80s, and has been legendary ever since. People like Neil Young, Michael Hedges, and Jackson Browne have been using one or the other forever.
Doug,

I was talking to Gary Hull, a month or so ago, and I mentioned the FRAP connection to him and he kind of downplayed it saying something like the Amulet transducer is multi-planar or multidimensional in its vibrational sensing and not just three-dimensional like the FRAP. He also said the Amulet has more than three sensing elements inside to accomplish its function. I hope I haven't misunderstood what he was saying and maybe Gary will come on here and give us an explanation of what the Amulet is.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
Use the Trance Mono in a D-35, and love it. Had the Stereo Trance in a 12 fret Gibson a few years ago, and loved it. I put a K&K in my '57 Gibson J-50, and wish I'd have put in the Trance. They aren't hype.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrlrZlLUAY
Dan, nice amplified tone in the video!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Doug,

I was talking to Gary Hull, a month or so ago, and I mentioned the FRAP connection to him and he kind of downplayed it saying something like the Amulet transducer is multi-planar or multidimensional in its vibrational sensing and not just three-dimensional like the FRAP. He also said the Amulet has more than three sensing elements inside to accomplish its function. I hope I haven't misunderstood what he was saying and maybe Gary will come on here and give us an explanation of what the Amulet is.
Yeah, I want to ask Gary more about that, too. I don't know the exact history here. I'm sure the Trance's design has been updated - as we can see by the new models, there's ongoing design, clearly. The transducer could be quite different from the FRAP internally, but if you hold 2 in your hand at the same time, the legacy/similarity will be pretty clear. If I recall, the FRAP was originally meant to be attached externally with putty or something, like the Barcus Berry that was out around the same time, so that has changed too.

But in any case, my main point was that Trance pickups have been around a while. I'm thinking I had my first stereo system installed around 2008? Not sure. There are a number of good pickups out these days, but Trance certainly is one of the top contenders.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of the Trance pickup. I've tried many many different brands (not nearly to the extent of the mighty Doug Young) but have come to the conclusion that SBT type pickups have some of the best tonal options for the money and in my opinion the Trance has the best options of all the SBT. I like that it is active and most of all I like that it uses double sided tape instead of glue.

Having said that, I have gotten really great sound from a K&K which, although passive, sends a hotter signal and for the money is hard to beat. Same can be said for the BMG Elevation which is very much like a K&K and even less money

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification