The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM

i play 7 string acoustic and added the DiAddario flattops for the high 5 strings to go with the flat wound i was already using for the bottom two strings.
i love the balance they create. i am not looking for a traditional acoustic sound with a lot of high end though.
They are not too expensive and they last a long time too
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 PM

I use TI Jazz Swings (13's) with a substituted .018 wound for the b string. Go for it.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 PM

Well, I sprung for some D'addario chromes. Light gauge. I'll put them on hopefully tomorrow and let you guys know what I think of the change. Thanks for all the input. It's been informative and helpful..
Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM

I have an Eastman AR810CE. I currently have TI Bebop 12s on which I believe are the best compromise between the smooth sound of TI Swing flats and actual acoustic strings. They sound good both acoustic and amplified. I also have had Ti Swings on and while not as loud as the Bebops, they are not dull. Still a good sound.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I have an Eastman AR810CE. I currently have TI Bebop 12s on which I believe are the best compromise between the smooth sound of TI Swing flats and actual acoustic strings. They sound good both acoustic and amplified. I also have had Ti Swings on and while not as loud as the Bebops, they are not dull. Still a good sound.
Did you ever try TI George Benson?

Last edited by kkfan; 05-14-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:06 AM

Hi,

just get out and buy some TI flatwounds (not the expensive G. Benson) and try it.

You might like it or not. The choice of the right strings is a matter of taste.

Try TI Plectrum as well. They sit somewhere between normal strings and flats.

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
They are expensive, but many have reported that once you try Thomastik Infeld George Benson, you won't look at another string set. They not only sound great, but also they feel different (smoother and more comfortable).

http://www.amazon.com/Thomastik-Infe...homastik+GB112
Same goes for Thomastik's JS flatwounds. I use JS112s. Thomastik uses a thinner ribbon wrap and thinner ribbon equals more winds per inch. That's what gives Thomastik strings their unique feel. But warning - once you've tried them, no other flatwound string will do. They may be expensive but they last far longer than other strings I've tried and they even improve with age, IMO.
Strings and Beyond just had a 20% off coupon for Thomastik. Plus free shipping over $35. I picked up three sets.

The code is 20OFFTHI and it still appears to be active.

Last edited by RobertD0; 05-14-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add code
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 PM

Well sorry to be so long in responding back to this. I just never got around to putting on the D'addario chromes until today (Yeah, lazy is the word). Anyway, i do like the way they sound. I know the bronze strings I had on were old and dull sounding anyway but I am enjoying the sound of the chromes so far. Sorry to admit but I have no good way to record for sound bites.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy D View Post
I've been using D'Addario "Silk and Steels" on my acoustic Godin 5th Ave for some time now and like the sound. (jazz box kind of feel)
As said earlier though it's all about person taste.
I was thinking of trying those on my Guild (Savoy 150A). I will order a set.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:04 AM

I've been using Martin Retros on my 48 Epiphone Blackstone and my 1920 Gibson L3. Very nice sound. Works well with my DeArmond pickup when I use that occasionally too.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy D View Post
I've been using D'Addario "Silk and Steels" on my acoustic Godin 5th Ave for some time now and like the sound. (jazz box kind of feel)
As said earlier though it's all about person taste.
I strung my Guild (a150 Savoy) with the LaBella Silk and Steels. It plays and sounds great. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:39 AM

Default Thomastik Infeld Plectrum

I have a '36 Gibson L7 which I struggled to find strings for. Whatever I put on sounded too bright and seemed to fight me back. I tried a set of Thomastik Plectrum and what a transformation! The acoustic tone is warm and jazzy and they are a dream to play - the guitar has turned into a pussycat! I also have a Takamine acoustic EG523SC with a spruce top and maple back, sides and neck, a stunning looker but almost brittle in acoustic tone, though fabulous amplified. I put some Thomastiks on that with the same outcome - warm tone, easy to play. A word of warning, though. These strings take around 24 hours to gain their tone, so don't be put off with the sound when you first fit them.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Plus 1 on the Thomastik-Infelds! Smooth, relaxed, jazzy feel--present without new-string harshness. I use the Spectrum but they're all terrific. And they do last!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM

So I went from the roundwound TI Bebop 12s to the flatwound TI Swing 13s. Way better amplified and the acoustic sound is just as good, just a little smoother. My beef with the Bebops is the G string is unwound. I am not going back.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Default flats

Yup. I've got TI flats on my Andersen Streamline. The guitar is so lightly built and loud acoustically that flats work beautifully on it. Plenty of volume etc. A different sound is all. I play solo jazz guitar so I don't need to 'cut through'. I prefer the mellower sound and I love the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops