The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Default SM-81 vs JJB SBT

I do not know if I posted this here previously as I could not find it in the search.

About 8 months ago, I made a comparison of the Shure SM-81 vs the JJB SBT pickup. Recording was done simultaneously with no effects or EQ on either channel. I tested the two using an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 as the preamp and digital converter. The room was not perfect for recording (mic could have sounded better) and I did not use a DI for the JJB SBT (piezos could have sounded better). The guitar was a Recording King RD-316 (Adi top/Hog B&S).

There are three comparisons; fingerpicked, flatpicked, and strummed. The first is a 50/50 blend, then just the JJB and finally the SM-81.

What do you think? Which would you be more comfortable with in a live situation? Which would you be comfortable with in a recording situation?

Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp

Last edited by drguitar001; 12-28-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Recording: Shure SM81
Live: in a typical live venue, JJB
Live: in a non-reflective surface, quiet venue, maybe both or just the SM81
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-31-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Thanks for listening ST, I feel similarly. However I'm not sure that the 81 would ever work well in a PA system of any volume nearby. I have used LDC mics occasionally when I need to be heard with the PA in a different room.

As I mentioned above, the mic recordings could have been better in a better recording environment. And the piezo would have sounded light years better through a decent DI and with a tiny bit of EQ. But for the recording it made sense to put nothing in the recording, pre or post, so apples to apples could be compared.
Martin: M-38, 000-15, Recording King RD-316, Enya (Carbon Fiber) X4 Pro, Silver Creek T160, Gretsch Americana Acoustic, Seagull M12, S8 (mandolin), Great Divide Camp guitar, Ibanez RS135, AM73 Giannini Flat Series Classical, Craviola Classical, Jay Turser JT134, Casio PG380 Digital guitar, Hohner Fretless (Steinberger) Bass, Kala Acacia Ubass, M Duffey: Celtic Harp
Old 12-30-2016, 10:31 PM

They all sounded about like I would expect. The piezo will also sound different through a PA than on a direct recording. Adding a little of just about any kind of microphone live will help, too - it doesn't need to be fancy. For your recordings I liked the 50/50 the best.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
They all sounded about like I would expect. The piezo will also sound different through a PA than on a direct recording. Adding a little of just about any kind of microphone live will help, too - it doesn't need to be fancy. For your recordings I liked the 50/50 the best.
Thanks and thanks for listening! Folks seem to regularly ask if recording through their onboard pickup is a good idea, and frankly I don't think so. However, acoustic guitar pickups definitely have their place in live performance, both in feedback control and ease of use.

i recently played with a bluegrass trio and we used just one condenser microphone to amplify all of us and our instruments. The sound through the PA was very nice and the blend was perfect. However, the PA we were playing through was in the next room, so the chance of feedback was zero. I'm not sure we could have gotten away with that setup with the PA nearby.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification