The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Default Routing Two Devices to One Input

Here's the deal: I have a line running from guitar/preamp to instrument input on my Loudbox Mini. Another line runs from iPhone (playing iTunes) to the aux input on the Loudbox Mini. The Mini sits across the room when I play. I want to combine both sources into one cable to plug into the Mini. Would an AB-Y pedal like this one work without degrading the audio? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ABY

Or how about a cheap "mixer" like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX400

Same question: Will it work without degrading the sound. I don't want to go with a full size mixer. I'm trying to simplify and downsize the setup.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 PM

In theory, both of those items would work.

The thing is, the signal from your iPhone, would be going into the front of the amp, through the EQ.

The Aux input, I'm assuming, skips the preamp EQ stage and goes straight to the power amp.

So, yes, you'll be able to do it, but your music with be affected by your EQ settings.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 PM

There are so many pedals out there that have aux plug ins. Loopers, voice pedals, tone coloring pedals, modeling pedals and more not mentioned. You may want to explore if you're interested in something more than just an ABY pedal. Just a quick glance at my pedal board and it looks like my Zoom A3, JamMan Solo, Ditto 2x and Vocalist Live FX all have the ability for aux in.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-01-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post
In theory, both of those items would work.

The thing is, the signal from your iPhone, would be going into the front of the amp, through the EQ.

The Aux input, I'm assuming, skips the preamp EQ stage and goes straight to the power amp.

So, yes, you'll be able to do it, but your music with be affected by your EQ settings.
That's right, the Aux In skips the preamp/EQ stage. Two things: First, I set the EQ flat on the Loudbox Mini and use my standalone preamp to adjust EQ. Second, I could plug the combined signals into the Aux In jack on the Mini. Whichever input sounds best. At 25 bucks there's no harm in trying the little Behringer Micromix. It would live on my pedal board and save me from running an extra 10' instrument cable to the amp. The AB-Y box is a little costlier, but it doesn't require a power supply - a battery can be installed to power the LEDs. I just wanted to run it by the folks on the Forum in case there was something I was overlooking.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-01-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
There are so many pedals out there that have aux plug ins. Loopers, voice pedals, tone coloring pedals, modeling pedals and more not mentioned. You may want to explore if you're interested in something more than just an ABY pedal. Just a quick glance at my pedal board and it looks like my Zoom A3, JamMan Solo, Ditto 2x and Vocalist Live FX all have the ability for aux in.
Unfortunately, here's nothing on my sparse pedal board with an aux-in.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-01-2017, 08:10 PM

Maybe just a small mixer. I do this with guitar in, mic in, iPod in and then run a cable with dual(two) mono 1/4" on one in and then 1/8" stereo on the other. I input this into the back of the LB mini (aux in). The master volume on the LB mini controls this volume. Eq is done at my feet as the small mixer fits on my pedalboard. This gives a more true stereo signal, which you may or may not like.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:10 AM

I don't understand if you are try to optimize your cabling or achieve something different. Anyway, another option could be to plug into the auxin of the amp a bluetooth receiver and stream from your iphone. It costs 18 bucks.. bluetooth has a bit of delay, so it would not work for a guitar, but for a base yes.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00I59VBH4

If you instead want to use only one channel, the Behringer micromix is a good tool. Beware about ABY boxes, not all of them allow A and B together. On the contrary, most of them allow only switching between A and B, not mixing them.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
I don't understand if you are try to optimize your cabling or achieve something different. Anyway, another option could be to plug into the auxin of the amp a bluetooth receiver and stream from your iphone. It costs 18 bucks.. bluetooth has a bit of delay, so it would not work for a guitar, but for a base yes.

If you instead want to use only one channel, the Behringer micromix is a good tool. Beware about ABY boxes, not all of them allow A and B together. On the contrary, most of them allow only switching between A and B, not mixing them.
That's a great idea!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I am trying to optimize/simplify my cabling. I prefer to run the iPhone through an EQ pedal before going into the aux-in on the amp. Otherwise the audio is thin. So I have one cable going in the aux-in and the instrument cable going in the instrument-in. I want to eliminate one of those. I think the little Behringer "mixer" will work for me. I'll route both signals to one cable and plug it in the aux-in. (I'll use the line-out, not the instrument-out, from my preamp to the mixer.)
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-02-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofantom View Post
I am trying to optimize/simplify my cabling. I prefer to run the iPhone through an EQ pedal before going into the aux-in on the amp. Otherwise the audio is thin. So I have one cable going in the aux-in and the instrument cable going in the instrument-in. I want to eliminate one of those. I think the little Behringer "mixer" will work for me. I'll route both signals to one cable and plug it in the aux-in. (I'll use the line-out, not the instrument-out, from my preamp to the mixer.)
Have you tried running just your guitar into the Aux in, using your preamp for EQ, with nothing in the front end of the amp?

I feel like skipping the preamp stage of the amp might thin out your tone a bit.

Also, how do you control Aux volume? Just the Master Vol?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofantom View Post
Well, you should check the impedence of each input and output first. Otherwise your sound will suffer too much..
Old 01-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post
Have you tried running just your guitar into the Aux in, using your preamp for EQ, with nothing in the front end of the amp?

I feel like skipping the preamp stage of the amp might thin out your tone a bit.

Also, how do you control Aux volume? Just the Master Vol?
Not yet. If the tone suffers I'll run everything to the instrument-in. I can EQ the iPhone with my EQ pedal.

Yes the aux volume is controlled by the master volume. But I have volume control on my instrument preamp and the iPhone has volume control, plus input gain and volume on the EQ pedal.
Epiphone Dot

Last edited by fotofantom; 01-02-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Spelling/typos
Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Well, you should check the impedence of each input and output first. Otherwise your sound will suffer too much..
Yes, will be doing that.
Epiphone Dot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification