The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-27-2016, 04:56 AM

Default Another mic recommendation thread!

Hey all,

I know the subject has been done to death, but hopefully you can bear with me on this one I am wanting to buy a mic(s) primarily for my Martin 000, but also for the occasional Weissenborn track, and basic percussion (think tambourine, etc.).

I'm an audio newbie and my mic collection has a single SM58 for vocals From my research, I like the idea of a matched pair of small diaphragm condensers to experiment with various stereo recording setups, but open to suggestions from the gurus.

My Martin has a lovely, but slightly dark tone. I don't want to choose a dark mic that would make recordings too dark. I have also seen some people suggest a large diaphragm condenser for small body guitars to give them more 'oomph'.

The style of music I play is mainly pop/folk covers, and some fairly average original efforts. I want to record in a basic home studio I've built, roughly 10'x16'.

Currently I'm thinking of:

* Rode NT5/55/NT3
* sE Electronics sE5

I've heard that the Rode mics are reasonably bright (hopefully not too much though!) so that may work well with a darker sounding guitar. Dunno... as I said, I'm very much an audio newb. The mic(s) will be run into my Focusrite Scarlett interface.

Please bear in mind that some non-mainstream equipment can be tricky to get here in Oz. Budget is $300-400 (USD).

Thanks in advance,
John

Last edited by jaginn; 12-27-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Default Bump

Nobody can help me out with a recommendation? In return I will promise to never post my recordings on this forum
Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 AM

If you think your Martin has a
slightly lightly dark tone you might be better off with a small diaphragm mic(s).

However, you will find mic positioning to be more critical. On my rich guitars I find an XY near the neck join (or the Bob Womack version) is always better than aiming one mic at the bridge (always sounds too muddy).

So, whichever mic you end up with - experiment with positioning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 AM

The Røde mics aren't really that bright, compared to the MXLs and other Chinese ones.

I have a pair of the Røde M5s that I use for instruments, and they sound fine.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Musical minimalist

Save yourself some cash and try these first......I recorded and gigged with these quite a bit and was pretty happy with the results. Comes with stereo bar and windscreens in a nice carry pouch.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...tUUaAl3q8P8HAQ

Old 12-29-2016, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Ive all but ruled out the NT5s as I don't think I need to spend that much for my needs.

Midwinter - the M5s seem to get good reviews and look like good value for money. Down to these or the se5s I think. The se5s might be a bit more versatile (bass rolloff etc) and come with stereo bar, shock mount and flight case but are just over double the price.

Fitness - I looked at the C-2s initially but was willing to spend a bit more. Reviews seem mixed on these mics but the samples ive heard sound decent against the M5s too.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:17 PM

My experience was that the matched pair of Rode NT5 mics I bought were very trebly and sibilant. Traded them out for some Shure KSM 137s and found a much more acoustically balanced and pleasing tone.

sE5s mics look rather nice....good specs.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 12-29-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Musical minimalist

another cool little SD mic if you want to spend more is the Audix ADX51

https://reverb.com/item/2388386-audi...odPJgIaA&pla=1

Old 12-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

I use a Rode NTK with the pre-amp. Sounds pretty darn good on all my guitars. If it broke, I'd buy it again.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I use a Rode NTK with the pre-amp. Sounds pretty darn good on all my guitars. If it broke, I'd buy it again.
I'll second the NTK. Makes a guitar sound Big. Think they're Oz mics too aren't they?
Old 12-30-2016, 01:40 AM

You don't mention your budget, although I'm getting a sense of it in the posts. There's a huge spread, cost-wise, all the way from $8-12k Neumanns and Telefunkens to sub $100.00 MIChina mics.

One that I found that I've been impressed with is the large diaphragm (gold spluttered), multi-pattern tube condenser from Carvin, called the CTM100, costing $239.00. It's very similar to the Avantone CV12 (at about $500.00), and both are based on the venerable Telefunken AR51 design that'll set you back about $2k.

The Carvin CTM100 is a shockingly good mike for the price, and I think it would take a very well-trained ear to tell the difference between it and far more expensive mikes of similar design.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-30-2016, 03:45 AM

MXL 603s SDC are supposed to be quite good for small SDC mikes at about $80 and get some good praise over at at GS.

As a rookie you will find a single LDC easier to work with and get good results.

After that is mastered then moving to stereo miking with two LDC or MS can be easier then SDC.

You can record a mono track and use your Daw to create a stereo effect to start with.

If you must have stereo SDC then some fairly descent budget ones like ones mentioned or other are enough to get you going.

Until your mikes are the weak link they will be more then adequate. That means your interface, tracking, mixing, recording techniques, recording space, talent, etc all would have to exceed the ability of the mic before upgrading them would be required.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:38 PM

Mischief - that sounds sensible. I don't want to invest too much given my level of (in)experience. For that reason I decided to buy a pair of Rode M5 SDCs and an AT2035 LDC. Figured I can experiment with both, although the 2035 will be primarily for vocals, replacing my current SM58. Hopefully I've done the right thing

Thanks everyone
Old 12-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default ROOM TREATMENT?!?!

Aloha jaginn,

Don't invest much money or time into recording mic's until you treat your space. It's a waste of time & money. The biggest bang for any recording signal chain is Room Treatment, which doesn't need to be expensive or even portable.

DIY Treatment info links (check out the video's):

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Don't save Room Treatment for last as many players do. Do it right the first time. It's the only way to achieve consistency in recording, at any level of inve$tment. PM me if you have questions about studio condenser quality mic's or DIY OC703 Treatment.

I've made many DIY broadband absorbers on the cheap that work very well in controlling or eliminating early room reflections. Two to six of those 4"x2'x4' (two 2"x2'x4' OC 703's glued together) absorbers should get you started off nicely. No special tools or materials needed to make them (Walmart). Owens-Corning OC 703 rigid fiberglass you can get/order from Acoustic Material Suppliers. Mineral or fiber wool may be more readily available down under.

Good Luck

alohachris

PS: Egg Crates, "acoustic foam" & mover's blankets are NOT effective Room Treatment.

PPS: Don't use an SM-58 for recording. I'm Not a fan of most of the cheaper MXL's (their MCA SP-1 LDC is an exception - great value at $59) or Rode mic's (especially the NT-5 SDC's because of ear fatigue when you're mixing & requires a lot of EQ to roll off those shrill upper-mid's & trebles).

Look at a pair of Oktava MK-012 SDC's or ADK A6 MDC's to start off on instruments. For vocals, try out many LDC mic's, & let your voice decide. The CAD M179 or Rode NTK pretty good affordable LDC's for vocals. A used Mojave MA-200 LDC would be greater ($400-700). Much cheaper, the Audio-Technica AT-2020 LDC. Look for used mic's at AGF & gearslutz classifieds - lotsa value choices - alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 12-30-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Default Room Treatment

Thanks for the links Chris. Admittedly I have invested a big fat zero in room treatment. My 'studio' is essentially a 10x16' empty rectangle with a large desk so would probably have quite a bit of reflection going on. I will look into this more seriously though, particularly for LDC use. Have depleted my meager savings right now though (3 young children will do that to you!).

My PC is also a bit noisy but i cant afford to replace it at this stage. Room treatment may assist with this too. Will try to get some pics of the space.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, mic, rode nt5