The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2016, 01:04 PM

Default Rechargeable 9V Batteries

Just learned about these. Anyone have experience with them? Do they work fine? Are they worth getting? How do they compare with regular 9V batteries? Recommendations on which one to buy? Thanks!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 12-20-2016, 02:57 PM

I have used various brands of these, but have ended up going back to normal non rechargeable ones as they last so much longer.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:13 PM

Great to know, thanks!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 12-20-2016, 03:49 PM

A while ago I got some high grade 9.3V rechargeables. (Normally such NiMh cells are 7.2V rated.) They were said to be good for RF transmitters and so on.

But using them in a stompbox that was just an A-B switching device, they lasted about an hour. So unless you have been recommended to use them, I would say, avoid.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 PM

I disagree. I bought eight and a recharger off amazon.com. Have not yet used one in my preamp but have been using one in my beeper collar for my bird dog for three months. It is holding it's charge very well, even in freezing cold weather. Maybe like all batteries, quality varies. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by lt20dbl; 12-20-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:59 PM

Thanks guys! Anyone know about how long it will last in a typical barn door onboard guitar preamp?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Thanks guys! Anyone know about how long it will last in a typical barn door onboard guitar preamp?
In my experience it's weeks as oppose to months with a non rechargeable
Old 12-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yellow View Post
.........Normally such NiMh cells are 7.2V rated..........
This is true of NiCd and many other rechargeable batteries (1.2V per cell). So the voltage is almost half-dead even with a full charge, compared to an alkaline (1.5V per cell). If you have a device that is sensitive to low battery voltage you will have problems, including short battery life. It's not a major problem if you know going in and plan battery changes accordingly.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:45 PM

I easily get 3-4 weeks of weekend church services on a Taylor ES-T, and longer in a Martin with a Fishman barn door preamp. Actually, I'm sure I could get longer than that still, but since they're rechargeable I typically pull them out and recharge them proactively. It's not really a big deal to toss them in a charger overnight and I keep a spare. Plus, in my mind, it drastically reduces the chemicals that might someday leach into water supplies or otherwise contaminate natural resources with constantly discarding single-use batteries. I typically buy the Tenergy NiMH high capacity 9v from Amazon, which have a higher mA rating than the low self-discharge variety IIRC.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks guys, gonna try the Tenergys.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:29 PM

I try and avoid batteries in every circumstance I can. The only thing that uses batteries on stage, for me, is the guitar. I can't say that I have found it to be particularly satisfactory, but. The guitar is nearly 40 years old so the electronics are probably well over their shelf life.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Since both my Cooltube preamp (4 AA) & wireless (2 AA) eat batteries, I have found the Energizer rechargeables wonderful & a money saver. I do 2 to 4 or 5 four hour shows a week & then recharge the Cooltube set. The wireless I recharge after each show but keep a second set to swap out while other set charges. Works for me!
Old 12-26-2016, 05:06 PM

Like 'Nole' I too use a Tak w' cooltube (AA's) and they are not gentle on batteries. I also use energiser rechargeables and carry spares. charge up after every gig. No issues at all over the last couple of years. Have a few 9v too for a couple of things.

I suspect though that the actual life is sliding a little so replacements probably due over the course of this year.

Kris
Old 12-26-2016, 06:29 PM

I like the two before me have a Takamine with cool tube preamp, an awesome preamp that equally is awesome at eating batteries. I bought a smart Varta ultra quick charger.
Charges in 15minutes and lasts comparable to standard AA I was using.
I have two sets of AA one normal capacity and ones with extra capacity. The extra capacity ones are slightly bigger and a bit squeezy to get in the preamp so I prefer the regular rechargeable.

The charger is awesome though.
15minute charge is for two 1600mah batts 4 batts takes 30minutes to 70% so in real terms 4 AA takes about an hour but they are also smart charged and truely at full capacity when done. The charger has a fan and temperature sensing to charge the batteries proper. But does not do 9v but I have not looked to see if there is a 9v version.

http://www.varta-consumer.com/en/pro...fastchargernew
Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM

When ni-cads go dead, they give no warning and go quickly. I tried them in my SLG100S and only got about an hour (with onboard reverb active) per battery. With alkaline I get about 3 hours. I can't speak for the other types of rechargeable batteries (nickel metal hydride, or lithium ion)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification