The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Default Installing Fishman Ellipse Blend and Matrix Infinity

I inadvertantly bought a Fishman Ellipse Blend, thinking it was a Fishman Matrix Ellipse Blend. My mistake. The Ellipse Blend is the previous model before they started packaging the two (preamp, undersaddle pick-up) together.

So I bought a Matrix Infinity undersaddle pick-up and I'm trying to figure out how these two products of different vintages fit together.

The Matrix Infinity has a 5 wire cable coming out that goes to a controller I'm sure I need to disconnect and connect to the Ellipse Blend. However, the EB has only a 4 wire cable coming out. Hmmm.....

Here's the Matrix Infinity Undersaddle Pick-up

Here's the close up of the control unit I believe I have to remove to connect it to the Ellipse Blend (Note the 5 wires)

Here's the Ellipse Blend (Note the 4 wires)

I'm almost ready to return the Matrix Infinity and sell the Ellipse Blend here on the Buy & Sell, but in the event this is a more simple fix...your input is appreciated.

Dogfood1
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM

Default Hmmm

I'm beginning to wonder if I have 2 preamps here....
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM

They are both preamps. You need an undersaddle PU for either or both.

If I wasn't under a "no new gear" promise, I would buy the Ellipse Blend from you. I played one in a Martin... nice.
Fender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster Standard
Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s
Epiphone: '11 ES 339 Pro
PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SE
Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom
Squier: '99 Precision Bass
Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks Joe -

I got word from Fishman today. They rock! They said it could be done, just a little rewiring. They even send me a wiring diagram that I'm pretty sure the guy there just put together for me. I'm going to lose the ability to change from flat voicing to bass boosted voicing on the fly (requires a switch inside the Infinity). But I think that's the only tradeoff.

Seems like a logical mod, but who knows...

Dogfood
Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 PM

Default I'm in the same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
Thanks Joe -

I got word from Fishman today. They rock! They said it could be done, just a little rewiring. They even send me a wiring diagram that I'm pretty sure the guy there just put together for me. I'm going to lose the ability to change from flat voicing to bass boosted voicing on the fly (requires a switch inside the Infinity). But I think that's the only tradeoff.

Seems like a logical mod, but who knows...

Dogfood
I realize this is a very old post. But I am in the same situation. Found a NOS ellipse at a Boxing Day sale for $40, and have a matrix infinity.

I am wondering if you would happen to have this diagram still that you could send me?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification