The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Default TonewoodAmp review - Updated, post #2

I'm just getting into using this product and I've barely had time to scratch the surface but there are some things that are worth sharing since I know more than few people here are considering these based on recent posts.

I had been considering one of these for a while but was worried that it might be kind of gimmicky or I might tire of it quickly and at the full asking price I just couldn't pull the trigger although I'd come close a few times. I found one for a steal of a price so decided to go for it.

Install: Here was the first bit of an issue for me. I decided to put it into my Martin 00-18VS UMGF since this is the guitar that I 'noodle' around on most unplugged. I watched ALL of the videos (some twice) and they are good. I highly recommend anyone considering buying one do the same.

Installation was a bit hard for me because of the size of my arms and wrists. As a life-long competition-level tournament tennis player, my forearms and wrists are, well, huge. Okay, let's say above average. So getting that dang X-brace down into the position the way they show it (pretty much the only way you can) was a PITA. You basically need to have the arms of a 12-year-old ballerina to be able to do what they show in the video!

I used the guitar-body photos of where to place the TWA with the painters tape but I ended up having to move it farther up towards center as a cross-brace was in the way at the recommended position. So, in a 00-size Martin (at least mine) you have to locate the bottom edge of the TWA a good 1.75" from the bottom.

The install video tells you to make a couple 'trial runs' with the X-brace and that's good advice. I could tell this was not going to go as smooth as it did in the video. But I finally got the X-brace installed after ruining only one sticky pad - they give you extras. The two magnates the farthest from the sound hole are not perfectly and ideally centered because once I 'dropped' them, they stuck and I couldn't get my hand in there far enough to move them.

Operation: So I got the unit installed and it does work. I spent a good amount of time getting the feedback frequencies notched out. I ended up having three different frequencies to remove, right around 200, 400 and 800. There's a good video for this as well. Once I dialed all those out I was able to finally get the volume and gain up enough to notice the effect fairly well.

I only had time to play around with the Plate reverb which I chose because of all the videos I watched of people doing demos, that seemed to be the best. I'll need to play with the others a lot more. There are a lot of neat settings and features - a lot of thought went into the unit. I also have to get some fresh batteries as I was using older ones that were drained pretty quick during the notch process.

The only other feedback I have so far is the added weight and positioning. Because I had to move the unit farther up than I'd hoped/planned, the top edge of it does dig into my gut a bit. Not too bad and it should be noted that I've got a pretty good sized gut these days so this might not be a big deal for those of you that are smaller or have larger bodied guitars. It does not get uncomfortable so 'dig' is probably not the right word but I do notice it there.

As for weight, the guitar with the X-brace and TWA installed is significantly heavier than without. Whereas I used to marvel at how light weight the guitar was when I lifted it off the wall now it feels like a freaking Les Paul!

So time will tell. I'll play around a bunch more and see if it's worth hanging on to. I don't plan to use it live or amplified. Right now it does seem to me to be a little on the gimmicky side, but in all fairness it's early. I'll update as I go.

Last edited by Methos1979; 12-21-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

It's nice (I guess) that no one commented as it makes putting the update in post #2 that much easier. Anyway, I was delinquent in posting an update partly because I've been busy with the holiday but also just really hadn't messed around with the TonewoodAmp since the last time. Finally went out and bought some new batteries and played with it the last few days.

I rewatched the video on the notch filters to try to get a handle on the feedback issues and it seemed to work at first. The problem is that I get two or sometimes three frequencies that feedback. I'll get one 'tamed' and then the other will start up and I seem to go back and forth hunting them down. I must be doing something wrong but the video is not super clear on the process to hunting down multiple feedback frequencies so if any of you out there have any tips, please share.

When I do get it to quiet down I find that I love it. Part of the problem is that you really have to have the volume cranked to max to get the most out of the tone which of course makes feedback more prevalent and difficult to control. It's a catch 22. I played with all the different effects and I pretty much only like the Plate reverb. The other reverbs are okay but not as good as the plate which is a very ethereal sound. All the other effects I found to be, well, useless. Delay might have some use but I'm not really a delay kinda guy anyway.

So, is the unit worth the price for just the one effect and the hassle of dialing it in? Or is it just an expensive gimmicky toy. I'd say for me at least the answers are yes and yes. I found myself sitting on the couch playing (I never sit when I play) for hours also using my Neck Up strap and playing through my mellow songs with the plate reverb going full bore was just very relaxing and enjoyable. I could definitely see me playing for friends unplugged and it being a hit. So I plan to keep it after all.

I might even order an extra X-brace for my other guitar. I currently have the TA installed on the Martin 00-18VS UMGF. That just seemed to be the better one. The SCGC OO is my 'workhorse' that gets the call for playing out while the Martin is more of a stay-at-home guitar. I doubt I'd ever use the TA out live although I would like to try it at an open mic where they just mic my guitar to see how it performs in that setting. I don't know if amplifying it that way through a PA would cause even more feed back issues. Worst case I could always just shut it off if it did.

I did contact the company via email to try to get some more sticky pads since I bunged up the first set with the difficult installation. It took a few weeks for them to reply at all and when they finally did they said they could send me some out for $5 per set and I said I'd take two. They were supposed to send me a PayPal invoice and I never heard back from them again. So maybe they are busy with the holidays and shipping out the new batch but not the most responsive customer service. I haven't pushed it since it's not a big deal anyway, but still. You can tell it's a small company by its relatively low-quality website and the 'small batch' runs they seem make.

Final thoughts are it's a fun little unit that will bring you enjoyment if you're just looking to get some cool reverb coming out of your guitar with no amp or power. There is a certain gimmickiness to it but there is also definitely a cool factor as well. It's fun, it sounds great when you get it dialed in and you'll impress your friends, both guitar players and non-guitar players. So it really depends on your expendable funds. You're looking at just south of $300 when shipping is factored in. I don't think I would pay that for what it does but since I got mine used for under $200 I think it's worth that. It will be interesting to see if future releases offer more features, better effects and a better price point.

Last edited by Methos1979; 12-21-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Hey Scott glad you like the TWA enough to keep it despite the feedback. I've had zero problems with feedback. I'm using it on a Webber Roundbody so maybe the OO is contributing to the feedback issues?? I don't need to turn the gain up much past half and volume of reverb and delay at 10 or 12 and I get plenty of fx and no feedback. Again maybe due to the larger body guitar. I haven't had to use the notch filters either. Tomorrow I'll mess with mine and see if I can create feedback then work backwards to eliminate it. I'll let you know if I am able to figure out a solution.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:34 AM

I have no feedback issues with mine after setting the internal gain. Very important to review the online manual to set it up. Once setup it works as advertised. I like the delay with reverb setting. The batteries lasted longer than I thought they would but I play with volume setting at 20.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

The last couple of times I played it I kept the volume down below 20 and the feedback was kept at bay. This was after going back in and doing the notching evolutions again. I did watch all the set up videos, some a couple times. I don't remember what I've got the gain set at though so I need to go back in and look at that.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The last couple of times I played it I kept the volume down below 20 and the feedback was kept at bay. This was after going back in and doing the notching evolutions again. I did watch all the set up videos, some a couple times. I don't remember what I've got the gain set at though so I need to go back in and look at that.
I think the key is in the Global Gain setting which can be reached by pressing the leftmost two knobs simultaneously. I had really horrible feedback before I changed that setting.

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 06:42 AM

I agree with Todd. Scot if you set that Global Gain I truly think you will have way less feedback. I think mine is set way down at 5%. I think the key is setting it depending on the sensitivity of your guitars amplification system.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranged View Post
I agree with Todd. Scot if you set that Global Gain I truly think you will have way less feedback. I think mine is set way down at 5%. I think the key is setting it depending on the sensitivity of your guitars amplification system.
Incidentally...mine is also set to 5%.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 12-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Incidentally...mine is also set to 5%.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Thanks for the tips, guys. You were right. I had initially set the gain at 50 (splitting the difference since it goes to 100) and never went back and tweaked that. I tried 5 but that was way too low for me. I dialed it up to 25 and got decent volume with no feedback.

I also went in and played with some of the other effects. Really don't like anything much other than reverb and of the three I like Plate best. Delay (with reverb) was okay but really doesn't offer much to the over all effect.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting a ToneWoodAmp thread here in Amplification that people can come to and post their settings and what works for them and what didn't along with what type of guitars and pickups they have. I figure it might be a good way for those trying out the systems to share their knowledge and help each other, much like you guys did for me here. I hope you will participate!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Thanks for the tips, guys. You were right. I had initially set the gain at 50 (splitting the difference since it goes to 100) and never went back and tweaked that. I tried 5 but that was way too low for me. I dialed it up to 25 and got decent volume with no feedback.

I also went in and played with some of the other effects. Really don't like anything much other than reverb and of the three I like Plate best. Delay (with reverb) was okay but really doesn't offer much to the over all effect.

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting a ToneWoodAmp thread here in Amplification that people can come to and post their settings and what works for them and what didn't along with what type of guitars and pickups they have. I figure it might be a good way for those trying out the systems to share their knowledge and help each other, much like you guys did for me here. I hope you will participate!
Sounds like a great idea! A mini database if you will. I think it will also be helpful to note the model of guitar.

Todd

Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Sounds like a great idea! A mini database if you will. I think it will also be helpful to note the model of guitar.

Todd

Agreed and done.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I noticed another 'issue' today and wondering if it's something wrong with my unit or just the way it is:

As stated in previous posts, these things eat batteries. Three AA's do not last a very long time. I haven't gone through enough yet to keep track and see just how many hours but I remember reading a post somewhere where the poster said they get about 9 hours out of a fresh set.

That said, I have noticed something the past couple times. It seems that when my batteries start to get 'weak' the unit just shuts off while playing. While not a big deal while playing around in my living room, it would be an annoyance playing out or in front of people.

The unit's battery 'level' is also pretty odd. During start up and shut down you get a numeric battery level that seems to run between 4.X down to 2.X. I use the variable X for the decimal number because it never seems to be the same. So I really have no idea what constitutes a 'full' battery charge and what is nearly drained. I do know that once the readings get down in low 3.X range is when the until will suddenly just turn off. I till turn back on and play for a while but eventually turn off.

Power management does not appear to be optimized for these units just yet...

Anyone else notice this with theirs?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification