The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Default Who has the D-18V with 1 3/4" Nut?

I read it, I beleive here, that one of the big Martin dealers was offering this. Anyone remember who? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 PM

Try Elderly Instruments. I believe they stock this variation.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Try Elderly Instruments. I believe they stock this variation.
Yeah, they carry a custom with the wide fingerboard and scalloped bracing but not the Vintage, with the wider board, vintage toner, bracing, tunersetc. Someone just posted it on here not long ago and it's like it dissapeared. People were mad because they loved the Vintage but like the wider nut. Hmmm.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMueller1 View Post
Yeah, they carry a custom with the wide fingerboard and scalloped bracing but not the Vintage, with the wider board, vintage toner, bracing, tunersetc. Someone just posted it on here not long ago and it's like it dissapeared. People were mad because they loved the Vintage but like the wider nut. Hmmm.
Try a D-18VS, 12 fret vintage with 1 3/4 board. Got one and love it. You can always special order.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Try a D-18VS, 12 fret vintage with 1 3/4 board. Got one and love it. You can always special order.
I've seen those but I think I'd miss those two frets and the access. They sound gnarly though. Some shop, not maury's or elderley did a custom run and I want to grab one..it's going to drive me bonkers :-)
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM

My gut tells me it's MFG but their site is down. What other dealers do customer runs like that besides Elderly, Maury's, Mandolin, and the big boxes? Thanks in advance. Matt
Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

5th String in berkley was doing D-18V's with Adi tops but I don't remember what the nut width was.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM

Have you considered a D-18GE, while it has the Mod V neck profile you get the wide nut and Adi top, they are truly great guitars.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 AM

Oh trust me, I have. I guess I need to look at it as a lifelong partner and just spend the extra cash :-) I have never seen a bad thing said about them.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Oh trust me, I have. I guess I need to look at it as a lifelong partner and just spend the extra cash :-) I have never seen a bad thing said about them.
If the wide nut and Mod V are not a problem then yes they are exceptional guitars, a D-18GE is just a model where everything works!!

And, as there are some folks who buy because they love the tone, but then have problems with the neck, there are some great used deals on GE's, and there is nothing wrong with carefully buying used, you get a good deal and older wood. Happy shopping!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Thanks...I think I figured out what it was. Someone was/is offering the GE but with the low profile neck as opposed to the mod v. It made some people mad since they had recently bought the GE with with mod neck. I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Thanks for everyones help though!

That's what it is.
MARTIN D-18 GOLDEN ERA CUSTOM GUITAR & CASE
LOW PROFILE NECK SHAPE - This custom guitar has a low profile neck with carved diamond behind the nut, gloss finish on the neck, and ebony bridge pins. Otherwise, construction specs are identical to the D-18GE. Neck block is stamped CUSTOM (no model number), no signed label inside. - Modeled after the 1934 D-18, select mahogany back & sides (with cloth reinforcement strips), Adirondack (red) spruce top, scalloped braces (with forward shifted X), ebony fretboard & bridge, abalone dot inlays, low profile neck (1-3/4" nut, 2-5/16" string spacing at bridge), tapered squared peghead with Brazilian rosewood overlay & old decal, Waverly nickel open-gear tuners, black binding with BWBWB inlay, dark tortoise pickguard & endpiece, fossil ivory nut & long saddle, ebony bridgepins, aging toner. With Geib style hardshell case.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks...I think I figured out what it was. Someone was/is offering the GE but with the low profile neck as opposed to the mod v. It made some people mad since they had recently bought the GE with with mod neck. I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Thanks for everyones help though!

That's what it is.
MARTIN D-18 GOLDEN ERA CUSTOM GUITAR & CASE
LOW PROFILE NECK SHAPE - This custom guitar has a low profile neck with carved diamond behind the nut, gloss finish on the neck, and ebony bridge pins. Otherwise, construction specs are identical to the D-18GE. Neck block is stamped CUSTOM (no model number), no signed label inside. - Modeled after the 1934 D-18, select mahogany back & sides (with cloth reinforcement strips), Adirondack (red) spruce top, scalloped braces (with forward shifted X), ebony fretboard & bridge, abalone dot inlays, low profile neck (1-3/4" nut, 2-5/16" string spacing at bridge), tapered squared peghead with Brazilian rosewood overlay & old decal, Waverly nickel open-gear tuners, black binding with BWBWB inlay, dark tortoise pickguard & endpiece, fossil ivory nut & long saddle, ebony bridgepins, aging toner. With Geib style hardshell case.
That is Elderly. They announced it last week.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...ms/D18GELP.htm
Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
That is Elderly. They announced it last week.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...ms/D18GELP.htm
Yep...I was confused...thought it was a vintage with a wider nut.....I'm just glad I figured it out finally...I wasn't going to be able to sleep until I did!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion