The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I have the low end of that line and have played some of the others. I believe you won't be disappointed CountryBlues. I think they are tremendous value for the money.

Vin
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM

If you know me- you know im not big on Chinese guitars -- but putting that aside , some really are very good guitars for the price thats charged for them- some are every bit as good as some upper end guitars -but really that varies from guitar to guitar -but remember not all Martins are created equal either -Ive played some dogs . If you take your time and play a bunch of them you might find one that makes you happy .I have had some very phenominal mid range guitars over the years I've been very happy with -including my old Yammie 12 string . but typically to find a top end guitar you usually have to pay for it now a days -but you never know , stranger things have happened -- good luck in your quest my friend !
Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Default Sam...

I will post some suggestions for US made guitars...

- Martin 000-15sm (My Favorite Guitars)

- Martin 000-15/00-15 (Martin recently upgraded the 15 series and the older models may be had for a reasonable price)

- Martin 000-15m/00-15m upgraded with a real rosette, small diamond and square inlays, and butterbean tuners...nice appointments.

If you need to have an 1 3/4 nut width for fingerpicking, then contact LA Guitar Sales (Ted) and see if you can get in on an custom order with Martin that features an 00-15m/OM-15m that have the upgrades, but add some binding and the wider nut (1 3/4 inch).

Also, check out the new standard series Guilds. The F-30 (an OM style guitar) features models in both rosewood or mahogany. If Mississippi John played one for blues, seems to me it would be worth checking out the new Guilds...now with bone nut and saddle and wider width at the nut (1 3/4 inch). Also made in the states.

Just suggestions.

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM

I just purchased a ROS-06. I really want a Martin OM/000/00, but had trouble finding time to get to a store to try a few, so I just ordered this one since it was incredibly inexpensive and I could try the wider nut and size. I really try to support the local economy and buy US, but this seemed like a good "gateway" guitar.

Anyway, it sounds pretty good - not in the same class as Martin, but also less than 1/10 the price. Solid top and laminated s/b. I have played many laminated, cheap imports, but this is clearly one of the better ones. 1 13/16" nut, but long scale (25.4") - an unusual combination but good for fingerpicking and strumming. I'm happy with it, but have only had it one day.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM

I have played the ROS-06 for about a week now. It sounds good played fingerstyle, but when I fingerpick harder, I am not crazy with the sound. It's like the strings slapping the fretwires generates an undesirable tone. Perhaps it is the saddle (which is supposed to be bone, but the quality of which may be dubious). But perhaps it could be the material used in the fretwires. They were actually a bit rough when I first got it and I brought it to the luthier for lookover and he smoothed them out a bit. Also, the width a the nut is wide and the neck a bit chunky.

It's made quite well and has a beautiful appearance with the tortoise shell binding and slotted headstock. I think a lot of people would be very happy with the guitar. It's WELL worth the money and quite useful as an inexpensive carry out guitar.

But, in the end, I decided I am going to send it back. I like the sound that comes from the body, but the sounds from the neck and/or saddle, while it is fine for lighter playing, will not suit me as well. I like to be able to play every one of my guitars with a pick, even if only infrequently. I have so many guitars, that each one has to fit in with the herd, or fills a gap.

I'll probably go ahead and get the Martin 000x1.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfawlty View Post
I have played the ROS-06 for about a week now. It sounds good played fingerstyle, but when I fingerpick harder, I am not crazy with the sound. It's like the strings slapping the fretwires generates an undesirable tone.
I've had two RNJ-25s, and both of them had a similar problem, which is solved very easily. Both guitars came from the factory with zero neck relief, and all it took to remedy that was a truss rod adjustment. The first guitar needed about a full turn, and the second one needed about 1/4 turn (in the counterclockwise direction, to loosen the truss rod).
Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 AM

I just got a RK ROS-647 a week ago, it's a beauty and the sound is sweet when played soft to medium finger style with thumb pick. I'm learning Irish ballads right now and it's providing a bunch of enjoyment. I've enjoyed it so much that I've learned 5 songs already; for me that's inspiration.

Though new the guitar was not set up since I got it off of Ebay as "used", it has never seen an owner; it just had a small blemish along the neck toward the highest fret. The intonation is not perfect. The second string is a little sharp at the 12th. Since I play with a capo and mainly on this guitar tuned DADGAD, the strings have a tendency to slap the frets a bit if strummed harder around the 7th-12th frets. The truss rod was about a 1/2 turn too tight to the right, so I loosened it out since there was no relief in the neck, then snugged it back to the point where I could just feel it tighten. I may have it professionally set up later, but for now I'm enjoying the heck out it.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 AM

About a month ago, I bought an RO-16 from my local dealer, by special order. My dealer, being familiar with RK guitars and variations in individual guitar quality with the same model number, recommended ordering 2 and let me choose between them. I picked the better sounding of the two and he hung the other on the wall to sell to someone else. Fit and finish were identical, sound was considerably different between the two - one being muted and the other was lively. The top wood on one was stripey, the other even and with some silking. Just 4 hours after bringing it home, the guitar cracked loudly, though I could see no damage. Over the next 3-4 days, the neck developed a bulge between the 14th - 20th frets and became unplayable above the 9th fret. I thought perhaps the 'crack' sound was in the neck join area, but then noticed that the bridge was coming up in the back. I returned it to the dealer who fixed the bridge - it had been poorly glued and the finish was under the bridge by 1/4 in the back. In fixing it, he traced the bridge, sanded the finish area to wood and re-glued it. A great fix.

But the RO-16 experience has made me a bit gun-shy for another RK guitar, simply because it is the most moisture sensitive guitar I've ever owned and I'm wondering if it's because RK is using either under-cured wood or has poor humidity controls in their factory. If I keep it at 50% humidity, the neck remains almost straight. There is still some peaking at about the 17th fret. IF the humidity dips to 40% the neck starts to bulge noticeably between the 14th and 20th frets. My dealer thinks it's because the neck block, rosewood fretboard and engelmann top are shrinking / expanding at different rates and are still a bit 'green'.

Since posting about this over on the RK forum, I've heard from one other RK owner in the UK, with an ROS-06, who has having the same bulging fretboard problem with that guitar. His ROS-06 replaced an ROS-16 which also had neck problems.

Still, I like the RO-16 very much, but have to baby it. My dealer believes it will be better next winter, after it has a year to 'cure' and acclimate. I don't want to give up on it yet.

Admittedly, the neck bulge problem is somewhat my fault. I'm from Seattle, where because of the cool marine climate there, never really had to worry about humidifying my guitars. Now I live in north central IL, and we've just come through a nasty winter. That huge blizzard was on us about the time the RO-16 had the neck bulge trouble. I ran 3 humidifiers, one a whole house unit in the same room with the guitar and still had humidity related trouble with the guitar. Once back in the store, which is a constant 50%, the bulge receded.

I have 5 other acoustic guitars, and none of them were even remotely as affected by the humidity as was the RO-16. I can only imagine it has to do with an 'under-cured' / aged guitar from RK. Perhaps it has to do with buying a guitar in the dead of winter, too. Who knows.

About the humidity issue, it was a real eye-opener to watch some of the "Chinese Guitar Factory Tour" videos on Youtube, to note the building itself and apparent lack of ventilation, etc., and then compare it with the "Martin Guitar Factory Tour" and "Larrivee Guitar Factory Tour" videos, both in 5 parts, also on Youtube. Notice in the Larrivee video the emphasis the tour guide puts on ensuring ALL parts are conditioned to the SAME humidity level before gluing them up. As he stated, that is necessary to prevent the guitar from experiencing expansion / contraction problems later on.

I hope you can try several of the model you want, and take the pick of the litter.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 PM

A follow-up: I played several RK's recently @Elderly. Each one was impressive - and represented quite a good value for the money.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
I just got a RK ROS-647 a week ago, it's a beauty and the sound is sweet when played soft to medium finger style with thumb pick. I'm learning Irish ballads right now and it's providing a bunch of enjoyment. I've enjoyed it so much that I've learned 5 songs already; for me that's inspiration.

Though new the guitar was not set up since I got it off of Ebay as "used", it has never seen an owner; it just had a small blemish along the neck toward the highest fret. The intonation is not perfect. The second string is a little sharp at the 12th. Since I play with a capo and mainly on this guitar tuned DADGAD, the strings have a tendency to slap the frets a bit if strummed harder around the 7th-12th frets. The truss rod was about a 1/2 turn too tight to the right, so I loosened it out since there was no relief in the neck, then snugged it back to the point where I could just feel it tighten. I may have it professionally set up later, but for now I'm enjoying the heck out it.
I had almost exactly this experience with mine. I made a quick truss rod adjustment to add relief and I had zero problems. It plays beautifully, I pick it up all of the time. When I bring it to lessons, my instructor always asks to borrow it for part of the session because he loves the tone. Both of us play fingerstyle and I'm mostly playing celtic and folk. Both of us love that chunky neck though I could see how it would it be uncomfortable for some.

I would point out that depending on the song, I hold this guitar in a classical position about half the time as a normal "steel string" position.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limnephilidae View Post
I had almost exactly this experience with mine. I made a quick truss rod adjustment to add relief and I had zero problems. It plays beautifully, I pick it up all of the time. When I bring it to lessons, my instructor always asks to borrow it for part of the session because he loves the tone. Both of us play fingerstyle and I'm mostly playing celtic and folk. Both of us love that chunky neck though I could see how it would it be uncomfortable for some.

I would point out that depending on the song, I hold this guitar in a classical position about half the time as a normal "steel string" position.
I'm holding the same way, and the sound hole is right there, plenty of volume and such a great feeling neck. I actually love the v profile, seems to fit the v shape between my thumb and index finger. I own 3 Gibson acoustics. Each has it's own use, but none of them fill this sort of gap. I'll get another 000 14th fret later this year. Not sure what brand yet. May go to a store and try out a bunch in the mean time.

It would be cool to see Gibson make a 12 fret with open slot head. Kind of Nick Lucas special with Open head and a 1 13/16 nut.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:54 PM

Well add me to the list. I picked up a used ROS-616 for $300 delivered that has some finish issues, and has had the previously mentioned bridge problems repaired, but other than that it's absolutely fantastic. I'm installing a K&K pure mini in it next week and will really enjoy taking this out to Gigs. In the event a bar fight breaks out, all I have to do is make sure I hold on to the neck and I'll have a huge club to swing.

So impressed that I'm looking closely at the RAJ-122 as a possibility. Anyone have one of these and care to share your thoughts?
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 PM

I have a ROS-06 and it's a fun little guitar for the money and I've heard their more expensive guitars and they sound nice. When I got the ROS-06 there was a little bit of an intonation issue but after a setup everything's been fine.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:21 AM

Love me some zombies.
Love my RO-10 all solid 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion