The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Smile Need recommendations for a guitar! Anyone own a Takamine EG333C?

Hi everyone! I am trying to find an acoustic (not acoustic/electric) guitar for my adult daughter who is in the military. She has played some in the past, but is still considered advanced beginner. I want to get her a nice guitar, but dont have alot to spend, so looking for something very gently used for around $300 or less. I was looking at the Takamine EG333C. It is an acoustic/electric, whcih I didnt want as she does not play electric at all, so why waste the money on electronics, would rather have a little better quality guitar. I used to own a Takamine and loved it. But that was many years ago. Does anyone own this guitar or know anything about it? Any recoomendations on a good dreadnaught guitar for her? She likes alot of projection and a bright sound. Plays mostly country and christian songs. ALso, I would like recommendations on a dvd program that self-teaches guitar. She had an instructor but he was way to technical and advanced for what she is looking to do! Thanks a million!

Last edited by deerhoundmom; 06-29-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: no longer need info
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Welcome to the forum deerhoundmom! From what you say, 'bright' guitar and 'christian' songs ... I'm thinking of Taylor. Unfortunately, even the 100 series used is more than your $300 limit, but it might be close. Great guitar.

I can't comment on your specific guitar; however, I think that in that price range Takamines and Yamahas are great. Just go with something with a solid top.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks so much for the advice! I just sold my Taylor 912C because of some financial issues. Really miss it, but it was way to nice of a guitar for what my daughter needs. I will keep looking!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Look at Yamahas offerings. I've not tried them, but from other reports here they tend to have a fairly bright tone, and are certainly well made. There are quite a few models under $300 or so.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoundmom View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! I just sold my Taylor 912C because of some financial issues. Really miss it, but it was way to nice of a guitar for what my daughter needs. I will keep looking!
Sorry to hear about needing to sell you 912C. That must have been quite a guitar. I'm glad to hear you're shopping for your daughter and I hope you still have a guitar as well.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Unfortunately I dont have a guitar. Will get my daughter taken care of, then ,maybe next year when things get better on the money end, I will start looking for myself! Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 PM

Here's another warm AGF Welcome, deerhoundmom. Glad to have you join us!

Yesterday, I played a Takamine that was pretty similar to the EG333C. It played well, had decent and volume, and was a lot of guitar for the money. Yes, there are other good choices, but I don't think you will go far wrong in getting her this guitar. Coming from you, I know she'll enjoy it even more.

If she has access to the internet, there are tons of free guitar lessons on Youtube, some of which are pretty good. Personally, I prefer having a real teacher, one who can provide feedback and motivation and can adjust the lessons to the needs of the student. If your daughter's teacher is too technical for her needs, I'd suggest that she tell him/her that. A good teacher knows how to teach what the student wants to learn.

Good luck! Hope you'll stick around and enjoy the conversation, even after this guitar has found its new home.

cotten
Old 06-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Hi!
Thanks for the welcome! The only drawback I am seeing with this guitar is that it is an acoustic/electric and I am worried I am spending money on electronics she doesnt want or need. Would rather have a better quality acoustic than an ac/ele! What do you think about either the G360S or the G340S? Any idea what the differences are other than about $200? Thanks for your help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion