The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 08:19 AM

Smile XXX-KE 30th aniversary Ltd Edition

I just got a Taylor XXX-KE 30th anniversary limited edition.
I am used to play Martin guitars but the other day, I passed by the guitar shop at the corner of my street and I saw this beautiful Grand Concert size guitar in the window: Engelmann spruce top and largely flamed Hawaiian koa back and sides. The fretboard is beautifully decorated with mother of pearl inlays as well as the ebony backstrap, the body binding is made of Ivoroid with Abalone-Edged Top and the soundhole rosette with paua.
I could not resist to get in and ask for a try. The sound was so different from the Martin style but at the same time, it was very bright and sparkling, not loud but so profound and distinct tones that I could not prevent myself for asking the price.
I am very pleased with it but as I do not have any experience of Taylor guitars, I was wandering how these instruments take the time.
- How does the finish stand the years and does the Taylor company have the experience of aging their products ?
- Do the value of these limited edition guitars increase with time, or is it just a matter of selling more of them ?
- As I am not used to the sound quality of Taylor guitars, I would like to know whether the very balanced, pure and bright sound of this XXX-KE can be found with many other Taylor models.

Thank you for your answers.

Last edited by emluz; 02-24-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:26 AM

Prices aren't allowed on this forum, so delete your numbers above or they will eventually be deleted by others. Otherwise, congratulations on your new Taylor, a top-of-the-line guitar too. Which country did you buy it in?

You seem extremely focused on the price and whether this instrument will appreciate. It may or may not, it's hard to say. But most people on this forum would tell you to just enjoy the guitar and I'm not going to say anything different.

Taylors are extremely well known of course, arguably as well known as Martins, and the brightness is a characteristic of the Taylor tone.

Richard
Old 02-24-2005, 08:39 AM

Sorry for price quote - I just erased it !
I bought it in Paris.
I must say that the shorter neck length is quite enjoyable as well as the look of it, but the best is definitely the sound.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Guitar Gourmet

1. The UV-cured high-solids polymer finish has been around on Taylors since the beginning of the '90s and appears to hold up very well.
2. The Anniversary models are upscale guitars and generally do well with their price.
3. Taylors are known for their balanced, brightish tone. The tone of the short-scale guitars is slightly different, but you should be able to find other Taylor Grand concerts in that same ballpark. The rest of the line has larger bodies. The larger the body, the deeper and more present the bass.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Re; re-sale price... Taylor's in general do not hold their re-sale value. Most guitars don't. The only "modern" mass produced guitars that I have seen actually appreciate in price have been some of the limited edition Martin's.
Buy the guitar because you like it, not because you think it will appreciate in value.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion