The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Default Carbon 12 string...where's the mold?

Put out feelers for a 12. Emerald has one. No on the forum though. Received a note from Rainsong....no joy. No plans. But had a conversation with CA tech about 30 min. Seems the mold for the 12 string was retained by the bankrupt former composite acoustic and peavey does have one. So...who's got it and the would they give it to someone who would build the guitar?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 PM

I feel your pain. I have a Rainsong WS3000, and am considering an Emerald. But other than Emerald, nobody else is currently making a CF 12, as far as I know. I asked McPherson and they said no plans as well.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:36 PM

There is a Emerald 12 string up for sale on Reverb now.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

I've ordered a beauty (X20-12 Woody) from Sean over at Emerald...Super great folks to work with...can't wait.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

I've been lucky enough to own one of the older CA 12 Strings and it was really nice with the offset soundhole. Neck was pretty skinny for a 12 string though and just a little crowded for me but sounded and played very nice.

Also have owned a couple of Rainsong WS3000 12 strings. These had a nicer neck at least for me but I thought the CA had a richer tone overall.

Currently I own a Emerald X20-12 String and it trumps them all in every department.

Sound is very rich and their necks & fret boards are just spectacular. Playability is the best of all I've owned and they are really onto something wither there over the side sound port. Makes it's really nice for the player as well as the listener.

I would love to see them all offer a 12 string again as they all were really nice but I'm so glad Emerald is there to produce a great one!
Iris OG Model Tuxedo Finish
Iris AB Model Big Leaf Maple B/S
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Default Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I've been lucky enough to own one of the older CA 12 Strings and it was really nice with the offset soundhole. Neck was pretty skinny for a 12 string though and just a little crowded for me but sounded and played very nice.

Also have owned a couple of Rainsong WS3000 12 strings. These had a nicer neck at least for me but I thought the CA had a richer tone overall.

Currently I own a Emerald X20-12 String and it trumps them all in every department.

Sound is very rich and their necks & fret boards are just spectacular. Playability is the best of all I've owned and they are really onto something wither there over the side sound port. Makes it's really nice for the player as well as the listener.

I would love to see them all offer a 12 string again as they all were really nice but I'm so glad Emerald is there to produce a great one!
It is so rare to have an asset like you to provide such insight.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
There is a Emerald 12 string up for sale on Reverb now.
It's an amicus though. They sound like mandolins to me.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

If you ever decide to try for an Emerald unless you really need the bling of an Artisan model I highly recommend their Opus guitars.

I own one of each and while the High Gloss back & sides are nice and upgrade tuners I really like the pebble finish on the Opus models. It sits on the lap nice with no sliding at all. There is no sound difference that I can tell and I feel it's every bit the guitar the Artisan model is.

You can really save yourself some money and have a great guitar too!

Now if you are talking a Woody top or color finish the Artisan is the only way to go.
Iris OG Model Tuxedo Finish
Iris AB Model Big Leaf Maple B/S
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber