The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 PM

Just found out you have to have Sharks? don't like the Shark thing much and a Abalone rosette on the concert model so I need to revisit this, may need to go to the regular shorty.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:53 PM

APLE doesn't have the sharks FYI
Old 09-13-2016, 03:01 PM

Oop sorry didn't see the Barn door thing yea
Old 09-13-2016, 03:30 PM

If your okay getting the actual Shorty, in black, whether satin or gloss, you can order without electronics.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am going to go revisit the RS site and think about all this, 15" lower max for me and I need a short scale and 12 fret joint.
Well then, that is the exact definition of the Shorty.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Just found out you have to have Sharks? don't like the Shark thing much and a Abalone rosette on the concert model so I need to revisit this, may need to go to the regular shorty.
How can anyone not love the sharks? I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Well then, that is the exact definition of the Shorty.
Yes, but you can get an OM body size and 12-fret, short-scale neck on any of the types of guitars they sell (except the Parlor). Not sure if the tobacco burst finish is available on all of them, though. Dave at RainSong should be able to tell you whatever you want to know.

Last edited by NoodleFingers; 09-14-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added second part
Old 09-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
How can anyone not love the sharks? I don't get it.
i don't like the Sharks either and wouldn't buy a RS with them.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I love the sharks....but they wouldn't put them on my H-WS1000N2 12 Fret. It's nice to have options.....
Old 09-14-2016, 05:39 PM

It's enough at a Bluegrass jam to explain the CF thing, Sharks and sparkle would only make it worse! I have only seen one CF guitar in all the festivals and jams I got to a blue cargo, but the volume was so low I could barely hear it standing very close.
I may need to rethink the electronic thing, the only guitar they make now that has everything else I like in one package is the new APSE, with the exception of the grotesque trapdoor thingamajig,,,,but i contacted RS and they won't build one without it, bummer. The other thing is it's very high priced compared to the regular shorty. I love the new matt finish and sunburst though. And NO Sharks!
Old 09-14-2016, 06:42 PM

I ordered my Shorty through MacNichol G&M just before they sadly closed shop. I still have the email trail back and forth asking what custom options were available to me. I wanted the Shorty LTFE just like Captain Jim's but without the sharks and no elecronics. I do like the blingey rosette, how can you not like the classic blingey Rainsong rosette?

Boy, we sure are a finicky bunch
Old 09-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Personally, I find it really unfortunate that RainSong is so inflexible. I'd be willing to get serious about them, but there doesn't seem to be a model that really satisfies what I want in a guitar. This is one reason I admire Emerald so much.....beyond their innovative line-up of instruments and quality and range of finishes, their processes allow them to cater to the customer's wants and needs. Impressive!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

It was the sharks that made my wife say: "You HAVE to get that one!"

Now, if they would make one with Killer Whales...
Old 09-16-2016, 11:11 AM

Has anyone had a opportunity to play the APSE yet???? I have listened to Rainsongs video of Al playing it a dozen times now and unless my ears fail me that guitar sounds like wood! Anyone been by LA sales and tried it???
Oregon where I live for some unknown reason is the one state in the nation that does not have one single place to try one.
I know Ted has one in stock but shipping involved if I don't like it.
Really thinking they may have finally made a CF just for me, will need to get the electronics but it's less obtrusive on this model, smaller and maybe I need to move into the modern age. Guess it would be handy in some instances, I have a Marshall Acoustic amp already.
The closest place I can find to me is Vancouver Wa, so it would be a 8 hr. round trip, thinking about it maybe gas would be more than shipping ...
Man I wish someone would open a music store in Or. that was open minded and current on things, all I get is a deer in the headlight look when I ask about carbon guitars. Even the Eugene GC didn't know about them...sad.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It was the sharks that made my wife say: "You HAVE to get that one!"

Now, if they would make one with Killer Whales...
For a Captain of a ship I can certainly see the attraction. Speaking of Killer Whales we had a pod visit us here in Florence in downtown by the wharfs. Came up the river from the bar, about a mile, looking for those yummy seals that hang out in town......
Some came into Newport harbor two years ago and had a Sea Lion feast, Freaked out the tourists, watching them on the docks, the whole harbor turned red. They don't call them killers for nothing!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
The closest place I can find to me is Vancouver Wa, so it would be a 8 hr. round trip, thinking about it maybe gas would be more than shipping ...
I ran into the same thing trying to buy a CA GX--not a one to be found in the state of Colorado. I decided that I couldn't drop $3K without trying it first. As much as I'd hate being out, say, $100 in shipping if I didn't like it, it would be worse to be out $3000 if I didn't like it! And if I did keep it, it would only add like 2% to the price of the guitar--less than sales tax, or a new strap and a few sets of strings.

So I found an online dealer with an unconditional 30-day return policy. I got to live (carefully!) with the guitar for a few weeks to make a decision. Worth it to keep from making a several thousand dollar mistake, IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber