The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Favorite fingerstyle performance-older vs younger generation

After posting the recent question regarding favorite fingerstyle performances, I was struck by the overwhelming majority of responses that favored the older generation of players. I am curious as to why this is so.

Does it mean that this forum is inhabited by a bunch of old timers resistant to change and dreaming about the good old days, or, has this hugely successful younger generation not had time to sufficiently develop a mature and individual voice?

Interested in your thoughts...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM

My feeling is that fingerstyle players peak in their mid-50s to early 60s and stay at their peak until they can no longer play. Some of Chet Akins and Segovia's best performances were in their 60s. Tommy Emmanuel is just getting better and better.

Learning guitar is a lifetime journey and the older guys have made it a bit farther down the road, IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion