The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Judy Threet Guitars

Has anyone had experience with her guitars? How would you describe both build and tone?

They look beautiful on her website. http://www.threetguitars.com/home.html
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM

I have played several Judy Threet guitars, and also spoke at length with her on one occasion at Healdsburg. The build quality and tone of her instruments is superb. She also does very striking and attractive inlay work, as well, and all in all it's top drawer work.

So I can really recommend her guitars, based on the five or six that I played. Just a very talented and very pleasant individual all the way around.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Wade - do you know if she truly only offers "highly bearclawed" sitka and adi spruce as her website suggests (under pricing => wood options)?

I like the A & B (parlors), and the C (small concert) models that were listed under 'sizes'. Nice! I wish she had a 'models' section though. Maybe she did but pulled that section for the time being since she's not taking orders at this time...
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Crikey, I can't claim to be anything like an expert on Judy Threet guitars. I played all that she had on display at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival the one time I met her, I played another one on another occasion, and that's been it. All I can vouch for is that she does superb work, seems to be a genuinely creative and deeply talented individual, and is quite pleasant and fun to talk to.

One of my grey-haired old father's folksy sayings is that: "There are two kinds of people - those who laugh heartily and those who do not."

Judy is one of those people that can laugh heartily. Not only would my father like her, he'd like her a lot.

But neither he nor I can answer your question about what sort of tops she puts on her guitars.

whm
Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 AM

-Just checked out Judy's website and was very impressed.
Looks like she builds some very fine instruments.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 AM

I've never heard of Judy. I just checked out her website. Based on her area code, she's in Alberta?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

If anyone comes across sound clips, please post them.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Tracy Chapman plays one of Judy's guitars. I've seen live clips of it on You Tube in the past.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Found a sound clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UuQWKZU5Zs
Old 06-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never heard of Judy. I just checked out her website. Based on her area code, she's in Alberta?
I think so. I know it's one of the Prairie Provinces.

whm
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Judy's one of my oldest and dearest friends (over 30 years). She has actually agreed to make me a guitar - well, it was really my wife that convinced her. :-)
I've always wanted a Judy guitar, but after she shut down her wait list in order to catch up, I put it out of my mind. After all, I already own over 2 dozen vintage Martins, Gibsons and New York Epis. Not to mention the 100 or so high-end instruments in my shop.

Her work is flawless. The guitars play perfectly and the sound is big and rich with a "silkiness" and a 'bloom' that you only find in the very best instruments. Her smaller instruments are my personal favorite, though an E-model she made for another friend of mine is a real monster.

Nope. Judy is one of the best.
She is very very clever (a PhD in Philosophy from Stanford). I expect this does affect the way she approaches complex problems.

She will make a truly custom guitar, as long as it meets her criteria. You can pick your woods, your inlays, etc etc. If you have never 'birthed' a guitar, it is huge fun. I had Grit Laskin make me a custom guitar in 1980 and it is still one of my favorite instruments. The process was very rewarding and makes playing the guitar a more personal experience, even to this day.
Have fun. I hope you pursue this.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm impressed by the comments here.

How do you pronounce her name? Is the 'h' pronounced like 'Three' or is the 'h' silent? I'm guessing it's phonetically "three - t". I've never heard that last name before.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure it's as you assumed: "Three-t"

Robin of Guitar Gallery speaks *very* highly of her work. Top shelf quality, no doubt.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm impressed by the comments here.

How do you pronounce her name? Is the 'h' pronounced like 'Three' or is the 'h' silent? I'm guessing it's phonetically "three - t". I've never heard that last name before.
As "threet," not "treat."

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion