The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Center surprise - Stonebridge 00M 34-SR

Had a $25 GC gift card, so I went there Saturday morning to see what I could spent it on. It was early and there weren't many people there yet, so I went into the acoustic room to see what they had to play.

The high-end room was mostly occupied by standard Taylor models, 3 standard Gibson's, and 3-4 production model Martin's. I took a sampling of various guitars off the wall and noodled around a bit...nice guitars, but nothing I hadn't heard before. Then I noticed a 00-sized 12-fretter on the wall. It turned out to be a used (2012) Stonebridge #00M 34-SR, with a beautiful spruce top that either had an aged toner on it, or was torrified. I gave it a good looking over and was really impressed by the craftsmanship and understated beauty of the guitar. Then I started playing it...

First thing I noticed was how great the set-up and playability were. Super comfortable, nice low action, great feeling satin-finish neck...just a joy to play. Next, I just couldn't believe the amount of sound coming out of this 00...amazing really. Very present bass, but not dominant, nice mids and beautiful chimy trebles...impressive, really impressive. I played it for a while, hung it up, went back, played it some more, hung it back up, and repeated that one more time before leaving the store.

As far as I can recall, this was my first time playing a Stonebridge/Furch, and I can't express how positive the experience was and how impressed I was--at least with this guitar. So much so, that I wouldn't hesitate to say that to the best of my recollection, it may have been the best sounding small-bodied rosewood 12-fretter I've ever played--and I've played more than a few. If I was looking to add a guitar to my stable (and if the string-spacing at the saddle was a bit wider), there is no doubt that I would have brought this little gem home with me. It made my trip to GC worthwhile, and started my Saturday off with a smile!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-27-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

That was a nice surprise! I've never had one in hand- would love to though- they do look nice and I've read nothing but good things here.

All the best
madhat.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:00 AM

Had a Furch OOM I sold two years back.
It was my first small body acoustic and I didn't realise how lucky I was. I have since discovered that not all small guitars sound that good...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 AM

At the GCs near us, that would qualify as

an extremely rare find .

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 02-28-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Occasionally you find some random solo luthier built guitar or rare small shop brand at GC. I've ran into Petros, Goodall, SCGC, Northwood and McPherson at my local GC. They have also had a few of the rare high end PRS acoustics like the Angelus and Tonare Grand in stock new which is also a rarity. Its always kind of fun and usually those guitars are the best sounding instruments at Guitar Center.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:07 PM

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience! I bought a Furch OOM34 SR just a couple of weeks ago and I'm still amazed by it. If you want, you can check out my NGD-thread on it.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=458990
Taylor 314ce (2012)
Fender American Series Stratocaster (2000)
Boss RC500 Loop Station
Old 02-28-2017, 03:09 PM

That is a super model from Furch, I own the OM32 model in mahogany, and it ranks in the top 3 in my stable. Now you just have to visit Prague and play the other 30 models available at the dealer around the corner from my house.

They are some of the best guitars made in the world simply.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 02-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Now you just have to visit Prague and play the other 30 models available at the dealer around the corner from my house.

They are some of the best guitars made in the world simply.
That's on my bucket list! I'm of Czech decent, so it made it a little extra cool that these guitars are made in Czechia. BUT, it looks like all their bridge string spacing is 55MM (2.165"), which is too narrow for me. I need 57MM minimum...58MM would be even better.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Stonebridge / Furch are really staring to make there way into the main stream American market. But they still have a long way to go before they are as popular as the American made iconic makers. (Martin, Taylor, Gibson). For this reason you can get a used model for a great price, sometimes up to 50-60 % on the buck.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM

I know when I was looking for a new guitar, I found Furch on Youtube and it blew me away. I got together with Todd Allison the US Rep for them, and playing them exceeded my expectations! So I ended up ordering a custom G23 L-EB- CE. Only downside is I have to wait till June! Glad you found this phenomenal and underrated brand!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion