The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Martin D-15M Vs D-17M

Well I have had the pleasure of comparing my D-15M to my new D-17M in the comfort of my home. Yes I own both models and will not be letting any of them go. I truly love them both; Martin has hit a home run on both series. Before my review, I want to share that I can truly hear the difference in voicing of these two models and feel that with both models I have found the sound I am looking for. I truly feel I have a very nice little arsenal of sound and style.

Wood:

D-15M:
Solid Mahogany Top, Back & Sides

D-17M:
Top Solid Sitka Spruce Top, Mahogany Back & Sides

Sound:

D-15M:
Warm, not very loud but will hold its own in a jam or on stage performance. Has good bass but not as much as other Martin models, very nice warm mid-range tones. The guitar can be a little bright at times. You can hear that Martin Growl in this guitar but again, not as much as other Martin Models. The overall sound of the guitar is warm and sounds great when flat picked (clean & crisp) and sounds warm & terrific, when strummed. The D-15M to me is a very wonderful warm sounding guitar that had me falling in love with it from the start.

D-17M:
Warm and can be a sound cannon. Very good Bass that sounds great on Bass runs, Has that True Martin Growl. Warm Mid tones and I have not noticed this series being a little bright at times like my D-15M. This guitar when flat picked and strummed just begs you to play it more. The sound is full, clean crisp and warm. I am truly impressed with the D-17M series and like my D-15M have fallen in love with it from the start.

Smell:

Both The D-15M & D-17M smell amazing and both have that pleasantly wonderful earthy wood smell every time you open the case.

Playability:

D-15M:
The D-15M has low action and is very easy to play. The neck is a modified low oval that I find to be very comfortable for me. The neck is smooth and extremely easy to move around on without any issues. The nit width on this guitar is 1 11/16. This guitar out of the box is set-up for the most part to just take off and play. This is one guitar that you just pick up and start playing and never think about anything else than the sound that comes out of it that makes you go wow.

D17M:
When I played this guitar yesterday and just a little bit this afternoon, I felt the same way as I did on the D-15M. The action is and feels the same and no thought goes through your mind while playing other than a really sweet sound that you fall in love with from the start coupled with that Martin Sound and Growl.
Appearance:

D-15M:
Plain Jane looks with not a whole lot of bling. No binding and no fancy inlays on the neck. The inlays are just a few simple squares and a Diamond. The Pickguard in that Delmar Tortoise compliments the Body and a simple ring Rosette around the sound whole gives it just a touch of class. The head stock has that Martin & Co logo. The guitar top back and sides has a wonder satin finish. Martin describes this guitar as simplistic and elegant. I agree with this statement 100%. The Butter Bean knobs on the open tuners that really gives the look of a throwback in time. I have come to find that you love the looks of this guitar from the start or it start to grow on you over time.

D-17M:
The D-17M has the looks of just a little fancier guitar. The Sitka Spruce top is finished in what Martin calls a Shaded gloss top that truly is beautiful. The Solid Mahogany back and sides are satin finished. The Delmar Tortoise Pickguard compliments the color of the guitar. What gives the guitar that old school look I feel is the Tortoise binding. This guitar like the D-15M has inlays that are just a few simple squares and a Diamond. A simple ring Rosette is around the sound whole and gives it a true touch of class. Again like the D-15M it has the Butter Bean knobs on the open tuners that really gives the look of a throwback in time. I find this guitar to be simply beautiful soon as you open the case.

SPECS On Both Guitars:

D-15M:
Specification Detail
Number of Strings 6
Body Style/Shape Dreadnought, 14-fret
Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
Color Natural
Finish Satin
Top Wood Solid Genuine Mahogany
Back & Sides Wood Solid Genuine Mahogany
Body Bracing A-Frame X Scalloped, 5/16" Solid Sitka Spruce
Neck Wood Solid Genuine Mahogany
Fingerboard Material Solid East Indian Rosewood
Fingerboard Inlay Diamonds & Squares - Short Pattern
Binding No Binding
Neck Shape Modified Low Oval
Number of Frets 20 (total), 14 (clear)
Scale Length 25.4"
Tuning Machines Nickel Open-Geared with Butterbean Knobs
Bridge Material Solid East Indian Rosewood
Nut/Saddle Material Bone/16" Radius Compensated White Bone
Nut Width 1-11/16"
Body Length 20"
Body Width 15-5/8"
Body Depth 4-7/8"
Overall Length 40-1/2"
Electronics No Electronics Onboard
Case Included Hardshell
Manufacturer Part Number D15M

D-17M:
Specification Detail
Number of Strings 6
Body Style/Shape Dreadnought
Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
Color Shaded Gloss
Finish Gloss top; satin neck, back, and sides
Top Wood Spruce
Back & Sides Wood Mahogany
Body Bracing A-Frame
Neck Wood Hardwood
Fingerboard Material Morado
Fingerboard Inlay Diamonds & Squares - Short Pattern
Binding Tortoise-colored Binding
Neck Shape Modified Low Oval
Number of Frets 20
Scale Length 25.4"
Tuning Machines Nickel open-geared tuners with Butterbean Knobs
Bridge Material Morado
Nut/Saddle Material Bone
Nut Width 1..6875"
Electronics No Electronics
Case Included Hardshell Case Included
Manufacturer Part Number D-17M
Old 12-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I have the D15m. I have played the D17M. It is just phenomenal in my opinion. I think those two guitars, and the M21 Steve Earle, are the three best guitars in Martin's lineup. Of course... To my ears.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I've owned the 15 and 17 Series Martin's (neither of which were dreads) and thought they were both great guitars. Currently I'm amazed by their 16 Series dreads. The D-16 Adirondack and the HD-16R Adirondack. Both a lot of guitar for the $. Congrats on your new Christmas D-17...enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 PM

The D17M is an awesome guitar and I can't wait to pick mine up next year. I have yet to play one but judging by all the reviews and the videos I've seen of people playing it it looks and sounds amazing.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Love the 15's and the 17's all day long.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:20 AM

Used to have a D17M. My only guitar I regret selling.....
Old 02-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Default Martin D-15M Vs D-17M

I have a D17m and it is perfect on every level. I am so impressed with Martin, so I ordered a D15m burst. Can't help myself
Old 02-15-2014, 12:45 PM

Thanks for taking the time for that review GuitarDogs
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM

I haven't played a D17M but I have seen videos on youtube of one. It has given me GAS even though I haven't tried one. I hope to try one out someday. BTW Good review of the 2 models.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel View Post
I have a D17m and it is perfect on every level. I am so impressed with Martin, so I ordered a D15m burst. Can't help myself

I have the D15M still. Amazing guitar... If they made it in that subtle burst when I bought mine a few years ago, I'd have ordered it for sure!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I have the D15M still. Amazing guitar... If they made it in that subtle burst when I bought mine a few years ago, I'd have ordered it for sure!
I own a Taylor 710CE, a beautifully built and more expensive compared to the D17m. The 710 has a spruce top with rosewood back and sides, but seriously for me the D17 blows it out of the water. I really have to fight to get sound out of the Taylor. The Martin just sings in comparison. I was expecting more from the Taylor. I think I will sell the Taylor for another Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion