The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Uncoated strings : Martin SP vs Daddario Phosphor Bronze

Recently I've been trying these strings..
Wondering which one to commit to (buy in bulk)..
what are your opinions regarding the tone and longevity of these strings?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:48 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Recently I've been trying these strings..
Wondering which one to commit to (buy in bulk)..
what are your opinions regarding the tone and longevity of these strings?
You said you've been trying them. I think only you can make the decision based on your own playing style + body chemistry + environmental factors.

But if you want a vote, I've always been a D'Addario fan
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 AM

Yeah.. just wanted to know the opinions of the guys here..
D'addario is definitely cheaper for me..
Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 AM

I've used D'addarios for years. Yesterday I broke 2 "g" strings trying to change strings on my main gigging guitar. It was my last 2 sets so it's time for me to buy more. I never break strings, but these broke before I even got them to pitch. I got several sets of "Red" strings from my local dealer a while back. I haven't tried them, but I ended up putting a set of them on for the gig. I liked them. We'll see how long they last. I'm not ready to give up on D'adds, I'm just curious is anyone has had breakage problems.

It's not the guitar that caused them to break. It's probably just a couple bad strings.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Yeah.. just wanted to know the opinions of the guys here..
D'addario is definitely cheaper for me..
Hi lppier...
I've used about every string ''out there'' at one time or another, and decided years ago that there is not enough difference in any of the non-coated strings to make a noticeable difference on any of my guitars.

So I use bulk strings from Martin, D'Addario, WebStrings etc. interchangeably. I do think the D'Addario have a tiny bit less tension in the top two strings (1 & 2) than the Martin SP...or perhaps it is the Martin SP top strings which have more tension than practically all others don't have.

SP top strings are stiffer and harder to bend full-step bends on (that's where I notice it). And it's specific to the SP version - the straight non-coated Martin bulk strings or Marquis don't have stiffer 1 & 2.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 AM

"I'm just curious is anyone has had breakage problems."

Woody, I have not experienced any out of the ordinary breakage problems with D'Ads, either light or med gauge, and they are my strings of choice. I used to be a strictly John Pearse string guy but I was experiencing way too many premature string break issues with those strings a few years ago and found others were having the same problem as well. Don't know what happened at JP but their quality control wasn't what it used to be and I have never gone back to them. D'Ads for me are a great all purpose string, and I like those little color coded balls on the end too.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Yeah ljguitar,

I do notice that the Daddarios have less tension on the top strings...
Maybe you're right, the strings don't make that much of a difference... I'm just kind of being anal here..
Daddarios are the strings I used when I just started playing.. it's funny after all these years I still like them a lot... although I do change them much more often now ~once every 2 weeks My ears have gotten more and more spoiled as my spending power increased..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi lppier...
SP top strings are stiffer and harder to bend full-step bends on (that's where I notice it). And it's specific to the SP version - the straight non-coated Martin bulk strings or Marquis don't have stiffer 1 & 2.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:09 PM

With MY experience and opinion I am gonna go with the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze over the Martin Phosphor Bronze.

The D'Addarios are cheaper and seem to last a bit longer than the Martins for me and my style. Tone wise I would have to say there is little, if any, difference.

What I like to do is the E and A strings, after they are wound around the tuning peg, I capo it off at the first fret and un-pin them at the bridge and give them 2 clockwise turns and pin them back. It help the base sound "sharper" and have more presence.

When I do that to Martins I feel like there is more tension than D'Addario's.

Guitars(in the order the were purchased):
-2008 Alvarez PJ85SCDVS(installed with a Pezio UST and a mini condenser mic. Duel systems are awesome!)
-2000 Washburn OE-30: Orange
-1977 Yamaha G-65-1: Natural
-1967 Stella H-912: Maroon Sunburst
-2002 Stagg C510: Natural
-1996 Epiphone DR-100: Sunburst

My YouTube Videos

My MySpace
Old 07-05-2009, 12:25 PM

I use plain D'addario pbs EJ15s on my 6 string guitars, and D'Adarrio EXPs on my 12. Only string breakage problems I've had were on the octive G on my 12 before I went to the EXPs. I switched from Martins abgout 10 years ago.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Can you explain Martin having "more tension"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi lppier...
I've used about every string ''out there'' at one time or another, and decided years ago that there is not enough difference in any of the non-coated strings to make a noticeable difference on any of my guitars.

So I use bulk strings from Martin, D'Addario, WebStrings etc. interchangeably. I do think the D'Addario have a tiny bit less tension in the top two strings (1 & 2) than the Martin SP...or perhaps it is the Martin SP top strings which have more tension than practically all others don't have.

I read with interest concerning your comment that Martin SP's top two strings having more tension than D. Can you explain what you mean by more tension? I heard somebody mentioned in passing a week ago as well but enver quite understood it. Thanks!

Mcilroy A25
Yamaha LL-16 12 Strings
Yamala LL-TA
Headway HD113 STD
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT (classical)
Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Like everyone has said, it's going to ultimately come down to your guitar and your ears.

That said, I'll give you my opinion/experience anyway.

I prefer Martin SP. Then again, I have mostly Martins. And I do think a lot of folks agree that the Martin guitars and Martin strings are a good match most of the time.

What I didn't like about D'Addario is they had a week long break in period for me where the highs were too shrill and bright. After that first week, they hit a real sweet spot, where they sounded amazing for about a week. Then they started to lose that awesomeness and just went to being OK.

With Martin SP, the break in period is minimal if any. What I hear as soon as I put them on is what I get for pretty much the entire life of the strings. And they sound amazing. And again, I have to stress they sound amazing on MY guitars. They might not do the same on yours. But more about the SP strings. I have had my current set of SP PBs on my D-16GT for almost 2 months, and they really haven't lost any of that perfect sound. I don't play an insane amount, but do I play at least a little bit everyday.

If you like them both equally and can't decide, get what's cheaper. I do think longevity depends on your body chemistry as much as anything. My body chemistry has always been very easy on strings so they last quite a long time for me. Before you commit to a large bulk order of each, why not just try one of each and keep them on until you notice them dying? See which last longer for you.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Changed D'Addarios for Martin SP PB's on my guitar today and while slight, I prefer the Martin. Sound seems fuller and "more complete". Trebles were much improved, mid-range became more inline with the bass and treble, and the bass more complex. No squeak when sliding with the Martins either and that's a big deal for me.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM

I agree with the above in that, at least on Martins, the Martin strings sound better. Never really cared for the D'Addario strings. DR Sunbeams, as mentioned above, are probably my favorite. Similar to Martin SPs in terms of sound, but much longer longevity. However, Martin SPs still sound better when they are brand new, but that sound dies down after a couple of days and the Sunbeams sound better for a longer duration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion