The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 AM

Default NEED QUICK HELP HIP SHOT TUNERS

I have had a Composite Acoustic GX on order for a while now. Called the factory, very nice people to talk with. Anyway , they tell me the hold up is getting the Gotoh 18:1 510 tuners. They have in stock Hip Shot 16:1 tuners and could sub these right away.
Can anyone tell me if these are ok? I have never had these tuners before. Should I wait for the Gotoh? If I don't like the Hip Shot tuners , can I switch them out for Gotoh later? is the hole spacing the same?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:59 AM

Do know about hip shots. But alistar at emerald uses only gotoh so they gotta be good.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I have had a Composite Acoustic GX on order for a while now. Called the factory, very nice people to talk with. Anyway , they tell me the hold up is getting the Gotoh 18:1 510 tuners. They have in stock Hip Shot 16:1 tuners and could sub these right away.
Can anyone tell me if these are ok? I have never had these tuners before. Should I wait for the Gotoh? If I don't like the Hip Shot tuners , can I switch them out for Gotoh later? is the hole spacing the same?
I cannot speak to the quality comparison between brands,
but it seems to me that the hole spacing would be measured "on center" to the nut, and that it wouldn't change based on the tuner brand. I think the only impact relates to the diameter of the hole required to accept the particular brand of tuner.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Apart from shaft diameter (which is probably fine if they use either tuner) the other consideration is the anchoring screw location. That small screw prevents the tuner from turning around the post. Some are at 6 o'clock, some are at 4 o'clock, and some tuning machines just have pins underneath to prevent rotation, with the appropriate hole in the back of the peg head. This should also be a question that CA can easily answer.

You'll have to look at both tuning machines on line to see what the underside looks like. Assuming they will work OK, I would ask CA to ship your guitar now with the Hipshot, and trade later for a set of Gotoh's when they come in. As for quality, I have replaced tuners with Gotoh tuners in the past and I'm quite happy.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:44 PM

I use Gotohs and Hipshot tuners in quite a few of my guitars and they've both performed well for me. I'd not hesitate to use either one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber