The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 AM

I have been playing fsince I was 16 and still learning everyday. I have used lights on most of my guitars. I did buy a Taylor drea 910 . It came with med Elixer. I had a set up done with lights and played Elixer PB's for about 8 months, then did the Cleartone challenge. Didn't like them and tried some light Martin SP which are a little bigger than Elixer lights and loved them but didn't last like the Elixers. I then went to the Elixer med.'s PB and could not be happier. I had the bridge lowered a lil more and WOW!!!!! I never played my 910 with med. strings. Now I have med strings it seems easier to play and the sound difference blew me away. I have been missing out for a while on what my 910 would really sound like, always thought about going to the med. strings but was worried about the stress. I talked to Taylor and they said we recommend med strings on a dreadthe guitar could handle it and man was I missing out. Its like a NGD. The sound is with out a dought a big difference. My 910 is even more amazing sounding than ever before. I use med strings on my GS Mini also, tried the lights on it for about a week, installed the mediums back on it and for both guitars I will stay with the mediums. I don't think the med strings are harder to play.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_Tom View Post
Hello AGF Community,

I have been playing guitar for just under a year

Thanks
If you have been playing under a year, I suggest using lights. You will progress faster because it will be easier to fret.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM

For a relatively new player who is mostly concerned with learning the instrument and not performing I think the lower string tension and easier playability of light gauge strings trumps any possible tonal advantage that mediums might provide. Afterall if you have more difficulty with fingerings and stamina during practices because of higher string tension, how good will the tone of the instrument be then?

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM

My opinion is pretty much in agreement with what most others have offered...

Medium gauge strings tend to have a bigger sound - they are a bit louder, but...
  • they are harder to play (especially if you are new to the guitar), and
  • they put a lot of stress/tension on the guitar
I played medium gauge strings on my Guild for a long time. Then I noticed that the top was getting a beer belly just below the bridge. I was able to correct it with humidification, weight, and time, but if this can happen to a 1980 Guild, which is built like a brick shxt house, then it can happen to any guitar.

I use light gauge strings on all of my guitars except the GS Mini, which is spec'd for them. The light gauge strings sound just as good, are easier on the fingers, bend easier, and put less stress on the guitar. I use D'Addario EJ16's or EXP16's, 17's, or 26's, depending on the guitar.

You won't know for yourself until you try some and see which suit you better.

Jim
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
My opinion is pretty much in agreement with what most others have offered...

Medium gauge strings tend to have a bigger sound - they are a bit louder, but...
  • they are harder to play (especially if you are new to the guitar), and
  • they put a lot of stress/tension on the guitar
I played medium gauge strings on my Guild for a long time. Then I noticed that the top was getting a beer belly just below the bridge. I was able to correct it with humidification, weight, and time, but if this can happen to a 1980 Guild, which is built like a brick shxt house, then it can happen to any guitar.

I use light gauge strings on all of my guitars except the GS Mini, which is spec'd for them. The light gauge strings sound just as good, are easier on the fingers, bend easier, and put less stress on the guitar. I use D'Addario EJ16's or EXP16's, 17's, or 26's, depending on the guitar.

You won't know for yourself until you try some and see which suit you better.

Jim
WAY overstated. Mediums sound fuller and deeper. They give a BIT more tension and a bit stiffer to fret, but a good setup is the solution.

Problem with the Guilds sounds much more likely due to poor humidification maintenance which the poster implied
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Not to highjack the thread, but it is a semi-related question: How would a 12-fret hold up with bluegrass strings? I have been using Martin SP lights forever, but I am wondering what tone I could get out of my new guitar (and even my D-35) if I switched to half and half...

Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Use the strings that make it easier to play. Who gives a rat's rump about tone? You're learning to play so use the most comfortable gauge. Tone is something to worry about later. Mediums make you louder. Period. That's why most players use them. I, on the other hand, am amplified and it really doesn't make much difference what gauge I use. I can EQ about any sound I want. IF you can practice longer with light gauge strings use 'em. One other thing. The pick you use makes as much difference as the strings. email Gravity picks and he'll send you some free ones. Try heavier picks. V Picks stick to your hands like glue and they make it sound amazing. Just a thought. Everyone has their opinion.

1979 Martin D-35, 1978 Yamaha G230 classical, Yamaha A3R VS, Yamaha AC3R VS, Yamaha LS16 ARE sunburst, Yamaha NCX1200R Classical, Wechter TO-8418, Wechter DN 8128, Takamine EG334C.][/COLOR]
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaren View Post
Ive found that sometimes light strings can be bigger sounding..louder with more bass even..on SOME guitars. I think it can have a lot to do with individual guitar tops and how much tension loads them best.
I concur. I have a Martin HD-28 that sounds more focused and less bottom heavy with lights. To the OP: you sometimes have to try a lot of strings from different manufacturers to find what works for your guitar. D'Addario PB lights are my favs now.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Definitely there is a difference IMO

I prefer meds when I'm strumming and I prefer lights when I co-operate lead work in my play or when I fingerpick. Med is fuller/louder sounding.

But I find meds to be too much for my fingers when I play lead especially when I do bends etc, etc. But that is my choice.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Default tone versus playability

Question: Who gives a rat's rump about tone?
Answer: I do.

I am a beginner and while my hands do not really know how to make a guitar sound good ... my ears sure know when a guitar sounds good.
I've ditched a good number of strings because they just didn't sound good on the guitars I own. They might have had decent playability and while my hands may endured longer practices my ears certainly didn't.
That said, I did have troubles with my first guitar finding the sweet spot between tone and playability. I was able to find a set of strings that sounded great but it really did wear out my hands too early. Due to the nature of the guitar's construction it wasn't possible to lower the action any more.
This gave me the "excuse" to get a new guitar that could be professionally setup and allow me to have my tone and play it too.

I do wish that I was able to find that sweet spot with my first guitar. My search for strings is still on and hopefully I'll find it.
1964 Suzuki #7
Parkwood PW-410 (Sitka Spruce/Australian Blackwood)

Last edited by darrinc; 01-16-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: more came to my brain
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinc View Post
Question: Who gives a rat's rump about tone?
Answer: I do.
If you really care about tone, you would also be experimenting with different compositions as well as different weights.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Default trials

I've tried a few flavours of silk and steel, various manufacturers, gauges and compositions. I've also a small bag of various picks to try out when I try new strings. For me a pick can work well with a given string set but can lose its appeal when used on a different set of strings.

Last night I received a bundle of strings in the mail and tonight I get to try some new configurations. I've been pretty happy with the John Pearse 12s on my dred but tonight I'm going to try out the JP bluegrass.

On the other guitar I've tried 10s and 12s and a few silk/steels. The three silk/steel sets that I have tried just didn't sound right. Nice playability but that's all. The 10s didn't drive the guitar enough. 12s sounded great but led to faster fatigue. Maybe when my hands strengthen I'll be ok with the 12s. Tonight I'm going to split the difference and toss on a set of JP 11s (slightly light).

It certainly has been fun experimenting to see how much tonal variability one guitar can produce with nothing more than string and pick choices. Leading me to think that a good guitar can be mediocre with the wrong strings and a mediocre guitar can be good with the right strings.

I just wish I had the playing skills to make a mediocre guitar sound great regardless of strings, picks or what not. Hats off to the folks who can do that.
1964 Suzuki #7
Parkwood PW-410 (Sitka Spruce/Australian Blackwood)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_Tom View Post
Do they really sound that different?
Is one that much easier to play than they other?
Like most new players I am having trouble barring chords so will it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks
Yes. Yes. And yes.

Give them a try, but even if you like the sound better, and on a Dread there is a good chance that they will, you might go back to lights until you build up your dexterity and hand strength.

Why make learning harder than it already is?

TW
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Default light/mediums

I put mediums on my Takamine dread and I absolutely loved the way it
growled and how full and authoritative the sound was, plugged in or acoustic. I like to really dig in with some serious strumming on some song styles and the med's worked so well............
But after a few weeks I realized that my wrist was getting a little sore and like another poster I couldn't risk having an issue with it so I went back to lights.
Just not the same. Yes playing inside barre chords cleanly is alot easier but after the mediums they feel a little spongy and have less volume. I am taking another poster's suggestion for light/med's and I think the compromise with the .0125's/.055 will be perfect. thanks again for the fine tips, love this place !
Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM

If you're playing plugged in it doesn't really matter. The pickup, amp and EQ can easily make up for any tonal loss. If you're still struggling with bar chords stay with light strings until your hands get up to speed. Since you're probably not playing to an audience yet why torture yourself. Right now being able to play what you're learning is more important. Then move to mediums when you're ready.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion