The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-26-2024, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Youtube question about guitar/vocal

This concerns acoustic guitar and vocal 'working' well on a podcast or youtube video. For this type of thing, I am not even aware of the host doing a live podcast, I am just familiar with 'distribution' through youtube playback... people watching the recorded video. So, I am not concerned so much about a live aspect as I am the finished recording for playback; don't know if there is a difference regarding any issues but if you know anything on that, advise.

So, this would be a recording where a narrator does his spoken word thing or interviews someone and I am a guest to sing an appropriate song to the message. Is there any type of setup one must have for a song to 'work' for (mostly) playback or is this problematic? Use one mic or separate... use guitar's onboard pickup (yuck) or an external mic?

You see this type of thing quite often where an artist is interviewed and then the host says, "hey, play a song!" (Original song.) So, obviously, it can be done well if you have the right setup. What's the right setup?
Old 01-26-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
This concerns acoustic guitar and vocal 'working' well on a podcast or youtube video. For this type of thing, I am not even aware of the host doing a live podcast, I am just familiar with 'distribution' through youtube playback... people watching the recorded video. So, I am not concerned so much about a live aspect as I am the finished recording for playback; don't know if there is a difference regarding any issues but if you know anything on that, advise.

So, this would be a recording where a narrator does his spoken word thing or interviews someone and I am a guest to sing an appropriate song to the message. Is there any type of setup one must have for a song to 'work' for (mostly) playback or is this problematic? Use one mic or separate... use guitar's onboard pickup (yuck) or an external mic?

You see this type of thing quite often where an artist is interviewed and then the host says, "hey, play a song!" (Original song.) So, obviously, it can be done well if you have the right setup. What's the right setup?
To recap... narrator, someone being interviewed, your vocal, your guitar, plus I'm assuming that everything should sound good?

That's going to require separate mics for each source plus your guitar pickup (if that's what you intend on using), all fed to some sort of mixer and then recorded either separately or as part of the video recording.

The cost of this can be fairly low to the sky's the limit, depending on how polished and professional the final product is desired to be.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:49 AM

The setup for a good recording won't be any different if you are recording to a DAW or if you're streaming. You'd ideally want two mics (you mention singing), cardioid pattern and configured to minimize bleed between vocal and guitar, with the guitar mic placed ahead of time in a position where it captures the guitar best. If you only have one mic, the placement is critical to balance vocal & guitar, so experimenting before the podcast recording would be important.

The mic used for the interview may or may not be the same one as used for the music, as well. I can see situations where the same mic would work fine, but in other cases (e.g. you're capturing the musical performance with one mic) you might want a different mic (e.g. a lav) for the interview portion.

Of course, you could do this in other ways too. For example, one vocal mic for both the interview and singing, and use the guitar's pickup output. This has the advantage of isolating the guitar from the vocals much more, at the expense of (likely) a not-as-nice acoustic tone.

As Rudy says, it really depends on how professional and polished you want things to end up, and your knowledge and gear available.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

In addition (unless I missed it), if your room acoustics are bad, your video will sound bad, so you may need to invest some in that.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-28-2024, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post

Humm having a little trouble following your question and there is a lot to unpack

There is so much detail you have not actually said, as what exactly you are anticipating or what your concept is about the specific situation,, because there are numerous viable different workflow ways this could be done.

Perhaps if you give a more detailed if general list rundown of how you and whoever else is thinking and what gear you already have and you budget range for any new gear because from what you have said so far the budget could be from several hundreds of dollars to 10's of thousands

With more info we might be able to offer better more targeted suggestions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD