The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-23-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broy View Post
Creaky chairs and recording don't mix... and it seems like most chairs creak. I'm going to go get a solid tree stump from outside and sit on that.
OK but if you sit on a stump, you are required to learn the guitar part from Dueling Banjos. Which has neither a stump or two banjos but hey who's countin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-23-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:07 AM

New may have the edge on vintage in this situation. Peculiar personal noises are more of a problem for me, anyway.

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 01-23-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Spend less and buy yourself music gear with the difference.

The Mity Lite Flex 1 isn't your grandpa's "folding chair".

I've been down the "guitar chair" road, looked high and low, and my pick goes to the MityLite Flex One CS, for sure.

https://mitylite.com/products/flexone-cs-folding-chair

Look around and you can find them for around $40. There are some light duty look-alikes, but notice the real Flex One is rated for 1000 pounds. I have a post here on AGF comparing the Flex 1 to it's 300 pound rated competition from Home Depot.

What do I like about it?

It's less than 10 pounds, ultra-affordable, has good air circulation for cool sitting, is VERY comfortable, doesn't squeak if you're recording, looks great, and is super easy to transport for gigging purposes.

After I purchased my first Flex One I picked up two more so I don't have to battle my playing friends over seating when they come over to play. The plus is many of them now have Flex One chairs they purchased for the same reasons so I don't even have to BMOC when I go to their homes to play.

A lot of "guitar chairs" available on the web have an "industrial" (some would say hideous...) look.

There are tons of "Sound Seat" lovers, I shy away due to price (I.m cheap...) and I often carry my favorite chair around with me. The Sound Seat is a bit too bulky and heavy for me to do that.

I tried a Roc-n-Soc drum throne with back attachment and it doesn't fit my definition of comfortable, YMMV. Some folks like them.

If you don't need portability then pick up a "church chair". (Yes, it's a whole catagory of seating. Google for details.)
Rudy, that puts a different slant on things. I don’t get the impression from the website that the Mity Lite FlexOne CS has any particular features that make it appropriate for playing or recording. It doesn’t stand out from the several other equally vaguely named “lightweight commercial folding chairs” alongside it.

Also, they don’t reward you with a price unless you provide your contact information first. That seems to be the way the online world is headed. I find it off-putting.

Without your endorsement, I’d have passed it over. But it sounds like a viable middle ground option at around $130, based on third-party listings.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 01-23-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Rudy, that puts a different slant on things. I don’t get the impression from the website that the Mity Lite FlexOne CS has any particular features that make it appropriate for playing or recording. It doesn’t stand out from the several other equally vaguely named “lightweight commercial folding chairs” alongside it.

Also, they don’t reward you with a price unless you provide your contact information first. That seems to be the way the online world is headed. I find it off-putting.

Without your endorsement, I’d have passed it over. But it sounds like a viable middle ground option at around $130, based on third-party listings.
That was just an example, and that $119 (HERE at Sam's Club) is for FOUR chairs. I bought my first one at Sam's Club for $25, and they are available individually at several retailers. Sam's Club may have them individually in their stores.

Someone else here on the forum bought one of their new models that have a cloth mesh back and seat and loved it for guitar playing. Not surprisingly it's called a Mity Lite Mesh 1.

I also have the lighter weight knock-off HDX chair (lower weight capacity) that is available from Home Depot for around $28. It's also pretty nice, but not as deluxe as the Mity Lite brand.

Mitylite doesn't list specific features that make their chairs great for our purposes, that's all from me! You can find my detailed comparison between the HDX Home Depot knock off and the actual Flex 1 HERE.

I love the N.Y. Times Wirecutter reviews of products. HERE is a review they did for folding chairs. No surprise to me what they picked as #1!

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-23-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Hope that helps!
Yes, that helps quite a bit!

Many thanks.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Per my other thread I have been super impressed with izotope rx noise removal ability to remove that kind of sound.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Per my other thread I have been super impressed with izotope rx noise removal ability to remove that kind of sound.
True, but as a friend of mine is fond of saying, "Fix it in Pre!" (As opposed to post, after the fact. It's almost always easier to get it right in the first place than have to fix it later.)
Old 01-23-2024, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Chairs do creak and it's a problem during recording. I use a teak chair that was purchased for use in the shower after a surgery that we never used. It is as solid as a rock, though not particularly comfortable.

- Glenn
Old 01-23-2024, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Singing Winds, Crying Beasts, the opening track on Santana’s Abraxas album, opens with an audible creak of the piano stool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD