The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-09-2024, 09:52 AM

Default Preferred IR loader for recording direct

Greetings!

I'm a big fan of IR loading for live amplification, and while I could record using my acoustic pedalboard, I am wondering if anyone has a go-to plugin suite for recording using custom IRs diretly?

(bonus points if you use a UAD solution that I can load in a unison slot)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I don't believe there is any unison IR loader, it's pretty limited list of plugins that can work there. There are quite a few IR loaders out there. What DAW are you using? In Logic or GarageBand, SpaceDesigner works well. Otherwise, maybe the Waves plugin? If you want real-time, then consider ToneDexter.

I don't think you'll find that this approach makes a great recording, mics still win for recording. But depends on what you want.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't believe there is any unison IR loader, it's pretty limited list of plugins that can work there. There are quite a few IR loaders out there. What DAW are you using? In Logic or GarageBand, SpaceDesigner works well. Otherwise, maybe the Waves plugin? If you want real-time, then consider ToneDexter.

I don't think you'll find that this approach makes a great recording, mics still win for recording. But depends on what you want.
Thanks so much for the reply!

I am using Pro Tools.

I have direct hardware (NUX Optima Air, Two Notes Opus)...but I am curious to be able to just use software in some instances.

From a recording quality perspective; I absolutely agree it wouldn't replace the use of mics...my use case is more in a writing studio, whereby I'd like to setup quickly (and in that context, IRs would be an improvement over direct pickups). There's also the "because I can" factor

What IR loader for Pro Tools have you used? Any that are better for acoustic than others?
Old 01-11-2024, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a pro tools user myself.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:20 PM

I recently purchase a TC Electronic Impulse IR loader. I am very happy with it regarding IRs for electric guitar. It does come with some acoustic guitar IRs which I haven't tried.

I imagine any decent microphone would do the job better.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 04-08-2024, 08:23 AM

The Nembrini IR loader is marketed as an electric guitar CAB modeler, but I find that it works fine as an acoustic guitar IR loader. The only issue with the Nembrini IR loader is that it doesn’t let you do a blend between the IR and the straight signal. Otherwise it works well.

Also, the IR loader in the software version of the Helix works very well.

As is the IR loader in Positive Grid’s FX2 (which is also marketed for cab IRs).

I have used the IR loaders on all three of these with the IR I captured myself using a NUX Optima Air, and all three work very well.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
Thanks so much for the reply!

I am using Pro Tools.

I have direct hardware (NUX Optima Air, Two Notes Opus)...but I am curious to be able to just use software in some instances.

From a recording quality perspective; I absolutely agree it wouldn't replace the use of mics...my use case is more in a writing studio, whereby I'd like to setup quickly (and in that context, IRs would be an improvement over direct pickups). There's also the "because I can" factor

What IR loader for Pro Tools have you used? Any that are better for acoustic than others?
I use Pro Tools but always record with a mic so I can't suggest any IR loader
That said if this just for writing in the studio. Why not just make a writing template with perhaps a combination of a delay plugin and reverb and just go DI in to your interface? I realize that it may still have that pickup sound but a delay and reverb can go a long way to taming the pickup (and maybe an EQ cut centered in any residual quack) and since it's for writing purposed it may not matter all that much ?
I routinely use Pro Tools Tape Delay and my Bricasti reverb in my sessions even with mic's

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD