The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2024, 08:16 AM

Default ANY INSIGHTS on RECORDING BOURGEOIS GUITARS?

There is a plethora of information on many guitar brands directed at recording. I mainly use Collings guitars and their sound and EQ profile is well documented. But I find almost nothing on Bourgeois. I played one in Nashville over the holidays and it plays really nicely. But I was not in a great room.

I'm not necessarily talking comparative sound; they do appear to be warmer, etc. I'm specifically talking EQ and base and treble response. Some guitars need less EQ, others take EQ quite well.

Would love some thoughts on this. I am specifically looking at OM's and perhaps a GA. All aged tone. One in particular is the LSH OM.

My recording chain is both LDC and SDC's through either tube preamps (D.W. Fearn) or solid state (BAE 1028's). I tend to do close miking often so balance and bass response is key.

Thanks in advance for your help. Lance
Old 01-08-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I don’t do anything special with my [AT Adi/brw] OM, honestly. I have tended to SDCs because the general area around us has just gotten noisier overall - but a good LDC can do a great job if you have a space that allows its use. Just position it using pretty typical setups, out from the 12th fret enough to temper proximity and angled to capture the body. I don’t think close micing is going to capture the full sound if you’re recording solo, so a couple mics may work better.

I find mine is very balanced and before I found it I’d heard that the brand fell kind of between Collings and Martin. that’s a generalization but at least to my ear it is kind of in that area. I have not experimented a lot with strings, though - keeping EXPs on it, though I’ll switch to XS when they run out. I may try mediums, too.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:19 AM

Just use the EQ in your DAW. You can boost or cut bass and treble as needed. Usually with more than one guitar, you'll want to EQ them differently anyway
Old 01-10-2024, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Even for a particular guitar the recorded sound will still likely comes out different (especially for a do it yourself at home recording versus a more professional studio setting) for each recording you make (different tune different mike(s) set up, etc.).
If possible install within your recording space some acoustical treatment such absorption panel. Then experiment.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD