The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 PM

Default NHL - 2017/2018 Season - Part II

The last thread hit 300 posts so starting a new one.

Here's to exciting Trade Deadline deals and the final march to the playoffs.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM

On a very sad note I just read that Carolina's Jordan Staal has missed the Hurricane's last two games because of the death of his infant daughter Hannah. Such a horrible thing to lose a child. Condolences to Jordan and his wife Heather.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-25-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
On a very sad note I just read that Carolina's Jordan Staal has missed the Hurricane's last two games because of the death of his infant daughter Hannah. Such a horrible thing to lose a child. Condolences to Jordan and his wife Heather.
I read that too. Very sad. Jordan was a great member of the Pens' team early in his career.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:42 AM

Good news is that Bergeron played last night against the Sabres. Bad news is that the Bruins lost 4-1. Newcomer Rick Nash had 5 shots on goal (a good thing) but didn't score. Was a tough weekend for the B's. Those second games of B2Bs after a first game against a big rival seem to be the worst. Maybe a combo of fatigue and letdown? I've heard them referred to as "trap games".

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-26-2018, 12:51 PM

My hometown Flyers are surprising me. Currently tied with the Penguins, who woulda thought that?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808K View Post
My hometown Flyers are surprising me. Currently tied with the Penguins, who woulda thought that?
I am surprised. What's the scoop? How have they turned things around?

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-26-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Well, of course, it’s because they are riding the coattails of the Super Bowl champion Eagles! Ha ha
Old 02-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Tomas Plekanec to the Leafs. That should make for four strong lines to roll once Matthews gets back, just like Babcock likes. I am really enjoying the progress they've made in the past couple of seasons after so many years of hopelessness.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Tomas Plekanec to the Leafs. That should make for four strong lines to roll once Matthews gets back, just like Babcock likes. I am really enjoying the progress they've made in the past couple of seasons after so many years of hopelessness.
As soon as Toronto hired Babcock and they said they were rebuilding I told my buddy that the Leafs (or Edmonton) would be the next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup. I think Toronto's a couple of years away.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
As soon as Toronto hired Babcock and they said they were rebuilding I told my buddy that the Leafs (or Edmonton) would be the next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup. I think Toronto's a couple of years away.
They really turned the whole organization around. MLSE is still benefitting from Tim Leiweke’s relatively brief tenure in charge. He injected some much-needed winning attitude into the three teams. I finally got to see Toronto FC lift the MLS Cup in December and I was ecstatic (I’ve been there since day one). The Raptors are really good and the Leafs are right up there, too.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
They really turned the whole organization around. MLSE is still benefitting from Tim Leiweke’s relatively brief tenure in charge. He injected some much-needed winning attitude into the three teams. I finally got to see Toronto FC lift the MLS Cup in December and I was ecstatic (I’ve been there since day one). The Raptors are really good and the Leafs are right up there, too.
The Leaf's positive turnaround started when they got out of the "give away young talent / draft pics for a short term, trade deadline veteran" just for a playoff push. That always seemed to doom them. I thought it was a mistake when they resigned Kessel and Phaneuf to those big contracts too.

Best thing about the Babcock signing is that it was done quietly - we only heard about it after it was done.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Leaf's positive turnaround started when they got out of the "give away young talent / draft pics for a short term, trade deadline veteran" just for a playoff push. That always seemed to doom them. I thought it was a mistake when they resigned Kessel and Phaneuf to those big contracts too.

Best thing about the Babcock signing is that it was done quietly - we only heard about it after it was done.
That’s was exactly what Tim Leiweke did. He brought in quality hockey people to run the hockey team, just like he brought in basketball and soccer people for their respective teams. Shanahan, Babcock, Lamoriello and a slew of other really good front office staff were all under his watch. Lamoriello has done a great job of shedding bad contracts. They have stocked up on young talent through good scouting and through actually keeping their prospects and they have proven winners in the key roles of president, GM and coach.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 AM

Trade deadline surprises for me:

The Lightning getting McDonough and J.T. Miller from the Rangers- Tampa Bay is stacked!

The Jets getting Stastny from the Blues- Didn't think the Blues would throw in the towel.

The Capitals doing nothing.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Well, with the Flyers now in 1st in the Metro, I guess I should be serious!

Only guessing, but thinking it’s (1) Giroux finally being healthy, and (2) a youth movement, especially on D.

But who knows, the way the Flyers have been, I would not be surprised if they miss the playoffs.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 PM

The Bruins' Bergeron is out with a fractured foot. Why did he even play last game? What a big hit for the team.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic