The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'm assuming the actual M-B tests are much more specific. The way some of the questions were worded on that short one I took could go one way or the other, given different circumstances...
As I recall, the full length MBTI has many additional questions posed differently to assess the same trait. I was unfortunately exposed to it by a former spouse who used her MMBTI profile to justify an unwillingness to change. However, I developed a strong fondness for it after I learned about the Myers-Briggs years later...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-07-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:08 PM

I’m sorry but this reminds me one time many years ago at one of my sons baseball games there was a guy there arguing with his wife and he said , “honey you’ve got multiple personalities and I don’t like any of them!”
Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 PM

One of the more interesting evolution's related to these personality make up profiles is how they are being used in conjunction with cutting edge Quantum Physics theories related to "Simulation theory" .

At first I was very skeptical about this simulation theory stuff, but the more you take the time to watch advanced lectures available online at major universities and other institutions, and if you can absorb and understand the science behind what you are having explained to you....suddenly, stuff starts getting real weird real fast and if you have the ability to look at these things like clues or facts in a crime you are trying to solve, suddenly all these clues, facts, theories based on scientific discovery start pointing in a very strange direction that gets all Sherlock Holmesy with the what ever is left as improbable as it seems is it. And what it is , is , we very well may be material 3d simulations living inside a giant holographic computer construct which may be the universe as we know it and that our beliefs,paradigms and personality types may be "programs" and that all matter as we know it is in fact light waves that only manifest as matter when they are observed.

So maybe in this video game where the points we play for is money and the goal seems to be procreate and then die, we have several types of personality types that one could be and that the type you get assigned will have lots to do with the way your life inside the game unfolds based on the way your personality traits effect your decision making process.

I too an Infj, seem more prone to be concerned about humanity as a whole than my own personal role in this production, something that makes you great at understanding others, but probably not great at getting "ahead" in the game as many choices are not being made with "me" as the primary concern in the decision. Infj's are less likely to ask, "whats in it for me" and more likely to ask "what can we do together that will benefit us all." Infj's are like people who are always trying to prove Machiavelli's cold hard logic in the book "The Prince" wrong. The way things are and the way things ought to be...I guess I'll never understand, even though I do understand, why things can't be the way they ought to be....I guess it's eternal optimism in the hope that we can all work together to make a better world.

so if "stuff" is only real because we are observing it, that means we are only real because someone is watching us.

Last edited by M19; 01-07-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Masked profanity
Old 01-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
I guess I'll never understand, even though I do understand, why things can't be the way they ought to be..

so if "stuff" is only real because we are observing it, that means we are only real because someone is watching us.
The "big picture" view of the world has been a bit of a burden at times in my life - kind of an underlying issue actually. While many go along their day blissfully unaware of how the choices they make affect others and the Earth, I'm consumed by it much of the time.

This has INFJ discovery helped me understand that being wired this way is not something I experience all alone.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

This feels strange. I have known that I am an INFJ for 35 years or so now. I still have the file around here somewhere that has all the testing etc. I used to constantly study psychology until I got it. Often it has felt like a burden that no one would really understand. Personally I have never met another INFJ so this does feel odd.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-06-2018, 10:54 PM

Took this test a decade or so ago and INTJ fits me to the bone.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
This feels strange. I have known that I am an INFJ for 35 years or so now. I still have the file around here somewhere that has all the testing etc. I used to constantly study psychology until I got it. Often it has felt like a burden that no one would really understand. Personally I have never met another INFJ so this does feel odd.
Ah - the (good) power of the internet......we're "out there" my friend!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah - the (good) power of the internet......we're "out there" my friend!
To borrow an idea from Seinfeld, maybe we should wear buttons with our MBTI type proudly emblazoned....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I lasted about a year in car sales way back in the day, even selling Honda's (I've never owned anything else so it was a pretty safe bet) Not for me either. WAY too many hours for too little pay and an arrogant dealer principal that I was continually butting heads with.
Another INFJ that once sold Hondas.... and yeah, I was constantly butting heads with manager arrogance and an overall lack of ethics.

Male INFJs are the rarest of the types - though I'm not surprised to see them well represented here in a forum for acoustic guitar lovers.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 01-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Years ago, we got a new chief at our department and he was trying all sorts of “new” things...
He found that the university (it’s a campus police department) was offering the Myers-Briggs thing and encouraged us to try it.

I’d never heard of the thing but being the deeply skeptical person I am I did research. The “Skeptic’s Dictionary” site is a good place to start, and the article there was less than encouraging...
Essentially, this is little more than astrology dressed up in psuedoscience. Here’s the article:
http://skepdic.com/myersb.html
(With a variety of references)

Note that this is based on many of Jung’s ideas, which to skeptical folks make it immediately suspect...

The correlation with astrology is that the individual “types” are defined so generally that the person simply “reads into” the results whatever seems close to their own perceptions.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I've not been exposed to this information in the past, but today I stumbled upon a lengthy article and felt like someone was reading a story I'd written about myself.

At one point it lists some careers that are well suited and, no surprise, one says "musician". Just wondered if others here had discovered this info if it applies to them.

I've been really struggling lately, and mostly for reasons out of my control, but increasingly so as I age I feel that I'm just not fitting the mold any longer. I'm sure that is normal to some point, but this information made me feel a little less of an oddity in our modern world.

http://soulspottv.com/blog/rarest-pe...ity-type-infj/
I was introduced to this information in the '90's. It was a hit with everyone in my department. Over time it was forgotten. It did not appear to be a predictor of anything, but it made people feel like it did for you.

Psychologists and economists like to put people into categories because it allows a scientific approach. As Richard Thaler learned, people are predictably irrational and do not behave as economist think they should act.

I think this is true for the BM approach which grew out of Jung's personality types. I doubt anyone truly conforms to Jung's types.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I've taken it a couple of times. INTP both times. My boss, at the time, said it fit me to a "T". I wasn't quite sure what to make of that. A definitely minority in the military, but it worked out OK for me.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
Another INFJ that once sold Hondas.... and yeah, I was constantly butting heads with manager arrogance and an overall lack of ethics.

Male INFJs are the rarest of the types - though I'm not surprised to see them well represented here in a forum for acoustic guitar lovers.

Although I wasn’t in sales (marketing and IT), I, too, worked at a Honda dealership. INFJs must have a thing for Hondas. And it does not appear we are destined to be salesmen in the long-term.
2005 Alvarez AJ-60S/12 NAT
2005 Aria Sinsonido AS-100S
2004/5 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Series (MIM)
1988 Fender F-210S
... and because I love all my children equally:
1974 Tiesco “Strat”
1971 Ronda made for Paul A. Schmitt Music Co.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Default INFJ personality type (Myers-Briggs)

I was a big skeptic of these things years ago - but me and my wife landed on the https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test years ago and it helped us, and our kids better understand one another. Everyone is unique no doubt, but this is a tool to help you understand how people lean. For the skeptics - I dare you to take it, just be honest about it. I can almost guarantee it will be helpful. If not, nothing lost. Btw - I’m an ENFP but starting to lean toward INFP [emoji4]
Old 01-07-2018, 12:24 PM

The MB test was a revolution for me too.

I had no idea there were personality types or how significant they are.
I thought I was just uniquely superior and everyone else should be like me, because I'm obviously right about everything.
How could he behave that way?
Why is she so obnoxious?
How in the world could everyone not be just like me; it's unthinkable.

Seriously, I didn't outwardly think that way or let on ... but I confess that deep down that was the swill that was festering deep down in my psychology.

My employer sent a bunch of us to a week-long management thingie that started with the MB tests.
WOW! I had no idea!
It changed my life.
Now I understand that, she's that way because she's that type.
Nothing more.
... and when one type encounters a certain other type, these are the specific difficulties to be expected.

Brilliant stuff.
IMO MB testing and training should be taught in every high school.
It helps us respect diversity and get along.
It doesn't just improve all of one's relationships ...
Finding out that there is not one single correct way to be (and believing that everyone should be THAT way) improves one's mental health and gives one a kind of peace.

Last edited by Tico; 01-07-2018 at 12:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic