The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Best nylon "G" string recommendation

Best nylon "G" string recommendation???

I tried to "search" but was not able to find anything...

I like Savarez Cantiga/Alliance strings in both normal and high tension but am still looking for the perfect (to me) "G"...

I'm playing a Cervantes Crossover 1 Engelmann/IR...

Please include what woods your guitar is made of along with any string suggestion...

I think this is important... seems to me that strings sound differently on different woods ...

Thanks for any suggestions...

Gene

Last edited by 47gene; 10-11-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM

A tag-on question: any instances of a tubby g on one guitar sounding good when switched to another?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM

I've been liking the "composite" G that comes with a certain D'Addairo Pro-Arte set...I'll get the # when I get home tonight.

I'm assuming you have issues with the G sounding "dead" or "thuddy?"

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM

I actually use an Alliance third (flourocarbon) with my good old J45s (nylon) on my Kenny Hill Player, 650mm sp/rw. Sounds fantastic.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I actually use an Alliance third (flourocarbon) with my good old J45s (nylon) on my Kenny Hill Player, 650mm sp/rw. Sounds fantastic.
Thx Doggy... I meant to ask everyone to include their guitar info... esp the woods...

I think this is important... seems to me that strings sound differently on different woods ...

I modified the original post to include this...

Last edited by 47gene; 10-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47gene View Post
I'm playing a Cervantes Crossover II Englemann/Cocobolo.

And I've always preferred the D'Addario J46s, straight hard tension clear nylon trebles, G through E.
(And Savarez Corum HT basses).

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-12-2017, 06:10 AM

AndreF,

Are those the strings you are using on your Cervantes in your youTube video "Ballad on Classical"?

Very nicely played....
Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 AM

I think through all the years I've been attempting to play "classical" guitar, this third string has been a problem which so far I haven't solved satisfactorily. I think that ultimately it's more down to the instrument itself rather than the maker or type of string and I think you need to spend quite a lot of money to do it.
I play an Amalio Burguet Model 2M which is hardly to be classed as "high-end" (in GB anyway) but it cost more than any other classicals I've had and it still has the problem. It is a cedar fronted Indian rosewood instrument with good projection and a nice tone. Over the years I've tried most makes of string but mainly use one of the Savarez types, High Tension. I've recently fitted a set where the 1 & 2 strings are Nylon New Crystal, 3 is an Alliance and the basses are Cantiga. I'm just playing them in so I'm not sure how they are. They are High Tension. If someone does find an answer they would be helping thousands of student/intermediate players out of a really frustrating rut. (Which is what you get with an ill-fitting G-String!).
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
AndreF,

Are those the strings you are using on your Cervantes in your youTube video "Ballad on Classical"?

Very nicely played....
Yes, those are them! and thanks!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
I think through all the years I've been attempting to play "classical" guitar, this third string has been a problem which so far I haven't solved satisfactorily. I think that ultimately it's more down to the instrument itself rather than the maker or type of string and I think you need to spend quite a lot of money to do it.
I play an Amalio Burguet Model 2M which is hardly to be classed as "high-end" (in GB anyway) but it cost more than any other classicals I've had and it still has the problem. It is a cedar fronted Indian rosewood instrument with good projection and a nice tone. Over the years I've tried most makes of string but mainly use one of the Savarez types, High Tension. I've recently fitted a set where the 1 & 2 strings are Nylon New Crystal, 3 is an Alliance and the basses are Cantiga. I'm just playing them in so I'm not sure how they are. They are High Tension. If someone does find an answer they would be helping thousands of student/intermediate players out of a really frustrating rut. (Which is what you get with an ill-fitting G-String!).
Mr. Scott... thank you for your comprehensive answer...

I am hoping this thread will help many of us find what has worked for some of us... there are just to many string options to try them all....

Gene
Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Best nylon "G" string recommendation???

I tried to "search" but was not able to find anything...

I like Savarez Cantiga/Alliance strings in both normal and high tension but am still looking for the perfect (to me) "G"...

Please include what woods your guitar is made of along with any string suggestion...

Thanks for any suggestions...

Gene
Mari 100p or Dogal Diamante are worth trying if you really want a nylon third.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Mari 100p or Dogal Diamante are worth trying if you really want a nylon third.
Thanks Carey...

I will investigate these strings...

Do you have or know where I could "hear them"?

Thanks... gene
Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 AM

I have a 2017 Marcus Dominelli spruce over cedar DT (630)with Rosewood back and sides that has the tubby G string problem. Savarez corum (carbon) improved it a lot, but Hannabach Goldin super high carbons pretty much solved it - all strings HT because it is a short scale guitar. The other strings are the regular nylon pro-arte and they sound as good as anything else I've tried.

Julie
Old 10-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
I have a 2017 Marcus Dominelli spruce over cedar DT (630)with Rosewood back and sides that has the tubby G string problem. Savarez corum (carbon) improved it a lot, but Hannabach Goldin super high carbons pretty much solved it - all strings HT because it is a short scale guitar. The other strings are the regular nylon pro-arte and they sound as good as anything else I've tried.

Julie
Julie... that's wonderful... I will give them a try....

Thanks for your response... gene
Old 10-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post

Julie
Savarez Corum are bass strings. Savarez carbon strings are called Alliance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical