The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 06-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Default HG Resurgence

Yeah, let's keep this up, ladies and gentleman! It's great to read of players finding how pleasurable a harp guitar can be. As you have found, Jeff, just the sympathetic resonance from those bass strings adds another whole sound envelopment. I have one of the prototype Holloways, and play it more than my other guitars--it's like a piano on one's lap. I keep mine in DADGAD and GABCDE for the subs. I use fingers only.
Dave was working with Scott at Holloway when I spoke with him on the phone and he chose mine from the other protos and then set it up. I am as pleased now as I was when I first played it. Actually more, after doing my own tweaking (but that was another post).
Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Lately I've been keeping mine in DAFGCE on the guitar, and DFGABfC on the harp strings. I had tuned it down a half step, but decided the lower strings were too floppy - as it is, the D string tuned up to F is pretty tight, so I may go to a slightly smaller diameter on that one, 0.027 would be about right.

You're right, the harp strings vibrate even if you don't pluck them, adding to the sound experience. The guitar is quite loud too, rivals my 12-string!
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Just wanted to add another thumbs-up for Tonedevil! I wanted a 12-string version of a harp guitar, because I love harp guitars and because I wanted a second 12-string to keep in a different tuning than my 456ce, and I'm really happy with my S-12 so I ordered a semi-custom S-18. This is more or less identical to my S-12, but has 12 strings on the neck plus 6 bass strings. It arrived this week, and I'm loving it! Lovely resonant sound multiplied by about 2, it really fills up a room with sound like nothing I've ever played before. Excellent workmanship, nothing fancy or showy but it does what I want it to do, intonates fine and stays in tune, fine action, and it sounds great. Kudos to Dave and Tony for making and selling excellent and affordable harp guitars, including custom jobs if you want something a little different!
download1.jpg
Old 03-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Update, this S-18 has become far and away my favorite acoustic guitar of all time. My initial plan was to have a second 12-string in a different tuning, and while that happened, what also happened is, I don't play my 456ce very much anymore because I'd rather play this. Really something, if you've never played a 12-string harp guitar before, and you like 12-strings (or, just like harp guitars), it's worth seeking one out if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Just wanted to add another thumbs-up for Tonedevil! I wanted a 12-string version of a harp guitar, because I love harp guitars and because I wanted a second 12-string to keep in a different tuning than my 456ce, and I'm really happy with my S-12 so I ordered a semi-custom S-18. This is more or less identical to my S-12, but has 12 strings on the neck plus 6 bass strings. It arrived this week, and I'm loving it! Lovely resonant sound multiplied by about 2, it really fills up a room with sound like nothing I've ever played before. Excellent workmanship, nothing fancy or showy but it does what I want it to do, intonates fine and stays in tune, fine action, and it sounds great. Kudos to Dave and Tony for making and selling excellent and affordable harp guitars, including custom jobs if you want something a little different!
Attachment 1371
Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM

The S12 will probably be my next guitar thanks to this thread. I've been waiting for something like these to come along.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar