The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 AM

Default Dreadnought 12 fret question

While I like the dreadnought sound, these guitars have typically felt too big for me. Cruising YouTube last night I came across a video by our own SillyMoustache playing a 12 fret dread that I thought sounded really good.

While I know I would need to play for myself and figure out--but does a 12 fret dread vs 14 fret "feel" like a smaller guitar?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:33 AM

Default 12 fret

Your left hand won't have to reach quite as far with a 12 fret but the body is the same size, so it really won't feel that much different.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles View Post
While I like the dreadnought sound, these guitars have typically felt too big for me. Cruising YouTube last night I came across a video by our own SillyMoustache playing a 12 fret dread that I thought sounded really good.

While I know I would need to play for myself and figure out--but does a 12 fret dread vs 14 fret "feel" like a smaller guitar?
Hi Riles, well, I have to respond to you - and thanks for watching my video(s).

On Collings guitars both 12 and14 are identical in dept - 4 & 7/8" and in Martin the depth of the 14 fret is usually 4 & 7/8" but their 12 frets tend (according to details I have), are 4 & 3/4"

The difference in "feel" of the 12 Vs 14, is minimal but there is a little less left arm extension on a 12 due to the positioning of the bridge (and for me at least) makes my picking hand fall right on the sweet spot.

The main difference between the two designs is the width of the fretboard, and this is why I changed to 12 fretters; the "original" Dreadnought design had the same neck dimensions as the 12 fret 000. 1 & 7/8" nut width (Collings are 1 & 13/16") and a wider string spacing that the 14 fret (Collings has 2 & 3/8" I don't know about Martins.

IF, like me and an increasing number of people seem to need a wider fretboard (perhaps fingers have become fatter since 1934) the 12 fret configuration often offers benefits over the thin "rhythm" guitar neck of the 14 fretters.
Obviously most are perfectly happy doing all sorts of wondrous things on a thinner fretboard, but I know I'm not the only one wgo needs a little extra spacing.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
.......... (perhaps fingers have become fatter since 1934) ..................

I tell people that my fingers, like my waistline, are spreading as I get older....
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles View Post
As long as we're talking about Martin-style Dreadnaughts, the answer is no. They are actually bigger. The 12 fret D body is 1" longer, but because the neck moves 1 3/8", the bridge moves the extra 3/8" toward the tail block. That means the nut is 3/8" closer to your hand, but I play with a capo so much that I'm used to the "nut" position changing anyway. I don't feel a lot of practical difference playing one or the other in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
On Collings guitars both 12 and14 are identical in dept - 4 & 7/8" and in Martin the depth of the 14 fret is usually 4 & 7/8" but their 12 frets tend (according to details I have), are 4 & 3/4".
I don't know where you got that information, but it's not correct. Martin 12 fret and 14 fret D's have the same body depth, true for neck and tail block thickness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion