The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Looper Electro-Harmonix 22500 Challenge

I've been using an Electro Harmonix 22500 Looper recently and while it offers a ton of valuable features like A & B loops, massive storage with 100 storage slots, I have a couple issues for live use that make challenging.

1. HUGE issue for my "live" needs: Erasing loops cannot be accomplished easily. Press & Hold on a footswitch is NOT available on this looper like it is on a number of other loopers. I like to use a Looper "Live/real-time". So I cannot easily delete a loop to enable the next loop when I need.

To erase, you need to press a mode knob, scroll to an LED to Erase, press again to get into a status to erase, then select a loop bank number you want to erase. This is entirely too many steps for "live" use IMO.

2. The A-B footswitches for Verse / chorus are very close to one another. So it requires a lot of looking down to make sure you hit the right switch.

3. Having a number of loop banks available is great, but there is no way to advance to the next bank with a footswitch. (That I have found)

I will probably revert to my former EHX 720 which is simpler and more straight forward. It doesn't offer the option of a B Loop for chorus or bridge, but I've gotten by just fine.

Surprised there are not many new loop station options. Most are several years old. Boss RC-30, Digitech Stereo Jamman etc.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I've been trying out some loopers lately and I keep finding one or two things that make them not quite right.

I'm currently trying a Pigtronix Infinity Looper and it's working pretty well so far. It has two separate loops that are supposed to be able to work independently but I can't seem to record to loop 2 until after I have recorded something on loop 1.

It's always something!

Matt
Old 12-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I've been trying out some loopers lately and I keep finding one or two things that make them not quite right.

I'm currently trying a Pigtronix Infinity Looper and it's working pretty well so far. It has two separate loops that are supposed to be able to work independently but I can't seem to record to loop 2 until after I have recorded something on loop 1.

It's always something!

Matt
Same with the EHX 22500. They require Loop A records first. Now, you could always record the chorus or bridge first, then use "B" for the verse. Would that work?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Same with the EHX 22500. They require Loop A records first. Now, you could always record the chorus or bridge first, then use "B" for the verse. Would that work?
I thought it would be cool to have one loop for percussion and the other for guitar and then be able to turn on and off either loop as needed.

The percussion part would just be a simple tap on the top of the guitar or a hit across the muted strings and then the guitar part would be a verse or a chorus, whichever part I want to try to solo over.

The problem I'm having with the Infinity looper is that once I have recorded parts on both loop 1 and 2 it seems that my only option is to then play both of those loops or neither of them! So I couldn't have the percussive loop always running and then just play the guitar loop when it's time for a solo.

There are a ton of different settings on the Pigtronix so I could still be missing something that would allow me to do this.

I don't want to hijack your thread. I only share this to agree with you that it seems common to make these things more difficult than they should be!

Matt
Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I thought it would be cool to have one loop for percussion and the other for guitar and then be able to turn on and off either loop as needed.

The percussion part would just be a simple tap on the top of the guitar or a hit across the muted strings and then the guitar part would be a verse or a chorus, whichever part I want to try to solo over.

The problem I'm having with the Infinity looper is that once I have recorded parts on both loop 1 and 2 it seems that my only option is to then play both of those loops or neither of them! So I couldn't have the percussive loop always running and then just play the guitar loop when it's time for a solo.

There are a ton of different settings on the Pigtronix so I could still be missing something that would allow me to do this.

I don't want to hijack your thread. I only share this to agree with you that it seems common to make these things more difficult than they should be!

Matt
With Flexibility and versatility comes a layer of complexity. I think the EHX 22500 might do what you want as long as the loop lengths are the same. A & B loops can be played simultaneously.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
With Flexibility and versatility comes a layer of complexity. I think the EHX 22500 might do what you want as long as the loop lengths are the same. A & B loops can be played simultaneously.
The Pigtronix does do what I wanted! Your thread spurred me into action. I couldn't quite figure it out from the directions but by screwing around with some different settings I am able to get the loops to be completely independent. They can be different lengths and I can start and stop them individually. In this mode I don't think I can stop them both at the same time but I'll work on that next!

Matt
Old 12-12-2017, 12:14 AM

I have a 22500 and it just isn't all that much fun to use. I thought I would use it for the SD card so I could recall stored jazz tunes. And a more dedicated musician could set up a whole practice session to step through. But I don't and just use phone apps for that. Thinking about getting something simple.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 AM

Old thread.. just thought I would let folks know that Electro Harmonix has released a software update for the 22500 that includes things like being able to erase using the foot switches.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Default Stop function

Hello guys! I've been trying to find out the following information about the 22500 looper. I've read the manual and nothing. I haven't been able to find that specific info

I'll write an example of what I want to do.
The intro of my song has the same chord progression as the bridge. I'd like to record the progression but I DONT want it to playback immediately. I'd like to play it when the bridge arrives.
I'd like to record the loop and stop it with the stop button so it won't playback. I'd prefer not to press the button twice fast.

I do this with the looper of my Boss DD-500 but I want to build an acoustic pedalboard so I don't have to take my electric pedalboard.

I'm going to buy the looper that makes this. Either it's Boss Rc-30, ehx 22500, pigtronix, etc.

I'd appreciate any help please!!! Thanks!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification