The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2018, 11:26 PM

Default Help to split my guitar signal properly.

Hi,
I’ve been slack about putting my pedal board together but I’m going to get it done.

The problem is I have to split my guitar signal. My guitar has an active pickup.

The split signal will go to my TC helicon Play Acoustic pedal and the other split path will go to a Boss OC-3 pedal. I may add a few other pedals here or there. For example I may add a bass pedal on the OC-3 path perhaps a volume pedal on the Play Acoustic Path.

The other pedal in my system is the Beat Buddy that will go into the Acoustic play path.

The OC-3 will just be for bass lines and will either go into its own bass channel or a little bass amp.

I’ve read all I can about ABY pedals active or isolated and y splitters. Seems some work better then others depending on circumstances and one size does not fit all.

Most discussions are also based around a passive electric guitar going into two amps which is completely different.

Thanks

Last edited by Mischief; 03-03-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Do you want to split it into two 1/4 inch outputs?
Do you need both at the same time or the ability
to have one or the other or both?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:15 PM

The OC-3 has a direct out jack in addition to the the regular output jack.

Can you just go from the OC-3 direct out to your TC Helicon and avoid having to use a splitter ?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

I use this with a T5 to split the signal between an acoustic amp and an electric guitar amp. Works good.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
The OC-3 has a direct out jack in addition to the the regular output jack.

Can you just go from the OC-3 direct out to your TC Helicon and avoid having to use a splitter ?

Yes I can use the pedal to split just as you said. That’s the way I will until I can get a pedal that can split before the pedal.

One of the reasons I wanted to pre split the signal is I’ve seen good results using a EQ and compressor before the pedal which can help it lock in and track better and seemed to really clean up the bass when strumming chords. Of corse though I then need to retain the original signal with a splitter to send to the Play acoustic pedal.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I use this with a T5 to split the signal between an acoustic amp and an electric guitar amp. Works good.

Have you ever tried to split into standard pedals and a DI?

I’ve been told the imbalance of the input can cause an issue with some types of ABY pedals. I’ve also been told that active pickups act differently then passive with ABY pedals. However I can’t seem to find any information on how an active pickup being split to regular pedals and a DI respond and what type of ABY pedal handles It best.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 PM

For your application, I would probably get a Radial BigShot ABY. It's active, so you shouldn't experience any signal loss when splitting, and has ground lift, isolated outputs, and a few other bells and whistles that can come in handy to solve common ABY issues. It will require a 9v power supply, since it's active.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
For your application, I would probably get a Radial BigShot ABY. It's active, so you shouldn't experience any signal loss when splitting, and has ground lift, isolated outputs, and a few other bells and whistles that can come in handy to solve common ABY issues. It will require a 9v power supply, since it's active.

Thanks.
I’m thinking the same thing.
One issue the boss pedal had when I use it to split (thru and Octave out separate) is if I depress the pedal when the octave is on the guitar signal is reduced by about half. That means if I can’t really switch it on and off without stopping to readjust the guitar volume.

If I understand these active splitter ABY pedal it should remain balanced despite switching. Is that correct?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
if I depress the pedal when the octave is on the guitar signal is reduced by about half.
Hmmm...I don't experience this with my Boss OC-3. Running the direct level knob around 3-4 o'clock the guitar level remains the same with the pedal on or off. The octave level is around 12 o'clock.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
I’m thinking the same thing.
One issue the boss pedal had when I use it to split (thru and Octave out separate) is if I depress the pedal when the octave is on the guitar signal is reduced by about half. That means if I can’t really switch it on and off without stopping to readjust the guitar volume.

If I understand these active splitter ABY pedal it should remain balanced despite switching. Is that correct?
So far as I understand it, an active ABY pedal should split with no signal loss. That was the primary reason I recommended it.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
Hmmm...I don't experience this with my Boss OC-3. Running the direct level knob around 3-4 o'clock the guitar level remains the same with the pedal on or off. The octave level is around 12 o'clock.

Mmmm [emoji848] interesting,
I’ll have to set it up and try playing with the settings to see if I can mitigate the dynamic change when turning the pedal on off.

Does your OC-3 change guitar volume if you have the settings different?

I played around with some of my settings but I think I had direct guitar at 12:00-3:00 and the OCT between 12:00-3:00 the range at around 9:00-10:00

Have you found a setting that works well for both picking baseline and strumming full chords?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Does your OC-3 change guitar volume if you have the settings different?
Sorry for delay in replying.

Yes. Using my Ovation, if the direct level knob is set between 2 and 3 o'clock, the guitar volume is the same with the pedal on or off. In setting the direct knob level it helps to have the octave 1 level knob all the way off. When you have the direct level set, then bring the octave 2 level up as needed.

Quote:
Have you found a setting that works well for both picking baseline and strumming full chords?
I don't strum full chords with the OC-3 on. I'm plucking the low E or A, or D strings then strumming or picking the 3 or 4 high strings, using a flat pick or finger picking depending the on the song. Most of the time the range knob is set to around noon adjusting from that if I want to hear an octave on the D string. And the mode knob is set to poly. Also do a fair amount of of palm muting and the OC-3 works well when doing this to add some bottom to the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification