The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Default QSC TouchMix 8 Question

For those who upgraded to the latest software, how does one select High Impedance (Z) for channels 1 or 2? It doesn't seem to jump out at me. Moreover, does anyone know if the impedance is adequate for a K&K passive pickup (1M Ohm)? I cannot find it in the literature and I've read conflicting info on the Internet.

Thanks,

David
Old 08-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Default QSC TouchMix 8 Question

I got a response from QSC. It's a bug in the firmware. If you cycle through the list of inputs while on the channel setup page, it should reappear on the second refresh of the first two channels. They're working on a fix. There is no "High Z" option for the TouchMix 16. Additionally, it would appear their definition of "High" is not the same as mine. According to the Internet forum people, it means 100K Ohms, not 10M Ohm, or even 1M Ohm. So, it may be a moot point for me and my passive K&K, regardless.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:05 PM

Just use a DI box, Dave. That will bring the impedance down. Ric
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Just use a DI box, Dave. That will bring the impedance down. Ric

That's the plan now. My Red Eye arrived today and I gave it a go. Sounds good. The High Z on the mixer was not quite high enough for the K&K. I was getting weird high end artifacts in the tone. That seems to be purely an impedance mismatch issue.

I'm using the 12 string version of the K&K. Not sure if there is any difference in impedance.

All that said, I actually think the K&K sounds better through the TC Play Acoustic pedal, using a blend of the BodyRez 2 setting, than the Red Eye. But, there is a lot going on in the TC PA.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That's the plan now. My Red Eye arrived today and I gave it a go. Sounds good. The High Z on the mixer was not quite high enough for the K&K. I was getting weird high end artifacts in the tone. That seems to be purely an impedance mismatch issue.

I'm using the 12 string version of the K&K. Not sure if there is any difference in impedance.

All that said, I actually think the K&K sounds better through the TC Play Acoustic pedal, using a blend of the BodyRez 2 setting, than the Red Eye. But, there is a lot going on in the TC PA.
Interesting. So you like the TC Play Acoustic sound for your K&K equipped acoustic more than playing through the Red-eye? I tried a Red Eye once and I was very impressed with its presence. This was contrasted to the TC BodyRez (stand alone pedal). But that's not entirely the same comparison that you've done since the TC Play Acoustic is doing "more" as you say.

PS: I have a Touchmix 8. Are there High Z inputs greater than 10K on other inputs?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Interesting. So you like the TC Play Acoustic sound for your K&K equipped acoustic more than playing through the Red-eye? I tried a Red Eye once and I was very impressed with its presence. This was contrasted to the TC BodyRez (stand alone pedal). But that's not entirely the same comparison that you've done since the TC Play Acoustic is doing "more" as you say.

PS: I have a Touchmix 8. Are there High Z inputs greater than 10K on other inputs?

Gary, I confirm that the TouchMix 8 does have software switches for high Z. However it is not 1M ohm like the K&K prefers. I think it was 100k ohm.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

Dave - apologies for revisiting an old thread, but I wonder if you might be able to share your screen by screen settings for BodyRez from your Play Acoustic set up utilising a K&K pickup?

I'm asking this because, try as I might, I can't seem to dial in the sweet spot in my Play Acoustic for my K&K equipped OM42, but I'm convinced that there will be settings in there somewhere that will work!!

Many thanks.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Dave - apologies for revisiting an old thread, but I wonder if you might be able to share your screen by screen settings for BodyRez from your Play Acoustic set up utilising a K&K pickup?

I'm asking this because, try as I might, I can't seem to dial in the sweet spot in my Play Acoustic for my K&K equipped OM42, but I'm convinced that there will be settings in there somewhere that will work!!

Many thanks.
Andy,

Just saw this. I tried a bunch of different settings. In the end, I liked body rez 2 at 50% to 70% mix. I would try each of the basic body rez setting first, find the one you like the best, and then edit from there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification