The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Help getting this kind of sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzeoJlzkkPE

Im just getting into electric guitar and getting the tones I want has been as challenging as the actual playing. (I've been a long time acoustic player).
Anyway, I can't seem to get this kind of vocal tone that I love. It seems like my tone is always either to clean or to broken up if that makes sense. I don't know theres other stuff I'm missing like compression or what. I've got reverb and the delay set to quarter notes with long trails just soft enough to not get in the way while playing.

Oh and the gear I've got to do it with is probably important

American Special Tele

Fender Blues Junior - Boss CS2 Compressor, Demon Tube Screamer, EQ, Delay

line 6 HD-500x - I have been using a Marshall J800 with various combinations of drive, compression, amp settings, all with delay and reverb to no avail.

Any direction you can give would be much appreciated.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 02-19-2018, 03:56 PM

Good chance it’s your amp. Blues jr is very mid range heavy. You might want a more modern amp like the new PRS Sonzera or Blackstar, etc. A Strat might help too[emoji4]
Old 02-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Well you need his hands. He's playing a strat with the bridge pickup only, and we don't know what pickup that is but it sounds pretty meaty and hot, which could also be from an overdrive pedal. He's obviously playing with a lot of reverb, which sounds like another pedal. At one point he clearly steps on a pedal for more drive and sustain, but there are several amps behind him so we don't know what he's playing through. But the thing that strikes me is, he's picking pretty hard for a sharp attack, and his notes are well separated, so a lot of it really is hands.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 02-19-2018, 05:26 PM

try turning the amp up to 7 or 8, turn the guitar down to 2 for now. tweak the tone and bass knobs of the amp, then adjust the compressor and tubescreamer. then turn up the guitar until you like it. add your reverb and/or delay. this is how i set my equipment, amp first adjustment, then the others. there is almost always more tweaking to do. hope this helps.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM

On a Tele , I would use a treble bleed circuit on the neck pickup with the tone control at maximum and throw as much power into it as possible . Add reverb to liking .
Without the treble bleed circuit , I would try going to the minimum on the tone control with the neck pickup , but the treble bleed is the way to go .
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM

Yea obviously a lot is in the hands, but thats what I'm hoping to learn. All the tone shaping can start to make my head spin. I know he's using a strat and I have a tele, should I be using the neck or bridge? It has Texas special pickups which I believe are a little hotter?

One thing thats always confused me is wether how to set 1) gain on the amp 2) gain on the TS, or 3) volume on the TS. Sometimes I think I need a little more or less gain but don't know which of the 3 to start with

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 02-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Fairly new to electric but long time critical listening

Besides what others are mentioning, do not forget that video could easily have a significant amount of post recording mix processing as well.

I am hearing a fair amount reverb, delay and some compression.... could be amp, pedals or mix or any combination.
Also he could be using two, even three amps at a time

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 AM

Are you able to download any online patches from the Line 6 user forums?
I'll bet there is a Lincoln Brewster patch that would do the trick. He has a similar saturated sound.
I recently purchased a used HD500 that the previous owner had downloaded one that was nice...
Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Yea obviously a lot is in the hands, but thats what I'm hoping to learn.
Mostly it's the electronics: pickups, pedals, amp, settings.

There's nothing magical about hands but changes in hand position can have a big effect on tone (within the range set by the electronic bits). Notice he starts off playing up at the neck pickup and moves down towards the bridge for sharper, stinging sounds. Experiment with an acoustic guitar if you've got one. The difference isn't always apparent on an electric, depending how the signal is EQ'd.

First I'd try to get the sound without a compressor, if possible, using the natural compression of the amp when pushed into overdrive. A setting which clips hard when you pick hard but then drops into a cleaner tone when you pluck very gently can be very expressive. A compressor will tend to kill dynamics but that's not a hard and fast rule.

Does anyone else hear the sizzle of a treble booster pedal in the clip..?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:22 PM

Yes I can download patches. Thanks for that. I've downloaded patches before but wasn't really even sure what to search for as this is kind of uncharted territory for me. Coming from acoustic I'm more comfortable with clean tones and a little breakup. But I love that tone!

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
amp settings, lead, tone