The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 04-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Tonedevil harp guitars?

I've been coveting a harp guitar for a while now, and came across Tonedevil harp guitars, http://www.tonedevilharpguitars.com/...2-harp-guitar/. I'm especially coveting the S-19 12-string.

Does anyone have experience with Tonedevil instruments, harp guitars or otherwise? Thoughts? My current acoustic is a Taylor 456ce 12-string, but I've owned other acoustics as well as electrics over the past 35 years or so. I don't know how to play a harp guitar, yet, but I trust I can figure it out over time.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

OK, no hate, nor any love. No experiences with Tonedevil here?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Not familiar with Tonedevil Harp Guitars but you may want to contact these folks - there are a lot of resources related to harp guitars so I would imagine someone there would likely know something.

http://www.harpguitars.net/hgg/hgg.htm

Very cool that you want to learn the harp guitar. They are amazing Instruments. I understand that some of the challenge is in not only learning how to play the subs but also be able to mute them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-07-2016, 11:41 AM

The Powell brothers are now making some nice entry-level instruments.
Gregg @ Harpguitars.net sells Tonedevil HG's on his site.
They also worked at Holloway HG's for a time before Holloway morphed into the Dyer
HG company.
I've got a Holloway Style 5, that I'm quite happy with.
Stephen Bennett has 2 HG courses on Trufire for learning to play the HG.
I highly recommend both to get yourself started.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 04-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Default Tonedevil

Recently purchased from Gregg - Harpguitars- Plays great, action, setup, etc. sounds excellent. Love it. Highly recommend and Gregg as well.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:49 PM

Hi Jeffrey

Gregg Miner is affectionately referred to as the Harp Guitar Pope. He has made a study of the instrument and here is a link to the web site. I would recommend the CD “Beyond Six Strings” which is for sale on the web site. It is a nice introduction to a number of harp guitarists who perform on the CD. The site also lists a number of luthiers and lots of informative articles.
http://www.harpguitars.net/

If you are near Connecticut, you should come to the Harp Guitar Gathering this year. You will get a quick course on the harp guitar and be up to speed in no time. You will also see a lot of different types of harp guitars. Here is a link to the Gathering; they have one every year at a different location.
http://www.harpguitars.net/hgg/hgg.htm

You can also check out Steven Bennett’s web site. He has CDs and sheet music for about 100 of his songs, both 6 string and harp guitar.
http://harpguitar.com/
Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the responses and links! And I hadn't thought of the muting problem - new challenges! I see Gregg's harpguitarmusic.com site has a LA area post address, which is interesting because I'll be in Santa Barbara in a couple weeks (I live in the SF bay area), and he has a S-12 for sale - I wonder if I could have a look in person. I have "Beyond Six Strings", love it, and I got to see Muriel Anderson play a show a couple months ago including some harp guitar, which was lovely. I don't remember who made her (probably very high-end) harp guitar, but it has half-step tuning levers on the bass strings - there are videos of her playing a Tonedevil S-12, however.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Jeffrey, you may already know that Gryphon carries the ToneDevil harp guitars, but just in case... they do :-). It looks like they have one in stock. I've played one there a couple of times, and it seemed very nice for the price. I have one of the original Holloways' and I thought the ToneDevil was quite a bit nicer. I'm not a harp guitar expert, and these are certainly in the "affordable" range for a harp guitar, but I was impressed with them, again, especially for the price. Anyway, odds are good that you can try one at Gryphon, and/or ask the people there about them.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Ah, awesome, thanks for the tip, I didn't know Gryphon carried Tonedevil harp guitars. I was there for other reasons a couple months ago but didn't notice any harp guitars, and I don't see them mentioned on their web site.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Ah, awesome, thanks for the tip, I didn't know Gryphon carried Tonedevil harp guitars. I was there for other reasons a couple months ago but didn't notice any harp guitars, and I don't see them mentioned on their web site.
When I saw one, it was the display case under the cash register, for some reason. So easy to miss. I just checked their site, and now don't see one listed. But you can ask. Maybe the one I saw was used, don't know.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:54 PM

I'll chime in this coming Wednesday/Thursday when the eagle (Tonedevil S-12) lands.

I've been eyeing Tonedevil for a while. I'm impressed with the price relative to other harp guitar options (even Chinese-made Holloways are at least listing for $2300-$3000 right now).

I almost went for an Emerald Synergy harp, but the Tonedevil had the scale-length and nut-width I wanted...plus a much larger body for undoubtedly better tone. There are a handful of YouTube videos of them sounding beautiful, and I've seen several close-ups boasting nice quality. They have unfilled/open grain finishes on them, which I don't mind. Looks like all-around fantastic workmanship. All that was enough to rope me in. Looking forward to the challenge of playing it.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:54 PM

The Gregg Miner moniker "The Harp Guitar Pope " has been laid to rest a while back.
(So don't call him that....lol)

If you do try and hook up with Gregg, you might get a tour of the Miner Music Museum. ..
Haven't seen it in person, but have seen video. Very impressive !!!

Gregg has a wealth of information to work through on his site.
Also the store is the place to go for new sub strings....
Won't find them at Guitar Center !! lol

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 04-08-2016, 02:56 PM

Double post

Michael Hedges
Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Right, I haven't thought about where to source bass strings, though I reckon they will last a very long time.

An S-12 purchaser! Yes, please do chime in when you get it, would love to hear your opinion on it. I don't care so much about the shine and polish, but I do care a lot about playability and action, frets, nut, intonation, staying in tune, etc.

They list a number of other models on their web site, but those are probably all hen's teeth or even one-off, and probably nearly everything they make is an S-12, so that's what I would buy.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I don't care so much about the shine and polish, but I do care a lot about playability and action, frets, nut, intonation, staying in tune, etc.
Exactly.

I expect good things. I'll post Wednesday nightish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar