The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 AM

Don't we all see the world from our own perspective?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc View Post
Don't we all see the world from our own perspective?
I think we all start there, but not everyone ends there. I have no idea what the true story is behind the motivations for this young lad to fly on this trip with his father to raise money for Pakistanis. I don't feel the need to judge them based on my own perspective.

max
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
I think we all start there, but not everyone ends there. I have no idea what the true story is behind the motivations for this young lad to fly on this trip with his father to raise money for Pakistanis. I don't feel the need to judge them based on my own perspective.

max
I fully agree with you. Being of Pakistani descent, they could be Parsi's who practice doing good deeds for their community. I've never done a big fund raising effort that succeeded in raising so much money, so I have to applaud them on that basis.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I agree with Max. I feel like a whole lot of the outrage on these topics is generated by a fundamental underlying question that boils underneath: "Who owns the children?" In each of us the answer lies somewhere along the continuum:

Family - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Village

Best I can tell, the roots of the "controversy" are here: As the bulk of society moves away from our national roots as a pioneering/agricultural culture and towards an urban culture, the right-hand end of the continuum becomes more popular. Interestingly, the culture at the founding of the nation was far to the left of the above continuum, to the point where it was considered nosy to intrude into others' choices in this realm.

By contrast, in the modern urban culture it appears to be assumed that we all should share certain uniform values in this realm and anyone who deviates from those uniform values does so for an ulterior motive or because he is incompetent. To those at that end of the continuum, it is important for the village to enforce those values upon parents.

That doesn't appear very open-minded or freedom-minded to me.

As a person who grew up in a much less urban culture than is currently popular and as someone who flew an airplane before he drove a car, I can understand the possible motives of both the young man and the father. I don't feel a need to make their choices for them. To me, it is enough to mourn the family's loss.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
... To me, it is enough to mourn the family's loss.

Bob
Well said, Bob. And that is also where I am.

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Guest 213

Wow, so you have absolutely no evidence that the son was forced against his will to make the trip, yet you land on this judgment?

Just wow...

I can't even begin to imagine how this is your reaction to a story of such a tragic accident...
Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Im with Bob Womack on this one.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
Im with Bob Womack on this one.
Yes, Bob summed it up better than I could.
max
Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
Quite true, but they still need parental consent to do so,

H
Aaaaaand? This kid obviously had parental consent.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 AM

Obviously, most responses here disagree with my viewpoint,

I guess I see something quite selfish in putting oneself and others at unnecessary risk, just for the need to ' do what you want to do ' not taking cost and safety of others into consideration, this would include, sailing around the world solo, climbing dangerous mountains, flying in airplanes in unknown areas of the world, there are probably a few other activities that can be added to this list.

Putting yourself and others in unnecessary danger for your own aim and cause is quite selfish and inconsiderate actually,

H
Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Obviously, most responses here disagree with my viewpoint,

I guess I see something quite selfish in putting oneself and others at unnecessary risk, just for the need to ' do what you want to do ' not taking cost and safety of others into consideration, this would include, sailing around the world solo, climbing dangerous mountains, flying in airplanes in unknown areas of the world, there are probably a few other activities that can be added to this list.

Putting yourself and others in unnecessary danger for your own aim and cause is quite selfish and inconsiderate actually,

H
In that case, I guess all the "good" parents keep their children locked up at home. No driving learner's permit. No family vacations that require any type of vehicular/air/sea travel. No rides at amusement parks, etc. Many people die doing all those things. Much better to sit at home and play charades.

As SongWriterFan pointed out earlier, that fact that we are alive at all necessitates that we are exposed to danger and will all one day die. I understand what you're saying--you consider certain activities "reckless," but apparently your threshold for "recklessness" is lower than most people's.

Here's what I'd consider reckless: jumping off a cliff in a wing suit with your child strapped to you so you can make a YouTube video of it and get famous.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
In that case, I guess all the "good" parents keep their children locked up at home. No driving learner's permit. No family vacations that require any type of vehicular/air/sea travel. No rides at amusement parks, etc. Many people die doing all those things. Much better to sit at home and play charades.

As SongWriterFan pointed out earlier, that fact that we are alive at all necessitates that we are exposed to danger and will all one day die. I understand what you're saying--you consider certain activities "reckless," but apparently your threshold for "recklessness" is lower than most people's.

Here's what I'd consider reckless: jumping off a cliff in a wing suit with your child strapped to you so you can make a YouTube video of it and get famous.
Some points well taken GraceGuitar, although you don't go on vacations or ' have fun ' to gain notoriety or publicity,

Other than that, I can definitely agree with everything you have said,

H

And just another note, according to the articles, the kid got his license to fly over open water in June of this year, its like right afterwards, they went on this trip around the world ? That's like getting your driver's learner permit and then take out on a cross country ride in your car.

Not that smart

Last edited by harmonics101; 07-24-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:

H
Do you know something we don't know? This was the father's idea? And the son was at the controls over open water?
Can you provide the link that reflects that contention? Or are you just assuming?

max
Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Some points well taken GraceGuitar, although you don't go on vacations or ' have fun ' to gain notoriety or publicity,
Some YouTube family vloggers do
Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
Do you know something we don't know? This was the father's idea?
max
Actually, it was the father's idea, if you read some of the news, apparently, the father always had a dream about building schools in Pakistan, whenever you summon the need for search and rescue teams, you are always endangering other peoples' lives when something goes wrong,

H

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic