The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM

Default Wings Over America

Sunday I just got around to watching a "Wings Over America" concert I had previously recorded. (Is Macca the most talented songwriter/musician ever)?

A couple of things I noticed. About halfway through, a trio of them (Denny Laine, Jimmy McCullough, and Paul) sat down for an acoustic set. All of them were playing Ovations! Horror of horrors! And they sounded good!

Secondly, the film had a recorded date of 1980. However, Jimmy McCullough (RIP) passed away in September of 1979 at the age of 26 of a heroin overdose. (Very ironic, since he wrote the lyrics and sang "Medicine Jar" on the "Venus and Mars" album).

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this super-talented bunch of guys. If you see it on the Velocity channel, take a look, even though it's way old.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM

wings over America was filmed during the summer of 1976 (bicentennial) (note: in the video in the song "let em in", they are in revolutionary costumes.)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 AM

'Wings Over America' has one of my absolute favorite acoustic sets - I believe it's the third side of the LP. It has two of my favorite acoustic recordings, the Wings version of 'I've Just Seen a Face' and 'Picasso's Last Words' - I also love 'Richard Cory' on there with Denny singing.

I think the reason the Ovations sound so good on the record is because they're recorded electrically. Ovations aren't half bad guitars when you plug them in. I think the plastic backing robs the guitars of having any potentially good natural sound, because you can't get the sound you'd get out of a solid wood guitar... but, their electrics aren't bad.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
(Is Macca the most talented songwriter/musician ever)?

He's certainly in the highest tier of them, a place I reserve for the likes of him, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and Lou Reed to name a few.

Also - the whole concert film was remastered and rereleased on Bluray this year. Very worth taking a look at.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Whoa--never knew there was a movie. 'Bout wore out my vinyl back when it was a new release--I think I was in the ninth grade. Will have to dig this up again and be transported through time as only music can do!
1950's Hoyer Meisterklasse
2003 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist
2013 Haxton Special (Nick Lucas model)
2019 Fairbanks Nick Lucas
a bunch of other stuff I really ought to sell...
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 AM

In 76, plugged-in Ovations were THE acoustic electric to use.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Mike nailed it.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
In 76, plugged-in Ovations were THE acoustic electric to use.
Agreed. I remember that tour… great show.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 AM

Default I agree that Mike nailed it but...

Ovation was my stage guitar up until I stopped playing for a while in '95. Still one of the best sounding guitars plugged in unless you're trying to appeal to a bunch of woodheads like us. Look at all who played them back in the day with Al Dimeola playing them exclusively up until recently. I sold my shallow body Custom Balladeer just last year or so. I loved that guitar but it was not the best unplugged nor was it appealing compared to the Yamaha I am about to sell.
2011 Taylor GAce 12 fret SLTD
K&K Pure Pre-amp
Fishman Aura Acoustic Imaging Blender D.I.
Peavey Ecoustic E-110 Acoustic Amplifier w/effects control pedal/looper
Old 07-22-2014, 12:35 PM

It's funny - every once in a while I'll be at an open mic where someone will show up with an Ovation and I'm amazed at how little depth their plugged-in sound really has. Even cheap a/e's with bad piezo quack sound better overall.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I think a lot of music from that era emphasized sounding good over getting authentic acoustic tones. Lots of effects pedals and stuff. To my ears Ovations always sounded good electrified, though not like a mic'd D18.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Paul Mc Cartney after 1970 is a severe downwards slope.I dont know if its the production quality or the loss of what ever was in him 1960-70..or just lack of Beatles and how they modified his songs.They were a great group..and not the same apart.
Anyway..I like this one a lot.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
Paul Mc Cartney after 1970 is a severe downwards slope.I dont know if its the production quality or the loss of what ever was in him 1960-70..or just lack of Beatles and how they modified his songs.They were a great group..and not the same apart.
Anyway..I like this one a lot.
Hmm... I'd really disagree. Band on the Run, Venus and Mars, London Town, McCartney II, Tug of War, Pipes of Peace, Flowers in the Dirt, Run Devil Run, Chaos & Creation, and more recently, NEW have all been exceptional albums. (I believe I listed them chronologically, that was off the top of my head post-1970 - big fan) I think you're a minority, and perhaps one of the only people, who would classify him as in a 'severe downward slope' post 1970. Most of the works I just listed were critically acclaimed, and his fans loved them. Even the deeper tracks on stuff like 'Run Devil Run' and 'Flowers in the Dirt' are exceptionally crafted. I wouldn't throw away his solo career - he had the most vast career out of the four, and produced the most hits by far. Oh, and don't forget some great work as 'The Fireman' - Electric Arguments was a cool album.

(Though I do adore George's solo career as well - I'd even go as far to say that 'All Things Must Pass' is the quintessential solo-Beatle record.)

Recently, I've spent a lot of time with Run Devil Run. An exceptional album that was the product of a nostalgic Paul in mourning for Linda. It's almost incredibly autobiographical, just him and a killer backing band playing the songs he loved as a kid. (Killer backing band - I believe it even included members of Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, and some other bands.) Paul's 'All Shook Up' is probably one the coolest rock tracks of all time - taking an Elvis song and elevating to a whole new level.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar

Last edited by RiversRubin; 07-23-2014 at 11:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic