The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 PM

I have an LS6 and it is every bit as good as the FG730. It's a different guitar with a different voice though. I thinks it's more balanced than the FG730. You'll definitely have more mid presence with the LS6. The bass is less pronounced but compliments the overall sound of the guitar perfectly to my ears. Mine handles strumming fine, but I'm not a real heavy strummer. The body is deeper than most concert/OM guitars which helps give the guitar a rich, round sound. I think if Yamaha would make it easier to find and play an LS6 they would sell a bunch of them. I think it's a real missed opportunity by Yamaha.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:32 AM

I own a Yamaha dreadnought FG 700MS, which I love, and a folk FS720, which I increasingly dislike. Although the specifications for the nut and frets are the same, I find the small string space on the FS720 to be incredibly annoying, so much so that after 6 months I want to sell it. Does anyone else have this issue or am I being precious about the FS720?
Yamaha FG700MS
Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM

A friend brought his recently purchased LS6 for me to try. Lovely guitar and less 'forward' tonally than the LL6. They are hard to find-he had to wait 2 weeks for his because Yamaha UK had none, and it had to be imported from Yamaha France.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

I recently purchased an LS6 sunburst and am overall very pleased with it, especially the tone. However, despite being advertised as having a 1.75" nut, it actually measures 1 11/16". Maybe not a big deal, but I thought it was worth mentioning...http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=288829
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-28-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 AM

I am a big Yamaha fan.

I owned several FG700 (FG700S, FG730S, FG735S & FG750S) Series and several L (LL6, LL16, LS6 & LS16) Series Yamahas over the years. I also played several FS700 Series over the years.

The LS6 is my favorite of all of them. It is an OM sized guitar with a slightly deeper body than a traditional OM. That gives it a little better projection and deeper bass than many OM's. It also makes them hold up to heavy strumming better than most traditional OM's. The multiple pieced neck, the L Series neck block and Engelmann spruce top make it superior to the FS700 Series in my opinion. They have better bass response, stronger sustain and are more responsive than the 700's. The LS6 has an ebony fretboard & bridge along with binding on the neck & headstock. Finally, it comes with a nice case. If you shop around you should be able to find them new between $400 & $450. The LS6, LL6 and LJ6 represent Yamaha's best value as far as I am concerned.

I bought a used, sunburst LS6 for $340 a few months ago. It was in perfect condition. I replaced the stock saddle with bone and could not be happier with it. FYI: I really like Elixir 80/20 Nanowebs on it.

I like the LS16 just as much - but believe the LS6 sounds just as good for $250 less.

Good luck!

Last edited by edman; 03-28-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM

I just happened to play the FG730 and LL16 thee othr day. In fact they were on the wall beside each other. Hands down the Fg730 sounded better with fingers and a pick than the LL16. Then I tried the sunburst colors of the FG730 and it wasn't there. I ask the owner what the deal was with that one FG730 sounding better. He said there is always diffenernces with each but not usually that much. He thinks that the guy who made that got lucky at home the night before and a great day at work the next.

I was impressed enough with Yamaha that my next purchase will be one
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I have both the LS6 and the FG730s. The LS6 just arrived last night...need to post pictures! They are both tobacco burst, i give a slight edge to the LS6 i. The looks dept, they both play very well. Given my limited experience with the LS6, i will reserve judgement on which plays better, but i think the overall refinement and quality of the LS6 is exceptional. Great case too. I bought mine off ebay through the music center in Wisconsin, great price, free shipping. I got mine in 2 days with their standard shipping... Live in NYS. Buy one you wont regret it!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
I have both the LS6 and the FG730s. The LS6 just arrived last night...need to post pictures! They are both tobacco burst, i give a slight edge to the LS6 i. The looks dept, they both play very well. Given my limited experience with the LS6, i will reserve judgement on which plays better, but i think the overall refinement and quality of the LS6 is exceptional. Great case too. I bought mine off ebay through the music center in Wisconsin, great price, free shipping. I got mine in 2 days with their standard shipping... Live in NYS. Buy one you wont regret it!
Any chance you can take a picture of them standing side by side so I can see the size difference?
Is the LS6 considered to be a 000 size?
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Here they are side by side. I don't think the LS6 gives up anything on the FG. In fact I like it better, it is clearer and rings like a bell. Very nice me thinks!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Aargh pic didn't post, I will try again.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Hope this works. LS6 is on the left. Sorry about the fingerprints on the FG!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks for posting the picture, both beautiful guitars.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

I just got a FG700SDS(Sandburst) last night. Wow, what a great cheap guitar! Couldn't be happier with it. I have much more expensive and better but there is something so satisfying about having a guitar you don't mind beating on and it still sounds great!
Eastman AC412
Alvarez AP70
Yamaha LS16R A.R.E.

Gone:
Martin 000MMV
Martin MMV x2
Yamaha FG700S
Guild GAD30 Padauk
Want a bunch more...
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
I am a big Yamaha fan.

I owned several FG700 (FG700S, FG730S, FG735S & FG750S) Series and several L (LL6, LL16, LS6 & LS16) Series Yamahas over the years. I also played several FS700 Series over the years.

The LS6 is my favorite of all of them. It is an OM sized guitar with a slightly deeper body than a traditional OM. That gives it a little better projection and deeper bass than many OM's. It also makes them hold up to heavy strumming better than most traditional OM's. The multiple pieced neck, the L Series neck block and Engelmann spruce top make it superior to the FS700 Series in my opinion. They have better bass response, stronger sustain and are more responsive than the 700's. The LS6 has an ebony fretboard & bridge along with binding on the neck & headstock. Finally, it comes with a nice case. If you shop around you should be able to find them new between $400 & $450. The LS6, LL6 and LJ6 represent Yamaha's best value as far as I am concerned.

I bought a used, sunburst LS6 for $340 a few months ago. It was in perfect condition. I replaced the stock saddle with bone and could not be happier with it. FYI: I really like Elixir 80/20 Nanowebs on it.

I like the LS16 just as much - but believe the LS6 sounds just as good for $250 less.

Good luck!
Like you I have also owned several L-series; LL6/16/26. In all honesty I preferred the 6 over the others which really didn't sound much different, and certainly no 'better'-although that is, of course, subjective. I also use your preferred strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion