The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
See post above.
The serious Hippies that wanted to change the world were not lazy at all. In fact they were quite industrious. You can make the argument that the billion dollar Organic farming industry would not exist were it not for the Hippies.

Wind energy, Solar energy, clean water, clean air a philosophy of conservation and not wasting what we were given, are a direct influence of the Hippies...sort of like the Amish in a way. They made their own clothes and crafts and sold them to have what little money they needed. Sounds like good old American self reliance to me.

They rejected the materialism of society and tried to live without doing harm to the environment and be stewards of the earth.
The drugs and sex get all of the attention and to this day I think that some reject clean energy and environmentalism because it is associated w/ the Hippie movement.
...and it's lame. We still hear "tree-hugging hippie" bandied about by some people in such a derogatory way , and only in a derogatory way. I guess it makes sense that mean-spirited ,environment-hating people might feel that way . Hating nature amounts to hating America ; why do they hate America ?

Last edited by M19; 07-23-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: politics in quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
See post above.
The serious Hippies that wanted to change the world were not lazy at all. In fact they were quite industrious. You can make the argument that the billion dollar Organic farming industry would not exist were it not for the Hippies.

Wind energy, Solar energy, clean water, clean air a philosophy of conservation and not wasting what we were given, are a direct influence of the Hippies...sort of like the Amish in a way. They made their own clothes and crafts and sold them to have what little money they needed. Sounds like good old American self reliance to me.

They rejected the materialism of society and tried to live without doing harm to the environment and be stewards of the earth.
The drugs and sex get all of the attention and to this day I think that some reject clean energy and environmentalism because it is associated w/ the Hippie movement.
I think you're leaving a few things out. The commune hippies were often anarchists. Their desire to form communes was in many instances born more of a spirit of non conformity to society and the law than in seeking spiritual or other enlightenment. They wanted to live in remote places where they could grow and use illegal drugs. And when they did produce legal marketable items, they howled in protest when the IRS arrived. They had a naive idea that they should be able to produce and market goods, use existing roads and infrastructure to bring them to market. And not pay ANY taxes. Because they didn't work for "the man".

Last edited by M19; 07-23-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: politics original and in quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I think you're leaving a few things out. The commune hippies were often anarchists. Their desire to form communes was in many instances born more of a spirit of non conformity to society and the law than in seeking spiritual or other enlightenment. They wanted to live in remote places where they could grow and use illegal drugs. And when they did produce legal marketable items, they howled in protest when the IRS arrived. They had a naive idea that they should be able to produce and market goods, use existing roads and infrastructure to bring them to market. And not pay ANY taxes. Because they didn't work for "the man".
They wern't perfect and they were definently naive. It is ironic that you could also describing a certain rancher that a certain "news" organization made a hero out of when he "stood up" to the "jack booted Gov't thugs" that came to collect 21 years worth of grazing fees that he refused to pay for grazing his cattle on Gov't land.

As far as growing and using illegal dope, you could be describing the hard working Scotch Irish settlers that made their own illegal corn whisky in a still.
If whiskey is legal I can't see why dope isn't. The Hippies had the same question.

Last edited by M19; 07-23-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Politics, original and in quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
They wern't perfect and they were definently naive. It is ironic that you could also describing a certain rancher that a certain "news" organization made a hero out of when he "stood up" to the "jack booted Gov't thugs" that came to collect 21 years worth of grazing fees that he refused to pay for grazing his cattle on Gov't land.

As far as growing and using illegal dope, you could be describing the hard working Scotch Irish settlers that made their own illegal corn whisky in a still.
If whiskey is legal I can't see why dope isn't. The Hippies had the same question.
Just for the record. I wasn't a fan of that certain Rancher.

Last edited by M19; 07-23-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Politics in quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Just for the record. I wasn't a fan of that certain Rancher.
I'm glad to hear that.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

THis thread is closed. Too much political discussion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic