The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2017, 07:43 PM

Default How to handle phase correlation with dual source internal pickup?

I know there's generally a phase inversion switch on most internal or external preamp, but how do you manage phase correlation if the phase of the two signals is let's say slightly decorrelated?
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

There are software solutions and hardware solutions, neither of which can fit in your guitar and must be placed elsewhere in the signal chain.

Here's a hardware solution:

http://www.littlelabs.com/ibp.html
Old 10-24-2017, 02:29 AM

It depends on which dual source you have in mind - if it include a sound hole pickup, some of them have a phase inversion switch built in....

(I have a K&K Pure Mini / DiMarzio Black Angel dual source combo, and the Black Angel has such a switch).
Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 AM

I'm gonna add my questions here, which may be a re-statement of the OP's question...

I have a phase control button on my pickup, a B-Band Crescent II
There is also a phase control button on my amp, a Fishman Loudbox Artist.
Both are designed as an anti-feedback control.

Two devices with a button that do the same thing, from the department of redundancy department.

Is there a primary go-to? In other words, if I need to use the phase control, is the amp or the pickup button preferred?

-and-

What happens if I activate it on both devices? Hmmm...

Real world experience on my part is sadly lacking. I just bought the amp a little over a week ago, and this particular guitar has never been plugged in before. So far, I haven't used either in a gigging environment...just my living room where the low volumes haven't triggered any troublesome feedback issues.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM

Just push the buttons till it sounds good..ha
Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
I'm gonna add my questions here, which may be a re-statement of the OP's question...

I have a phase control button on my pickup, a B-Band Crescent II
There is also a phase control button on my amp, a Fishman Loudbox Artist.
Both are designed as an anti-feedback control.

Two devices with a button that do the same thing, from the department of redundancy department.

Is there a primary go-to? In other words, if I need to use the phase control, is the amp or the pickup button preferred?

-and-

What happens if I activate it on both devices? Hmmm...

Real world experience on my part is sadly lacking. I just bought the amp a little over a week ago, and this particular guitar has never been plugged in before. So far, I haven't used either in a gigging environment...just my living room where the low volumes haven't triggered any troublesome feedback issues.
Whether the two "polarity reverse" switches do exactly the same thing, or something different, depends on what polarities are being reversed. If both are reversing the polarity between the two source pickups then they are the same/redundant. If one switch is reversing the polarity between the two source pickups (before blending) and the other switch is reversing the polarity of the line out/DI out/speaker output then the two switches are doing different things and are not redundant.

As an example, the Pendulum SPS-1 has two polarity reverse switches following the second example above. The first affects the relative polarity between the two sources before blending and the second switch reverses the polarity of the line and monitor outputs.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Totally agree......
Old 10-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I think I'm gonna just go with this for now...

Thanks for the more technical answers, too. I used to be a techno-head, always wondering how and why things worked and, much to my family's humorous consternation, would take things apart to find out...even things that didn't need taken apart.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification