The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Schatten Resonator Pickup

Has anyone used this Schatten resonator pickup? I recently acquired an old Regal resonator mandolin and am considering installing a pickup. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Has anyone used this Schatten resonator pickup? I recently acquired an old Regal resonator mandolin and am considering installing a pickup. Thanks!
I have the RG-03M system in my Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature round neck. I installed it myself and it was fairly simple to do.

The Schatten pickups are very good and the belt-clip preamp works fine. You can get a pretty broad sound with the piezo/mic combination. I like it for the times I plug in...
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 AM

I bought a clip on small condenser mic ( APEX 565) that has a thin gooseneck for about US$80.00.

i clip it into a hubcap hole at the edge of the dobro cover and i adjust the mic a few inches above the cone close to the bridge.

I run that into a channel strip style preamp with eq and I can dial in a tone virtually identical to what I hear... Very ooen warm yet airy... Just like you expect from an externally miked up rig

Non obtrusive to play and the mic also clips on other instruments.

The Schatten system looks incomplete to me unless that mini pre has eq capability I dont see on the pic.

I would say the mic pre + eq functionality is the most important part of the system. I did use a boss geq7 at one point but it was a bit too crude to dial in to my satisfaction.

I use a headway edb2 which is a very Neve like smooth silky preamp with an incredibly useful eq section... but for a fraction of the price of that I could have got a used ART channel strip which would have probably worked satisfactory..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification