The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 AM

Default Anyone know what this guitar is? "Ariel"

Hello!

I was recently handed down this instrument from my great-uncle after he moved out of the country, and I would like to know more about it.
I did some googlin' (in-depth, I know) and I found a person wondering about the same type of guitar here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=309759

The guitar has a tag inside that says "Ariel Guitars - Made in Japan". I apologize for the image-heavy post!

I am debating if it is worth fixing it up and taking it to college with me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:13 AM

Don`t know anything about your guitar but it might be fun to put a decent set of tuners (try and find replacements that fit existing holes-always looks neater in the long run) on it and maybe have a set-up done with a new bone nut, saddle and bridge pins, throw on some new strings. Might be OK?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 05-16-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 AM

No real info, but it appears to be a 1960's MIJ acoustic.
Many were made inexpensively, but well.
You will find that there were hundreds of names, and probably two thirds of those names have been "orphaned".

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 05-16-2014, 03:58 PM

I was doing a little research and came across this post:

http://www.guitarsite.com/database/G...ages/430.shtml

someone posted at this link saying the company changed their name to Aria, and guitars with that name that have a model number and no serial number are all guitars manufactured before 1974. Hope this helps you out some.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Default Aria vs Ariel

Aria started out as "Arai and Co." in the 50's when Shiro Arai founded the company. The only change that I'm aware of is the change to "Aria" which was easier for the western ear and had a logical musical connection.

I don't think they ever manufactured under the name "Ariel" but there were countless mid level guitars made in Japan in that time frame by an equally countless number of companies under whatever name they could get a contract for.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Sure, Ariel has been around for quite some time, making inexpensive copies of various "tried and true" designs, both electric and acoustic. I always got them confused with Aria!

It is certainly worth cleaning up and re-stringing... I'd suggest using some 0000 steel wool and lightly (!) buffing both the fret board and the fret wire, always going with the grain of the wood on the fretboard so as not to leave scratch marks...

Adjust the truss rod (if you don't know how, google it! It isn't rocket science...) and throw a new set of strings on it, and you're good to go! The tuning machines may be a little funky, but if they work, they are good enough to begin with... you can always find a used set of tuning machines for not much $$...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 PM

Thank you very much everyone! I'll see if I can fix it up myself...I've never really done any work but I will carefully research before I try anything.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:49 AM

Lots of unanswered questions to my mind. Was this a guitar your relative actively played? Whats the "action" like? (IE: Height of strings off of neck at 12th fret). Is the neck straight? Is the top bowed? Any cracks?
Alot of old acoustics that get found in closets after decades of non use are damaged to the point that repair far exceeds value. But sometimes they are OK too. If you aren't experienced with guitars, you should have someone who is have a look at it before you spend any $ on it.
I used to go to estate auctions. And I have seen people bid lots of $ on guitars that IMO were total unplayable junk.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 AM

I found this ad for an Ariel claiming it was made by "the great makers Matsumoto".

http://vintagemartinguitar.net/vinta...strings-2/4437

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 05-17-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
I found this ad for an Ariel claiming it was made by "the great makers Matsumoto".

http://vintagemartinguitar.net/vinta...strings-2/4437
OMG, Unbelievable! That's Hattori Hanzo's brother in law. Greatness runs in the family!
Old 04-18-2015, 11:44 PM

I have an Ariel guitar. The label says Ariel Model TG006R by Takamine. It's a 1970's nylon-stringed classical guitar. The “R” stands for rosewood. This a rosewood version, made in Japan.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:52 PM

How in God's name did you find a thread that's 11 months old, and why did you reopen it?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 04-22-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
How in God's name did you find a thread that's 11 months old, and why did you reopen it?
Easy they were probably searching the Internet for information on their recent acquisition and found their way to the AGF. Or used the search function which is sometimes the advice given for new members with questions.

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 04-22-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
why did you reopen it?
To add relevant information on the subject?

Is that bad?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
To add relevant information on the subject?

Is that bad?
Yes!!! it is horrible, heinous and horrific. Don't ever do that again! The thread police are on their way to arrest you and toss you in the hoosegow!

Seriously - there doesn't seem to be a correct way to deal with this. Many people will rail against the re-opening of zombie threads. Others rail against people starting new threads on previously disussed topics. And i would bet that if you did a Venn diagram, you would find a significant overlap between those two groups. About the only thing that is safe around here sometimes is just not posting.

Personally, I'm good with either approach. I just want to talk about guitars.

My advice is post what you want and if others don't want to play, they don't have to. Let them stew in their own juices.

I do find it interesting that there seems to be a spate of threads and interest about Ariel guitars lately. I hadn't heard of them before. I'm now curious what they are like.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ariel, ariel guitar