The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Default Disappointment

So I ordered a used guitar from gc. Called them prior to the order and asked them what kind of shape the guitar was in. It was listed as excellent. They told me it was in excellent shape and that excellent is their top rating on used guitars. No issues. When it arrived I find a crack in the top I realize I have 14 days to return it but man why couldn't they have been honest with me. I went Back through the pictures they had posted and if you zoom in you can see a little be where the crack is but you cannot tell it's a crack in the photos. Sad and dissappointed really liked this guitar. And before anyone beats me up over not playing it before I bought it this was not an option as the guitar was 3000 miles from where I am. Guess I just would have liked some honesty. Lesson learned I guess.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:47 AM

I'd just send it back, get my refund and then talk to the liars manager and unload on that guy.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

No one that "unloads" on a long distance buyer of a guitar that comes with a good return policy is worth listening to. Sorry for your disappointment.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM

One thing i don't know is do I have to send it back to that store or can I take it to any guitar center. Anyone know?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Is it possible?

Not to defend Guitar Centre, but is it possible that the crack expanded during shipping? Could it have been so fine that they didn't notice it but when it hit the cold climate for an extended time, it expanded making it more visible? Just a possibility, one explanation.

NewStrings

Martin D-18 Custom
Jason Romero banjo
Kronbauer TDK
Larrivee LV-03RE
Taylor 614ce
Gibson J-45 Standard
Muth “F” style mandolin
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ TV Jones/Seymore Duncan p/u
Taylor 810ce
Gibson ES Les Paul Premier Goldtop
National Estralita Deluxe Resonator
and many more
Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar occurrence a few years. Went into my local GC, couldn't find what I was looking for but they had one in Excellent condition, used, on their site. So they placed the order for me on the spot. The next day I got a call from the GC the guitar was ordered from, saying that it was not in good shape at all and that they couldn't in all good conscience send it to me. So I guess I lucked out that they were honest about it, but still frustrating. I've heard many stories of GC "mislabeling" the condition of used guitars on their site.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3woodengulls View Post
One thing i don't know is do I have to send it back to that store or can I take it to any guitar center. Anyone know?
They should let you. When ordering guitars/amps from GC, especially used, always have them shipped to the store so you can inspect them there. Always.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I ordered a used guitar from a GC in California. The condition sucked, I returned it the GC in Virginia. No problem.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You can return online purchases to you local Guitar Center. If it's because of their error, my store gladly refunds the shipping cost also.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM

I've had some great results and some not so good results ordering used from GC. They have a lot of stores with a lot of employees with varying degrees of knowledge and experience. Sometimes their estimate of condition is way off.

The good thing is a return to the local store has always been easy for me, so I see it as a very low-risk gamble.

But isn't it a 45-day return window? Unless it's a vintage instrument which is just a couple of days.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You can walk it in to any guitar center for a refund...absolutely. In fact....show them the crack...the 'excellent' rating, and demand that they further refund your shipping....which they likely will do for you under these circumstances.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:54 PM

What is considered vintage? This is a late 90's model Martin
Old 03-08-2018, 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=3woodengulls;5662715]One thing i don't know is do I have to send it back to that store or can I take it to any guitar center. Anyone know?[/QUOTE

I wouldn't ship it back even if that is an option. Walk it in to the closest one. No questions ask. The guy wasn't even going to open the case on the one I brought back. I insisted he do so. FYI......There will a small surcharge left on your guitar center card if you went that route. Be sure and follow up if so and they will remove it from the card.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
What is considered vintage? This is a late 90's model Martin
I wouldn't think of late '90s as vintage, but how did they list it for sale? If they listed it as "Vintage Martin 1997 D-28" (or whatever model and year), then you probably need to return it ASAP. Look on the invoice if you don't remember.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM

It was not listed as vintage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion