The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Default DPA 4099G vs internal mic?

Hello. My current rig blends a UST and a DPA 4099G. I find the sound of the 4099G to be good when well placed, however it is a constant struggle to keep it in place. It's to the point where maybe it's more trouble then it's worth. So - what is the likelihood of getting an internal mic that sounds as good? Or, is there a kit or something that would retrofit the 4099G to internal?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

Last edited by Wengr; 10-21-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I had the same experience with the little DPA mic. Getting it to sound good is a little too fussy for me. I sold it on eBay and I wound up with an LR Baggs Anthem SL system which combines an internal mic with a UST. It's simple to use and gives very nice and very consistent results. Plug and play. I'd recommend it to a friend.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:04 PM

I can get it to sound good - for about five minutes. Less if I move at all. Then it pops off and falls to the floor. I'll check out the Anthem - thanks.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

An internal mic can assist in a dual source system, although it requires robust eq tools to dial it in with the other source. Fortunately, that usually only needs to be done once, with only minor subsequent adjustments.

A better overall solution is to use an external condenser mic on a mic stand, if you play in a stationary position. A good mic placed there will need much less eq and will tend to sound and behave better.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post

A better overall solution is to use an external condenser mic on a mic stand, if you play in a stationary position. A good mic placed there will need much less eq and will tend to sound and behave better.
I used to use a mic on a stand (although it was dynamic), before I switched to the clamp mount DPA. I moved away from it because of the volume before feedback ratio, and volume fluctuations as I move about.
Maybe a different stand mic would be more appropriate? Would a condenser be much better in those regards over my Heil dynamic?

My rig at present is a UST, and the 4099G blended and EQ'd with a Dtar Solstice and Equinox. It sounds good Imo, but I'm tired of taping the the mic clip to my Franklin with blue masking tape.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I agree that a mic in front of the guitar on a stand will sound better than a mic that is too close to the guitar or is inside the guitar.

Although I was skeptical when my guitar tech recommended it, I much prefer using the Anthem SL over a clip-on mic or mic on a stand. It's resistant to feedback so you can get good monitor levels. The onboard preamp in the end pin jack blends the two sources and gives you a mono output that needs little or no eq to sound natural and acoustic. The mic picks up the mids and highs and the under saddle PU handles only low mids and bass. There's a small set screw for tweaking the blend and you set it one time and then forget it.

I've tested The Anthem SL playing out in a few rooms. Natural sound and never a feedback problem. Customer response has been overwhelmingly positive so far. FWIW I think it's a keeper.

Acoustic guitars make such beautiful sounds. Unfortunately there is no perfect way to amplify them. (Heck it's hard to get them to sound right in even in a fully equipped recording studio with mics costing thousands of dollars.) I've seen Ramblin' Jack Elliott unplug his guitar and walk around the audience playing to people right where they sit. He said he does it so they can hear what a guitar really sounds like.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 10-21-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I had high hopes for the DPA, but the noise floor and volume before feedback were both unacceptable and made it unusable in my context.

I love the Anthem - is Baggs would make it with an SBT instead of a UST it would be a home run, IMO.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 10-22-2017, 02:43 AM

I once had the DPA4099 and then switched to the DPA4061 as an internal mic.

To sum it up I think the DPA4099 is not worth the hassle in my opinion. The DPA4061 delivers a similar sound quality and is less prone to feedback. I would add a second source to both mics.

If you keep using the 4099 you can at least improve the holder - the standard ones from DPA are just scrap. I once designed and 3d-printed a custom holder which is attached at the strap button on the neck heel.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ht=4099+holder

With this solution you do at least have a rigid connection to your guitar.

However if you have a second source you will never find an elegant way to bring together the cables of the both sources. At least if you do not want to drill the sides of the guitar at the upper bout. Thatīs why I had a cable besides the fingerboard.

Now I have Dazzos and DPA4061 which is a much more convenient solution and offers same sound quality.

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)

Last edited by Schau_ins_Regal; 10-22-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:26 AM

Check out the miniflex 2 mic system. I have the model 4 wired in stereo with a UST and am very pleased with the results. To my ears it is more natural sounding than the anthem, although it does require some eq work and a bit of play to get it in the "sweet spot." Once you find the spot though it stays in place very well.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 AM

Ok many thanks for all the replies. I have investigated as far as possible online and so far my opinion is:
Anthem - My main concern is how much quality will be lost when moving a mic from outside to inside the guitar. I have to believe that having the mic placement dictated by design can only exacerbate the issue. Plus my preference is to not have controls on the guitar, and as little as possible stuck to the sound board, so that is not the direction I wish to go.
Miniflex - this is somewhat intriguing. I like how I could wire my existing UST to the stereo jack, and use a Y cable into my Dtar.
Seems the model 4 would be the choice, however I wonder if I can do a similar thing myself? All it would require is a clamp of some sort for the internal mic, and a trs stereo jack. are these items available separately somewhere?

Custom mount for the 4099G - Very cool. Would likely be my preferred course of action, but I have no way to fab such a piece.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Hello. My current rig blends a UST and a DPA 4099G. I find the sound of the 4099G to be good when well placed, however it is a constant struggle to keep it in place. It's to the point where maybe it's more trouble then it's worth. So - what is the likelihood of getting an internal mic that sounds as good? Or, is there a kit or something that would retrofit the 4099G to internal?
Have you given any thought to the Tone Dexter ? I don't use one but it seems to be getting good review .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-25-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Have you given any thought to the Tone Dexter ? I don't use one but it seems to be getting good review .
Can't say that I have. Thanks for making me aware of it. I would think it would sound at least somewhat digital to me, as most digital things do, but I also think it's a very interesting idea, and somewhere down the road it may be the answer.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-25-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Custom mount for the 4099G - Very cool. Would likely be my preferred course of action, but I have no way to fab such a piece.
There are tons of 3d-printing online-services. So principally everyone can do it without having any hardware. You just have to upload the CAD-file.

However you may need 2 tries to find the perfect shape for your heel. I can help, provide the file and make modifications to it. Just let me know if you are interested.

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification