The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2002, 04:53 PM

Default Nylons not loud enough?

This seems to be the big complaint on these models. Having played them, I would have to agree. But why? They are made with as good or better material than the standard other brands. Is the only difference the width of the neck? How does this effect volume?

814ce-LTD Brazilian
Old 04-27-2002, 07:26 PM

Dindnt like them myself. I think the bracing is to heavy. Just a thought but who am I? JW
Old 04-27-2002, 07:34 PM

Change strings ... the D'Addarios really hold them back. My NS came alive with Savarez strings ... at least 100% better.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:44 PM
jclif1995

i don't believe they are as big as a classical guitar....also, the strings appear to be closer to the body.....and yes..perhaps the bracing also detracts....these guitars sound wonderful plugged in though....very nice sound...at least the ns72 that i played...
Old 04-27-2002, 09:04 PM

Myself and a friend went out guitar shop hopping today which being a lefty is pretty torturous, there was a 410 but anyways...

He tried out the Rosewood, Maple, and Ovangkol nylons. The Ovangkol was definately the sleeper of the bunch and they all sounded nice plugged in but unplugged they seemed quiet and almost 'springy' if thats a good way of describing it.

The Ovangkol was nice and pretty inexpensive but in the range that the Rosewood and Maple were going for, theres too many good classicals out there that would just bury them in projection and character acoustically.

I rarely plug in so no TAS for the nylon here.

Derek
Old 04-27-2002, 10:54 PM

I have to agree. I haven't played the ovangkol yet, but I've had a chance with each of the others. They all played like butter, but seemed very reserved. The NS7 was the nicest, I think.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:22 AM

Bummer, here I was all excited thinking that Taylor had made a nylon string acoustic/electric that could project and now this.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jclif1995
i don't believe they are as big as a classical guitar....also, the strings appear to be closer to the body.....and yes..perhaps the bracing also detracts....these guitars sound wonderful plugged in though....very nice sound...at least the ns72 that i played...
But if you have to plug it in its just not acoustic anymore. Just my thoughts. JW
Old 04-28-2002, 06:37 AM

Thumbs up NS-4

When I first played my NS-4, I was amazed at the huge sound! I still am! I have never played an actual classical style guitar, so I can't compare the two. But my NS-4 has a wonderful full sound. On the other hand, my 414 koa has a beautiful sound, but it is not nearly as loud. I know the problem with the 414 koa is me and not the guitar. As I improve, I really believe I will be able to get more sound from my 414 (playing fingerstyle; it is plenty loud with a flatpick). But, even with my limited ability, my NS-4 is really alive!
Old 04-28-2002, 03:49 PM

I agree that the Taylor nylons do not project as well as some traditional classical guitars. I don’t think that its lack of projection (as compared to a classical guitar) adequately evaluates this new model from Taylor.

The traditional classical guitar had to project well not because projection made it sound better but because it was often played un-amplified in a large concert hall. Even if the guitar sounded good, lack of projection meant it couldn’t be heard well whether being played solo, in an ensemble or with an orchestra. Even though I see more classical guitarists mic’d these days (especially when playing with an orchestra), projection is still a quality by which a good classical guitar is judged.

In the case of non-classical nylon string guitars, I would judge the guitar more by it’s tone and playability. Specifically, the Taylor to me sounds very even, very well balanced with a sweet, soft upper register and a clear, resonant bass. As for playability, the 1-7/8” neck width combined with the nice, gentle radius of the fingerboard, makes for a very nice playing guitar.

It’s plenty loud for playing in my home, but more importantly, it has a very pleasant tone that sounds just like how a nylon stringed guitar should sound, at least to my ears. If projection becomes an issue, I plan to plug into my amp. After all, most types of music outside the classical genre have a long standing tradition of guilt free electrical amplification.

The classical guitar has been there as nylon string guitars made their way outside of the classical genre. Chet Atkins, Earl Klugh, Charlie Byrd, Antonio Carlo Jobim, Jonathan Butler, Jeff Linsky, Jose Feliciano, Kenny Rankin and the like, have all played the traditional classical guitar in their respective styles of music at some point if not throughout their careers. However, many have ventured away from the classical because even though the best classical projects well, it’s not quite loud enough to play through the drums, electric bass, keyboards, saxophone, vocals and percussion. And, unfortunately, the traditional classical guitar does not plug in very well due to feedback issues.

Anyway, if you are considering a non-classical nylon stringed guitar, definitely play a Taylor. You might find it has exactly the tone and playability for which you are looking.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:55 PM

Thumbs down

Tried two, doubt I'll try anymore.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:55 PM

I have also tried the 3,4,6 and 7's, and didn't bite on any. This, for me is a surprise!
I played a Takamine 132CS, which sounded great, and a Ramirez, which sounded even better. As big a Taylor fan as I am, I think I'll probably pass on the NS for now. However, I will ask the dealer if he might put different strings (as noted earlier in the thread) to see if that livens them up.
BTW, I too thought the NS4 was the sleeper - good tone and projection, though still quiet. The NS72 had the most warmth, though still, less than alive unplugged.

MC
Old 04-28-2002, 06:10 PM

Smile I LOVE EVERYBODY!

Shemp...

I've never known you to come to such a strong opinion so quickly.

Maybe try buddiesorg's suggestion...

What if the first girl you ever kissed had some leftover tuna sandwich in her mouth?

Sincerely,

Your friend Bubba Trees.

Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 04-29-2002, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Caldermt
I have also tried the 3,4,6 and 7's, and didn't bite on any. This, for me is a surprise!
I played a Takamine 132CS, which sounded great
MC
I bought a CD132CS Takamine a little over a year ago new for about 5-600(I think)dollars. It has a solid back but laminate sides and plays and sounds like a dream. Until Taylor can build something better I think I will stick with it. In all fairness first run models of anything can be a learning experiance. Im sure in 5 years they will be killer. JW
Old 04-30-2002, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up NS-4

I agree with you, JW. I think the Nylon Series will be killer in five years. Taylor guitars always just get better and better. I even thought about that before getting my NS-4. But I was wanting a nylon string guitar, and the price was in my range. (I ordered from Buffalo Brothers.) Also, I wanted one of Taylor's first NS guitars. I have been completely blown away by my NS-4! It is much better than I ever expected! The wood is beautiful all the way around. The spruce top is so clean looking (no bear claws). The sound is amazing! I am a very happy Taylor owner!

Best to you all,
Marcia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification