The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2002, 01:39 PM

Default Funny thing happened today - Martin D17

I've been searching lately for something special to strum, and spring has probably contributed to this. I've been all over looking at Grand Auditorium Taylors and nothing speaks to me like my K14c. So today I go in to my local shop and their Taylors are limited and familiar. I try or look at the others... a Collings, Larivee. I blow by the Gibsons and Gretch and there's the Martins. I try these from time to time and am never too excited. The last time I played a special one, was an SPD-16 maple... of all guitars. It was loud, but balanced like my old 615. I understand the rosewood model was sweet too. I see this brand new All Mahogany D17, it's ugly, but I'm attracted because of a history with Mahogany guitars. My brother had this great Yairi in the 70's and I had a 50th anniversary model Yairi w/cedar top and quilted Back & sides like the XXV Taylor. Then I bought a 314MCE 25th anniv. a couple of years ago, and it was killer. But I moved on and got the K14c and eventually a 410MA LOTF(for live play). So I pick it up. A guy says "we just got it in." Tortoise binding w/thin white line inlay, gold shallers, gloss back and sides. I strum thinking here comes Martin. Well, it's like 4 of the guitars I've owned rolled into one including the "vintage" martin sound I've heard here and there. I never thought I'd own one, but I knew this was one of the special ones. It's still ugly, but the voice is so unique. It has infinite sustain, nice warm midrange projection and then you get the Martin bass, but it doesn't thud like mud, it rolls up in and thru the other frequency with that sustain and sings. I put it down, played the Taylor 810B LOTF under it. Picked up the D17, strummed some more and took it to the cash register(after negotiating a better price). I'm not leaving my Taylors trust me -I love em. But I bought a guitar simply cause I closed my eyes, heard what I wanted. I couldn't find anything wrong and the price was right.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:10 PM

I know what your talking about.

The SAME thing happened to me last Tuesday............walked out with the SDP16R.
One thing for sure.....I am, and always will be a true Taylor fan!!!!

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 04-26-2002, 02:11 PM

Congrats - nice axe! There's room for more than one brand - enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:54 PM

Way to go!

As for the looks, it's not really THAT bad; it's certainly better than the satin finish on the D-15....

Daren
310-KCE
Old 04-26-2002, 07:22 PM

Hey!

I'm sitting here staring at the monitor with my D-15 slung around my neck, and I think it's way cool!!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:22 PM

Geelinus,

No offense intended and I hope none taken! I'm actually a fan of the D-15, but gotta say that the D-17 is better looking....in my humble opinion.

Then again, I could be wrong!

Daren
310-KCE
Old 04-27-2002, 11:38 AM

I have played 2 17's: a 0017 "so sing out" and a d17. Both really were nice, and reasonably priced too. The fit and finish was not Taylor on the d17. can't speak for the 0017 because I can't remember that. I didn't think they were ugly for my tastes. Both had an unbelievable tone that rang forever.
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)
Old 04-27-2002, 03:28 PM

Daren,

No offense taken. I'm very secure in my D-15's coolness and extremely eager to share that coolness with the masses.
Have a spiffy day!

Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification