The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Wink ES...external pre-ap

I've moved from the loving the ES to the hating ES camp over the last couple years. However, I have a killer 710 that is a great guitar. I've tried using the switches on off on off...makes no difference..What they need IS A BLEND SWITCH....BOB TAYLOR IF YOU EVER READ THIS...PUT IN A BLEND SWITCH!!!...the switches on the new ES just turn off the wrong pick-ups. I think if you could blend the neck pickup it would be fine...Well, now to my question...does anyone using the ES just set it flat and use an external pre-amp to make it sound better?...I just ordered a Fishman Pro EQ for another guitar and wondered if it would help my ES. Thanks..and no offense to all you ES lovers...
Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I do. I have used a Baggs PADI to cut mids quite a bit and also some treble, plus it gives me a phase switch. If I stick with the ES, I will definately invest in a K4, but I'm not totally commited to the system yet.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM

In my experience, the K4 does NOT help, it MAGNIFIES the problem...

REPLACING the ES with a different system did the trick for me!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Default some thoughts

Previously posted:

I think your search for ES compatibility will be very frustrating. I am speaking mainly about the 3 volt (two AA) battery ES system, of which I tried the early model (before 2004) and later (after 2004, before the 9 volt upgrade).

I tried everything, which is not very specific so I will put more detail in a future post, but I could not get the Taylor ES amplification system to sound to my satisfaction. The mods included, but were not limited to, Schertler Dyn-G in conjuction with the ES , bone nut and saddle, many string changes, EQ modified by high quality mixer, Taylor K4, Avalon U5 and many other mods over a 3 year period. My live amp is a Fishman Loudbox performer, but these experiments involve a variety of studio setups as well.

I have no vested interest in liking OR disliking the ES or Taylor guitars, but the ES, along with the hot b string, were not to be tamed. It is just too electronic sounding. And I am not a UST fanatic or disparager, I just want good sound. I would wear trout boots and a bikini in performance if it helped the guitar sound better. The ES would not bring me closer. I know it is fashionably politic to state it is all very personal and some will find the ES satisfying but I can tell you this: my other guitar preamp setups are not identical sounding and they are both very pleasing for live or studio performance. My post here covers mainly "plugged in" sound as I find miked guitars with a blended preamp signal superior to all plugged in setups.

In ten minutes (no exaggeration) I had more natural (and I don't mean lean and bland), involving and satisfying sound with an Aura equipped Martin and/or a stock Cole Clark, both live and in the studio, than I had from quite a few years of trying to get satisfaction out of the ES system. For "plug and play" these two systems are especially great. No more ES for me but, to each his own.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM

I sure think the trout boots and bikini idea is worthy of consideration! :-)
Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Default hey!

Mike, I'll work on it but, believe me, that IS an ugly image! And it will probably help if I can play a little too. Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification