The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-24-2003, 10:29 PM

Moose, sorry about your experience with the Carvin system. I suspect you tried one because so many of us recommended them. I was surprised by what you said about the one you bought, but then I've never had your needs.

Another possibility for you to consider is a quality keyboard amp. I'm fond of the Roland KC series, the KC500 for my needs, perhaps the KC300 or even KC100 for yours. They're broad-range, powerful but quiet, and at least the two larger units have a built-in 4 channel mixer. They offer good flexibility, and two of them can be chained together for stereo.

Come to think of it, I don't believe the current models include an XLR, though one channel can be used for a mic.

It's just a thought. If the more traditional answers discussed above don't quite fit, try a keyboard amp.

cotten

Also, how 'bout a small mixer and a quality powered speaker? I like the JBL EON G2's, but there are lots of others to choose from.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:56 AM

Moose,
Like you, I only play at home. I had the same problem that you have, but I finally settled on the Ultrasound AG-30. It arrived last Friday and I could not be happier. I can't imagine needing more amp at home.
Cordoba FCWE Gipsy King
Cordoba 20 Estudio

Arthur
Old 02-25-2003, 11:50 AM

Cotten, I agree with you. The carvin was just too powerful, not really bad quality, just too much power for what i wanted to do. nothings against carvin... I know I will be going back to them for a couple more CM68s.
The ultrasound sound like a wonderful amp that I really couldnt go wrong with if I bought it... I just keep thinking of expandability... The Ultrasound runs about 470 on the internet... and the extension speaker would be about 280. That is alot of money.... for a very simple object it is a lot of money. The PA will have extremely more options and I may be able to buy like you were saying, a high quality 4-6 channel mixer ( the flat ones, not the powered boxes) and then get a nice Speaker or two....nice high quality ones...
Old 02-26-2003, 07:00 AM

Moose,

At the risk of seeming commercial try the 50DS2 with the Extension Cab. It's my favorite setup!

The Doc
Old 02-26-2003, 10:30 AM

thanks doc that is probably what I will do, I would rather do that than get the 100 W... Looks like an Ultrasound is hard to beat. Any info on when the Double XLR will start shipping?
Old 02-26-2003, 12:01 PM

Moose,

Greg, the gentleman who designed the amp, is currently working on some different features. When and where is still up for grabs since we like to test everything before introduction. You can be sure that the input from this forum has been considered.

Don't let that stop you from testing the setup that includes the extension cabinet. It will only make you want ti sooner 8>)

The Doc
Old 02-26-2003, 07:59 PM

wonderfull. Now if I wanted to go down and test one of the current DS2 models would It be comparable to plug an ES into the 1/4 and play and then plug it into the microphone line and test it again? or would the new dual XLR setup be "geared" differently? I guess I am asking if the Microphone line is setup at all different than a "guitar XLR" would be.

Thanks Again
Old 02-26-2003, 10:33 PM

We are talking about playing at HOME, with an amplifier for an acoustic guitar. Why?

At practice with a group (2,3,4...) I can see. Playing out at a club, coffee house, book store,etc. I can see.

Is it to get the sound back at you, that you miss hanging over the top?

I really am trying to see the need, honest, I feel I'm missing something.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:17 PM

Ahh my friend... my interest is in sitting down... turning on the amp and playing nice...fine tuned music useing a microphone and a Guitar... ocassional light effects... but... the electronic thing grasps me tightly.. I light to sit down and turn up the amp and strum away for hours... there is just another world that you open up with electricity. Benjamin Franklin would have agreed with me greatly, as would Bob Taylor.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:51 AM

Moose,

It will be geared the same. I am afraid I am getting ahead of production in all of this since Greg is only now assembling the first prototype. From that we will make decisions about how to tune the amp.

The Doc
Old 02-27-2003, 11:10 PM

Ahh so once again the concept of a PA is raised.
What is your setup? Do you get a lot of hummmm? what would you say the advantages and disadvantages are?

Thanks.

-Moose

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification