The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Default string recommendations for cedar over acacia?

I have a Pono 000 cedar over acacia, and am wanting to spend some time exploring string alternatives this summer (right now my brain knows more about strings than my ear does, and I need to fix that pronto). It is currently strung with D'Addario EJ 16s, which is what they are shipped with. Obviously I need to see what I like, but I also need some options to start with. Anybody with this model or experience with this wood combination that would like to offer some suggestions?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:08 PM

I don't have any personal experience with a cedar top over acacia, but do have it with cedar over koa and cedar over mahogany. The first set of strings I would try over that guitar would be John Pearse phosphor bronze strings. They're quite different-sounding from the D'Addario phosphors, and to my ear, anyway, have more tonal complexity to them.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM

I've had a Pono parlor cedar over mahogany for about a year now and have tried EJ 16, EXPs, Elixir lights, DR Sunbeams, Martin Monels, John Pearse PB and 80/20s, DR Veritas, DR Dragon Skins, and currently have a set of EJ17 mediums on it. I've found something to like about all these strings. I think I'm leaning toward Elixirs right now mainly because I don't have acidic fingers but because my fingers are very dry and have a tendency to cause a lot of squeak sliding up and down the neck. Elixirs seem to minimize this best for me. Other coated strings feel rubbery to me and can actually cause more squeak. Tonally speaking, the guitar is very krisp so the sound of the D'Addario's and John Pearse tone this down a bit for my ear when others just emphasized the brightness too much for me. The John Pearse strings felt pretty good on my fingers for not being coated and sounded great. They would be my first choice if going with a non-coated string. But I would suggest you take the time and try as many different strings as you can. It can be a great journey experiencing different strings first hand for yourself and have a lot of fun in the process.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 PM

My 514ce-LTD is cedar and granadillo. The KOA will be a little different from granadillo, but I use Elixir nanoweb HD lights on that guitar. I haven't had it long, and will soon change to the third set. I'll put on another set of the Elixirs.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM

Thanks, all. Any other ideas out there?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 PM

Not much experience with acacia, specifically. But I just tossed a set of EB Aluminum Bronze strings on my SCGC FS, and I'm really liking what I hear. This guitar is Cedar over Indian RW. 16" lower bout, so it's got some depth. This set replaces some John Pearce phosphor bronze new-mediums. Those sounded very good, but as they settled in I found myself missing some brilliance, for lack of a better term. Of note, those particular Pearse strings are my favs - really good for most anything. But on this SCGC guitar, the aluminum bronze strings seems to restore what a cedar/RW instrument perhaps inherently lacks - brilliance and shine in the mids, in particular.

This guitar seems to be an outlier. Pearse PB strings are fantastic, but this FS is it's own beast.

(disclaimer: I play fingerstyle exclusively, nails on strings. YMMV. If you're a strummer, go with the Pease PBs. They're really nice.)

Last edited by Scallywag; 04-25-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 AM

From another very happy Pono owner...congrats on your guitar!

I have a Cedar/Mahogany Larrivee' L03 that loves Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. From what I have heard, Acacia is similar to Mahogany, maybe a little less focused and a little richer sounding. As you already probably know, Cedar is very responsive. The EB's really give some nice overtones and there is no doubt in my mind they project better than regular PB strings. I have been using them on the L03 for almost a year now and am very happy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-24-2017, 07:15 AM

I don't have any experience with Pono, but I do recommend two strings that have impressed me lately.

1) I love the EB AB on my cheap Martin, but if the Pono is a bright guitar already, it may be overkill.

2) The D'Addario Nickel Bronze are also quite good sounding. I'd recommend them a lot!

The other question is if you are running 11's could try going up to 12's?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Jimmy,
I have the same guitar, but mine has a cutaway. I've had it two years.
I play mostly fingerstyle with flesh and nail. This guitar is the one I keep in standard tuning, so I don't use the GHS True Mediums I use for my altered tuning guitars (and really like!), but I tried GHS Vintage Bronze lights and they are very pleasing--though I just put on some GHS Silk and Bronze recently and they are definitely louder but not as mellow as I thought the silk would give...I like a mellow sound, as my tunes lean toward the Will Ackerman tonality. You see a trend with the GHS use? I like to support a local company if possible, and GHS strings come thru most always.
I've tried J Pearse PB and these sounded to me just like the old standard D'Add EJ16s, either of which aren't bad and could do in a pinch.
Right now I consider the GHS Vintage Bronze the regular strings for this guitar. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I don't have any experience with Pono, but I do recommend two strings that have impressed me lately.

1) I love the EB AB on my cheap Martin, but if the Pono is a bright guitar already, it may be overkill.

2) The D'Addario Nickel Bronze are also quite good sounding. I'd recommend them a lot!

The other question is if you are running 11's could try going up to 12's?
Have been considering this possibility, as a matter of fact. It is so darn playable right now that I hate to mess with it;; I always seem to find myself in a playability vs tone quandary. JJ1
Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM

There are almost 1000 known acacia species many with vastly different properties as tonewoods. So it probably depends on what specific acacia species is used for the guitar. Cedar may be nice with silk & bronze.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJeff1 View Post
Have been considering this possibility, as a matter of fact. It is so darn playable right now that I hate to mess with it;; I always seem to find myself in a playability vs tone quandary. JJ1
If you have an EJ16 set on you already have 12-53 strings. You can stay with these gauges and still get some variation by trying different brands / meterials, playability should then not be an issue.

I don't have experience with acacia b/s and even if someone does it might not necessarily help to follow what others do. On my Cedar topped guitar with Walnut I like PB strings (Wyres PB coated) but favour uncoated 80/20 or NB on other guitars.

You could say try NB1253 strings to get an impression of the effect - this might confirm you prefer the EJ16 strings still, in which case it narrows things down to maybe trying the alternative PB strings suggested.

Enjoy the quest!

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 04-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Yep, you caught me in a brain cramp moment--misread the post. Thanks for the suggestion. JJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
If you have an EJ16 set on you already have 12-53 strings. You can stay with these gauges and still get some variation by trying different brands / meterials, playability should then not be an issue.

I don't have experience with acacia b/s and even if someone does it might not necessarily help to follow what others do. On my Cedar topped guitar with Walnut I like PB strings (Wyres PB coated) but favour uncoated 80/20 or NB on other guitars.

You could say try NB1253 strings to get an impression of the effect - this might confirm you prefer the EJ16 strings still, in which case it narrows things down to maybe trying the alternative PB strings suggested.

Enjoy the quest!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion